Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I took my RL to the dealer to get the airbag recall done. When I go to pick it up they tell me that the front and side motor mounts are both bad. I'm always a little skeptic about the dealer. The truck only has 110,000 on it and that just seams premature to me. How can I tell if they are really bad and can someone with any experience tell me why they would even be checking them to do an airbag recall. Oh and they quoted me $600 to fix them and to do it soon or I'd be replacing axels as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Sounds about the mileage mine went. Front engine front drive are hard on mounts. Its called upsell. They are even worse when it is warranty pay cause it pays crap so they try to make an extra buck. $600 sounds about right. Pain to do the side ones atleast the passenger one. See if you can find OEM cheaper online then bring them in. I dont understand needing the axles though......It could if they are really bad put a little undo stress on the cvs on full throttle pulls....

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK Thanks S.T.U.V. The front one doesn't look like it would be too bad to change. The one on the passenger side looks like alot of stuff would have to be removed to get to. Is there a specific sight to look on for OEM parts or just Ebay?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Have you done your Timing Belt yet??? If not, they should be able to shave some labor off of your motor mount estimate by doing it at the same time (presuming you get a decent quote from them for the TB replacement).
Otherwise, you'd be wise to get a second estimate from an local independent (but Honda specific) shop.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I had the TB done around 80,000 since the RL was 8 years old at the time.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
OK Thanks S.T.U.V. The front one doesn't look like it would be too bad to change. The one on the passenger side looks like alot of stuff would have to be removed to get to. Is there a specific sight to look on for OEM parts or just Ebay?

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/

You can get the oem #'s from this site then plug them into ebay, amazon. And if you are comfortable with an independent shop it wouldn't hurt to get a quote from them. Just only use OEM mounts. Aftermarket just suck.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks. I was wondering about the aftermarket ones. I know I've went with OEM on evereything else and its worked out pretty well.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
How can the average Joe tell if the mounts are actually bad
Need 2 people. One to sit in the vehicle with the ridge in drive and foot hard on the brake. One to watch the motor move. The inside person revs motor from no throttle to about half throttle then back off, If motor has excessive movement or noticeable "clunks" they are bad. Usually any movement over an inch ish is excessive.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
And you either really trust the person in the drivers seat, or stand on either side.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks!! Guess mine are actually bad then. When you just put it in gear it moves almost an inch then seams like that much more when it is give a little gas.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks!! Guess mine are actually bad then. When you just put it in gear it moves almost an inch then seams like that much more when it is give a little gas.
Well there ya' go then! Nice to know what's wrong anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm planning on going ahead and swapping out the radiator as well since it looks like the front mount would be so much easier with it out. Kill two birds withone stone

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
You might check for play in your fans (at the hub) while you're in there if you've got a lot of miles on your '06. I've got one that's started to make some noise & I need to replace. Just something to check while you're "in there".

;)

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I'm planning on going ahead and swapping out the radiator as well since it looks like the front mount would be so much easier with it out. Kill two birds withone stone
That is the 'easier' one to replace as well. Mine failed at 38K. Symptoms were subtle but excess engine movement observed when revving up from idle was noticeable.

·
Registered
353 Posts
When I did my front mount, I had to remove the fans anyway.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thankss I'll check the fans as well. I'm still waiting on the mount to come in. Ordered one from Majestic Honda. They were cheaper than anyone on Amazon and my dealer but dang the shipping is a little slow. Found the side mount on Ebay and it was here in 2 days.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can some one tell me what the torque values are for the motormount bolts? Also for the top nut on the front mount. Greatly appreciated

1 - 20 of 20 Posts