Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well was doing a fitting today and my brother just talked to Honda salesman and they tol him that the motor is designed to fall down on impact. This is for safety reasons. Now a skidplate would void the warranty if this is true and a HUGE liability.
So I have to phone Honda Canada and see if this salesman is telling the truth or he is full of it (as most are). So this has halted my forward road on these plates.
A skidplate would prevent the speed of the motor falling down if this is how it is designed.

On the other end my brothers pretty dissapointed with it after he was told that as he's been on some mud/sticks trails and smacked his tranni.

So tomorrow will let you know if I can get a hold of someone.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Outback,

I was told the same thing by a salesperon. That the engine is designed to roll down and under in a front on collision. That does sound like a deal buster for the skip plate. There has to be an engineering way around it though. Just depends on much it'll cost I guess which will probably price it right outta the market.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It doesn't matter what the salesman says. What matters is what the warranty says. The warranty is your contract and describes what voids the warranty. If a modification such as a skidplate isn't restricted in your warranty, then you should be OK (legally). If you are in an accident bad enough to knock your motor loose, the warranty is the least of your problems. I hope we figure something out because I would like some protection and a couple inches of lift to make up for the additional clearance lost by the platting.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
I could see if you welded the skidplate in place, but I just can't imagine that an impact severe enough to crush the motor underneath the frame wouldn't rip the skidplate bolts clean off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Bad news Is Good news.

I dont care if it voids the warranty i want skidplates. And when somone makes them i will buy them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not worried about if it Voids the Warranty I'm worried about Liability if that motor does not roll down on account of the skidplate being there.

I hear you that those bolts would probably bust off due to the weight of the engine, but can I be sure of that?

I really want to make this a go but that's a HUge liability and I would be responsible. I will see what Honda Canada says and go from there.

As I have a new design which will cover the underneath and the front. So no more plastic at all. This will be a 2plate design as the 1pc would cost you guys huge amount on shipping and myself I hate those charges. So that is why the 2pc skidplates (if I make them for production).

Note: I do want to offer skids as I spent allot of time for them to be wasted.

Thanks for the quick replies guys it's appreciated! :)

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Anytime you manufacture something in the USA and sell it, you should be concerned, and protected, against liability.

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Are you an attorney, arteegee?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Its a safety feature the engine drops so it doesn't come through the the firewall and into the front cabin which can cause serious bodily inury, I wouldnt put a skid plate on it will prevent the car from doing what it was designed to do in case of a high speed head on collison

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unless it's 1/2" thick steel with big bolts, a skid plate isn't going to make a whack of difference in an impact strong enough to force the motor down and back.

If you guys are really worried, just make the skid plate stop at the front axle line.

BTW, the engine is forced down by the truck's firewall. And that firewall is thick.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I talked to the honda service manager yesterday he said the engine and tranny are mounted with break away bolts and at a 55mph impact the bolts shear off and everything drops the firewall holds the force of the engine so the bolts can break he said then the motor and tranny are fall

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
shovelhd said:
Are you an attorney, arteegee?
I doubt it. He sounds too honest and straight foward.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Maybe you can make a 2 piece seamed plate and find out where the breakaway points are so the plate engine and trannie can all drop if needed? :cool:

·
Registered
17 Posts
i got another idea, just install the skidplate and then dont run into anything. :eek:

see, its simple. actually i need to crawl my fat tail under it and see whats where cuz i used to crawl my steep ditch in my tacoma, just for the hellova it. been gunshy to do it in the ridge...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
bellteck said:
Maybe you can make a 2 piece seamed plate and find out where the breakaway points are so the plate engine and trannie can all drop if needed? :cool:
That's what I was making the first on my site was just a first proto to get the bends right.

The 2 plate was a go until I talked to Honda and they told me no.

So my brother is now not taking his RL offroad no more as we went out and he got stuck and took him around 10min's to get out and the last time he pulled his boat into a lake, and the trail to the lake is made out of Rocks and he smoked his muffler and dinged another part underneath. So he's not impressed he talked to Honda as well, and they told him no protection in the front or under the front.

I think the dealers should be more honest when people buy these trucks from them instead of telling them one thing at first then another. Just my opinion.

So sorry guys
Talk to you later,
Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Outback said:
I hear you that those bolts would probably bust off due to the weight of the engine, but can I be sure of that?
Just a quick question concerning that comment. If those bolts busted off due to the weight of the engine , doesnt that defeat the point of a skidplate? In other words, the engine that is designed to drop down weighs maybe 700 lbs. If it only takes 700 lbs of weight to bust the bolts, what good is the skid gonna do when it has more like 3500 lbs sitting on it? :rolleyes: Just a question.
-Harrison

1 - 20 of 44 Posts