Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My original tonneau cover was a Bak Flip VP and it lasted for ~5 years before it began to slowly disintegrate right before my eyes. For those not familiar with the VP model it had all the features you expect of a Bak Flip, but the top was covered in vinyl to make it look more like a classic tonneau cover.

My new cover is the Access Original, and it looks great. I picked this one up on eBay for a cool $450! My reasons for going for this cover were: price, look, company reputation, rear window sight-line, and tailgate operation independent of cover. Something else that sealed the deal was there was a guy selling one on Craigslist that he had owned for 12 years and it still looked great! I had no intention of buying his 12 year-old cover, but his cover was a testament to the quality of the product.

Along the way I almost purchased a Gator roll up, but I was not sure how long it would last, I hated the price, and did not want to loose the bed space for the container.

Without further ado, pros and cons of each, and some photos of the new cover.

Pros of the Bak Flip:
  • Hard cover
  • Great initial customer service
  • VP model looked great! (discontinued...probably because it disintegrates after 5 years)
Cons of the Bak Flip:
  • Blocks rear window :(
  • Heavy :(
  • VP model discontinued, and the fiber look is not so attractive in my opinion.
  • Takes up bed space
  • Does not last as long as it should for a pricey bed cover. If a company is selling crazy expensive bed covers, they should last, or at last stand behind them when they fall apart. I called Bak Flip and their solution was to sell me a brand new cover at "discount."
Pros of Access Cover Original
  • Has the classic tonneau cover look
  • Gets out of the way when hauling things
  • Mounts a little deeper in the bed, which is nice!
  • Thick material!
  • Does not block the rear window
  • Rolls up/down quick and cover is tight!
  • Can keep OEM upper bed tie downs! Looks like I can mount up an OEM bicycle rack with cover in place. Woot. Woot.
  • Allows tailgate to open close without messing with the cover!
  • Cheaper... much cheaper...
  • Three rails instead of two, which is nice.
Cons of Access Cover Original
  • Probably not going to be as weather tight, but we will see. Where the rails meet the bed is not as tight in the middle; a middle bracket could have resolved this... maybe I will make one. I might also run a bead of black silicone down the rail-bed joint which would seal things up nicely.
  • Instructions are a little weak, but you can muddle through it if you are handy
  • A little more care could be put into rail manufacturing. I had to get out my trusty file to make the side rails fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
My original tonneau cover was a Bak Flip VP and it lasted for ~5 years before it began to slowly disintegrate right before my eyes. For those not familiar with the VP model it had all the features you expect of a Bak Flip, but the top was covered in vinyl to make it look more like a classic tonneau cover.

My new cover is the Access Original, and it looks great. I picked this one up on eBay for a cool $450! My reasons for going for this cover were: price, look, company reputation, rear window sight-line, and tailgate operation independent of cover. Something else that sealed the deal was there was a guy selling one on Craigslist that he had owned for 12 years and it still looked great! I had no intention of buying his 12 year-old cover, but his cover was a testament to the quality of the product.

Along the way I almost purchased a Gator roll up, but I was not sure how long it would last, I hated the price, and did not want to loose the bed space for the container.

Without further ado, pros and cons of each, and some photos of the new cover.

Pros of the Bak Flip:
  • Hard cover
  • Great initial customer service
  • VP model looked great! (discontinued...probably because it disintegrates after 5 years)
Cons of the Bak Flip:
  • Blocks rear window :(
  • Heavy :(
  • VP model discontinued, and the fiber look is not so attractive in my opinion.
  • Takes up bed space
  • Does not last as long as it should for a pricey bed cover. If a company is selling crazy expensive bed covers, they should last, or at last stand behind them when they fall apart. I called Bak Flip and their solution was to sell me a brand new cover at "discount."
Pros of Access Cover Original
  • Has the classic tonneau cover look
  • Gets out of the way when hauling things
  • Mounts a little deeper in the bed, which is nice!
  • Thick material!
  • Does not block the rear window
  • Rolls up/down quick and cover is tight!
  • Can keep OEM upper bed tie downs! Looks like I can mount up an OEM bicycle rack with cover in place. Woot. Woot.
  • Allows tailgate to open close without messing with the cover!
  • Cheaper... much cheaper...
  • Three rails instead of two, which is nice.
Cons of Access Cover Original
  • Probably not going to be as weather tight, but we will see. Where the rails meet the bed is not as tight in the middle; a middle bracket could have resolved this... maybe I will make one. I might also run a bead of black silicone down the rail-bed joint which would seal things up nicely.
  • Instructions are a little weak, but you can muddle through it if you are handy
  • A little more care could be put into rail manufacturing. I had to get out my trusty file to make the side rails fit.
Had one on my "06" G1 for 13 years looked like new when I sold the truck. Never had to do any type of treatment to it. Very little water entry nothing that mattered. After 9 years the rope broke with no way to repair, called Access to order a new one and I had it in a couple days with no charge....nice . I ordered one when I purchased my G2.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear it! Access seems like a very reputable company. Still loving my cover at the one week mark!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Super Moderator
5,370 Posts
Glad to hear it! Access seems like a very reputable company. Still loving my cover at the one week mark!
I had the Bakflip VP on my Tundra, but did not own the vehicle long enough for the tonneau cover to wear out. Glad you like your access cover. I have an UnderCover Ultra Flex on my G2 Ridgeline.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
That's a good looking tonneau! I still have the original Truxedo that I got in 2011. It's tough to find one that will stand the test of time. Let us know how it holds up.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies! I will keep everyone posted on the Access cover.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My '06 RTL came with the Access cover when I bought it used in 2013. I do a mostly highway driving. I just returned from New Orleans over the Christmas holidays. I noticed that the velcro doesn't hold as tight as it used to. I saw a YouTube video on replacing the strips. Looked pretty simple. remove two screws, slide old strip out, slide new strip in, replace screws. Easy. I called the company for replacement velcro strips. I was told, that because of the recessed design on the Ridgeline, I'd have to remove the rails first. I'm just wondering how complicated it is to remove and re-install the rails.

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would shoot Access an email; they might have a solution. Also, they seem to be a company that stands behind their products. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2013 Honda Ridgeline
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
6 month check in - Still love it!

Thoughts:
  • I left it rolled up the last week or two, and thanks to some rain, my truck bed is looking cleaner than it has in a long time!
  • I feared there might be some issues with snow since it is a soft cover, but no issues
  • Slightly more noisy than a hard top when heading down the highway with the back window open.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts