Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This goes for any of the models that isn't the MX4 but supposedly you have open the tonneau and then close the tailgate. I just had the G2 installed and I'm not seeing anything around the tailgate that would preclude me from closing the tailgate with the cover already closed. Was there a redesign? Misinstallation? I've been doing it so far just in case but does anyone else have experience with this? Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
2020 Ridgeline RTLE Obsidian Blue Pearl, "The Blue Pearl"
26 Posts
I have an OEM tonneau on a 2020 and I have never opened the tonneau in order to close the tailgate in either direction, swing open or fold down. I have seen this stated in other posts and have never understood that. Misinformation perhaps.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I had a Bakflip on a Chevy Silverado. Remember having to close the tailgate before dropping the cover into place to lock the slam latches. The tailgate could not close if the lid was latched into place... until the slam latches began to pull loose from the cover with road vibration over time. Then the latches became loose enough to jamb the tailgate closed without opening the last panel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an OEM tonneau on a 2020 and I have never opened the tonneau in order to close the tailgate in either direction, swing open or fold down. I have seen this stated in other posts and have never understood that. Misinformation perhaps.
Thanks for the quick reply! The installation video I watched and Bakflips own website said it was required but some of Bakflips materials they sent with the cover are extremely out of date. I'll probably end up just opening and closing the tailgate without touching the cover. My grandfather's Sierra has a Bakflip cover and he doesn't open the cover to close it though I am unsure of what model he of cover he has though it seemingly doesn't matter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a Bakflip on a Chevy Silverado. Remember having to close the tailgate before dropping the cover into place to lock the slam latches. The tailgate could not close if the lid was latched into place... until the slam latches began to pull loose from the cover with road vibration over time. Then the latches became loose enough to jamb the tailgate closed without opening the last panel.
If that is the case its possible the cover might not be as close as its supposed to be to the tailgate. My tailgate comes nowhere close to any of the rails or the cover latches. Right now while I've been doing the recommended operation I'm not seeing anything (rails cover, latches) that would preclude me from just shutting the tailgate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Bakflip sits below & flush with the bed rails. So there is a wide flange that fits tight across the top of the tailgate and wide rubber seals on the bedrails that cover the water gutters. Basic operation is to open the tailgate to release the under-side slam latches to open the cover. Then close the tailgate before closing the last section of the tonneau so the seal sits firmly on the top of the tailgate.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If that is the case its possible the cover might not be as close as its supposed to be to the tailgate. My tailgate comes nowhere close to any of the rails or the cover latches. Right now while I've been doing the recommended operation I'm not seeing anything (rails cover, latches) that would preclude me from just shutting the tailgate.
You have an OE cover, Bakflip is different. Having owned a Bakflip, I personally would not buy another. It's design is for a flush look, my experience would be to get an Extang or OE cover that sits on top of the bed rails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have an OE cover, Bakflip is different. Having owned a Bakflip, I personally would not buy another. It's design is for a flush look, my experience would be to get an Extang or OE cover that sits on top of the bed rails.
It's BacFlip as I bought it direct and had it installed. I might have misspoke. When I say the the rails, cover, and latches I mean when I close the tailgate the latches are not impacted by the tailgate at all. The rails are not touched either and the cover is only barely touching the tailgate but I can't see into the tailgate.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts