Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm researching the various tonneau covers for my RL. I've read a ton of info from the ROC forum archives. I've narrowed it down to a tri fold hardtop...most likely the BakFlip G2 or BakFlip FiberMax. Anybody have either one? Pros and cons? For instance:
I know they are not water tight, but if it's not much leakage, did anybody not use the drain tubes...if not, how's that working for you?
How much trunk opening do I lose from the BakFlip rails?
If I added a BedRug Mat with the cover, does the weight of the mat along with the trunk lid opening restriction prevent the lid from staying open by itself...or, does it need to be propped up?
Anything else you'd like to share would be great
Thanks, Randy

·
Registered
2011 RTL w/Nav
307 Posts
Randy,

Welcome to the forum. I've had a BakFlip for about seven years. I'm pretty sure it's the G2 model, but not certain. I love it. And you're right, it's not totally water proof, but it doesn't leak much. I've traveled long trips with luggage, etc., in the bed and never worried about it. The trunk lid is totally functional, meaning it opens almost all the way. Not a problem at all. Never used a bed mat, so can't help you there. Good luck, if you decide to go with a Backflip I'd expect you'd be happy with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KSPhoto,

Thanks for the reply. Once I narrowed it down to the two, I guess I was looking for a final reassurance from the ROC members.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Randy,

I have a Bakflip G2 I bought second hand from another ROC member and I love it. It's at least 5 or 6 years old now and works 100% like new (the black paint is starting to fade just a little, I'll buff it out this spring with some polish/wax). If there is a LOT of rain or if I park with the nose of the truck downward small amount of water dribbles down the front corners of the bed, but the cargo stays 100% dry.

I've also had a BedRug for about 4-years now and it still looks great and is so much easier on the old knees when loading/unloading. The BedRug is light enough that it does not have any effect on the trunk lid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
coolbob,

Thanks for the info and the pics. It seems most members are happy with their BakFlips.
Are those the drain tubes I noticed in the last photo? If so, are they fairly secure?...as in getting bumped from cargo and becoming disconnected.

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
Sharp eyes Randy, yes those are the drain tubes. I threaded the tubes through the lower tie-downs at the front corners of the bed and under the bed rug, I also trimmed the ends so they just reach the 'drain bowls' built into the bed. They have never moved from where they were installed several years ago.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again, coolbob.
So, to be clear, no holes are needed in the BedRug for the drain tubes...just slip underneath the mat. Also, no drilling into the drain plugs for the tubes like I've seen on some videos. Just pop off the 'drain bowl' cap and lay the trimmed tube inside the bowl...not through the drain and out the bottom.
Do I have this right?

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
So, to be clear, no holes are needed in the BedRug for the drain tubes...just slip underneath the mat. Also, no drilling into the drain plugs for the tubes like I've seen on some videos. Just pop off the 'drain bowl' cap and lay the trimmed tube inside the bowl...not through the drain and out the bottom.
Yup, that's all there is to it.

Reactions: smile-on

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the Bakflip G2 and the Bedrug on my 2011 RTL. I bought the truck brand new and put them on about a month after I bought the truck. Have used them for over 5 years now, no problems at all, good investment.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.
I'm probably over thinking it a bit...just my nature...but, I like to cover all my bases before I start a project. I'm sure everything will fall into place once I begin.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can anyone explain the difference between the G2, the fiber Max, and the F1? Other than cost that is.
Here are some descriptions about the two bakflip model from 4wheelonline hope it helps.

BAKFlip FiberMax Features

-Reinforced Fiberglass Panels - Standard Grade
-300 lb Weight Capacity (evenly distributed)

-Full Access to Truck Bed and Stake Hole Pockets

-Easy No Drill Installation

-Lock Tailgate to Secure

-2 Year Warranty

-Add a BakBox for Convenient Storage

-Slam Latch and Pull Cable

-No-Drill Clamps

-Weather resistant seals and hinges

-Water Drainage System

-Textured FRP Top Panel

BAKFlip F1 Features

-BAKFlip F1 is the most advanced tonneau cover on the market!

-The Textured surface is UV-protected and stays cool to the touch and resists cracks, warping, fading, rust and corrosion.

-The F1 is stronger and lighter than previous BAKFlip models thanks to its fiberglass-reinforced polymer top with aluminum underside.

-Your cover won't shrink or expand with the changing temperature and its 100% weatherproof, rain and snow are no match for the tongue and groove weather stripping.

-High-tech laminate design shoulders up to 400 lbs of evenly distributed weight.

-The super-dense EPS core is laminated with Fiberglass Reinforced Polymer on top, epoxy-coated aluminum underneath.

-Panels connect with a seamless rubber seal—designed to outlast your truck and never leak

-Locking knurled knobs have replaced simple nuts for easy tool-free on and off capabilities. All you need to install a cover is a single wrench and 5 minutes.

-Your F1 tonneau cover is built in the USA and is backed by a 3-year warranty with a lifetime warranty on all rubber hinges.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts