Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a ball joint boot replacement on their 2009 Ridgeline? Mine has about 62K miles on it and the front right boot has obviously failed. I believe the ball joint itself is probably fine, but I'll know for sure when I jack it up to replace the brake pads next week. I bought the new boot, but not the clip. I read that its possible to salvage the old clip.

Looking at some FCA replacement videos on YouTube it seems like I will be able to get away with just removing the cotter pin, nut, and pulling down the FCA to get at the boot. Hopefully I don't wreck the new boot when re-installing.

The boot replacement instructions in the maintenance manual seem pretty straight forward considering the dealership wants $228 for this repair. :surprise:

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hardest part is separating the FCA from the knuckle. Turn the wheel all the way to the right and smack the knuckle on the back side where the ball joint goes through with a solid large short handled sledge hammer, with some weight forcing the arm down or the knuckle up. Should take 3-4 good smacks and it will pop up.

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
Sure would be nice if a guy could replace just the boot on the vehicle, clean, regrease no matter inner or outer boot without taking everything apart. A couple years ago we did just that to a "09"Polaris Ranger in an hours time. Dont know why they would or should be that much different.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts