Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my review of the BasicKoncept Bed Cover that I ordered from http://basickoncepts.com.

The cover is constructed of Marine Plywood sandwiched top and bottom with fiberglass, over which vinly is applied. Some would call it homemade. I prefer to think of it as hand crafted.

The cover took about two hours to install, of which probably 30 minutes was spent removing from the box, and preparing the garage floor and gathering tools. It was a one person job, but two people would have made it easier.

This cover looks great. Several of my enginering buddies at work gave it the once over, and all have complimented it. The vinly is stretched very taught, and provides a nice rich texture. While it may not have the perfected, polished look, of a manufactured cover, it does have a one of a kind "Custom" look to it. I am very proud to wear it on my Ridgeline. It gives it a much smoother flowing look, in the back end. I like how the mounting rails follow the slope of rear of the truck.

I washed the truck last weekend, and had just a few drips of water in the bed when I finished. I would not say it is waterproof, but it is probably as water-tight as the other hard cover's that are out there on the market that cost a lot more.

Becuase of its hardness it offers security of your cargo, assuming that you also purchase and install the Tailgate Lock. I plan to install mine soon. (Review to follow).

It weighs about 60 pounds. By lifting the built in handles, it can be removed with one person. It takes all of two minutes. After removal it can be stowed in the passenger cargo area of the truck if need be. This featue makes it nice, when your caught with the cover on and you need to haul your latest aquisitions that you just picked up at the local auction, flea market, yard sale, home depot, etc.

I have the Honda Bed Extender Accessory and it is still usable with the cover installed.

One of the nicest features, is that it does not interfere with opening of the In-Bed Trunk. It retains it's full range of motion. All you have to do, is fold back the rear panel upon itself.

It does not seem to make any wind noise that I can tell. I am anxious to see how it does with a little snow and ice on it.

For $260.00 plus shipping, it is a very good value. I wouldn't want to try to build it myself, for that amount of money. Once I get the chance I'll post some photos.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Thanks for posting that review. Of course, photos are always appreciated.

I am still up in the air about whether or not I want to get a cover. And then which one?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Great post RLW. I thought about the value of this product when I decided to purchase.....so its good to know that Brian's desire to produce quality will be worth the wait.

L

·
0 Posts
So far, Brian's Concept is at the top of my list. I really need waterproof and so far it sounds like his is the best.
Thank you so much for the review and please post pictures as soon as you are able.:)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Great review! How long did it take to be delivered? How exactly is it held down to the rails?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here are some pics. As I'm sure you will all agree Steel Blue is the best!!:)

Ladyridge, I wish I could have showed it off in Cleveland...

The rails are pre-drilled in four places. Brian provides two throw away guides, formed out of sheet metal, that position the end of each rail where it needs to be at the tailgate area on both sides. The other end of each rail, goes right up to the top, front tie-down on each side. Self tapping screws are provided, that can be driven in with a cordless drill. Go slow so that you don't strip any. I applied a bead of silicone on the backside of each rail before attaching. The silicon, also makes it easier to work with, by holding the rail steady while drilling. This makes it doable by one person.

I now believe Brian is pre-drilling in 6 places and supplying more screws, to make sure that the rail doesn't go anywhere.

It took me approximately two weeks to get my cover.

Enjoy the pcis!

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Thanks for the pics! Looks like the handles are on the side so its easy to fold back and forth? Also, how exactly is it held in? I read something about locking pins?

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you look at the pic below you can see the pins. The pins lock it under the rails.

brian1972ct said:
Thanks for the pics! Looks like the handles are on the side so its easy to fold back and forth? Also, how exactly is it held in? I read something about locking pins?

Attachments

L

·
0 Posts
Brian....I love it. It's incredibly sturdy looking and the lines are perfect. I'll be contacting you soon as soon as I can convince the boss I should have one more accessory on Ridgena for the winter. :D

Ridgelinewannabe...I sure wish you could have been there to show off that bed cover. I bet Brian would have made you a salesman. Nice pictures. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
ridgelinewannabe,

Thanks for the great post..... great pics and great detail on installation and practical usage! I'm also "steel blue" and am looking hard at this cover.

By the way, I see you are in Louisville. I grew up outside of Lexington and went to grad school at UofL. I just watched part of a football game on TV where UofL was thrashing Rudgers (it was like 45 to 5 with 9 minutes to go in the 4th)! I went to undergrad at UK.... I'm glad that at least one of my teams can win a football game!

:) :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wanabe

U got your cover for 260$ plus shipping? Its now on his site for $290. Did you talk it down? How did you get that price? Or has it just been jacked up now?

- Brandon

·
Registered
44 Posts
It is my understanding that he recently improved the design slightly, and that is where the cost difference is.

·
Registered
579 Posts
dboz said:
Does the cover go up and over part of the rear window? It appears to be over the glass in the pics.
Also, I know this is answered somewhere in the 37 threads on tonneau covers, but is this cover watertight? Is there ANY tonneau cover that is?

Thanks.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Don't think that there is any cover that is 100% watertight.... I had the same question and was hesitating on purchasing one for a while untill I found out that Basickoncepts cover guarantees me that his is 99% watertight...
So I ordered one and now waiting on delivery...

·
Registered
50 Posts
minihummer said:
So I ordered one and now waiting on delivery...
When did you order it and what was the delivery date. I have been thinking about ordering one, I sent him an e-mail about delivery time but never received a reply!

L

·
0 Posts
Just an FYI. Brian ( swishman ) does good work and you can read about it here. BUT..he is a one man show like a few others on this board who are trying to get out a quality product. He's real busy so I have 2 suggestions.

1. Order from him if you like what he has.
2. Be patient as the rest of us have and you'll be very happy you did.

I do NOT have stock in his business, just an understanding of how hard it is to be your own boss, manager, worker and office cleaner upper. :D

I too have something on order and I know it will get here.

:)

·
Registered
218 Posts
I will backup what Ladyridge says. Brian puts out good stuff at a great price. If you have ever tried to get a new venture off the ground you know it's a 25 hour a day, eight days a week job. Give the guy some slack and you won't be disappointed. ;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts