Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a mechanic. Don't even change my own oil anymore. I have a 2020 Ridgeline and have been reading alot about its poor battery performance. For what these vehicles cost, that shouldn't be an issue and I don't want to go there.

My question is. I have a couple of Battery Tenders that I use on motorcycle batteries during the winter. Will these "regular" maintainers work on the agm battery in the RL?

Thanks

·
Registered
992 Posts
If it is a higher end one it should have a AGM selection. I have one by Ctex I belive the name is and it does have that selection. And I'm very happy with the product and their customer relations dept.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
290 Posts
I think you'd have to check the particular specs of the charger devices you have. Some will support both types and some don't.

·
Registered
2018 RTL-E
607 Posts
The battery tender I have says it supports AGM as well as normal lead acid types. I don’t have an AGM battery to try it on but it works great on all my other batteries.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it is a higher end one it should have a AGM selection. I have one by Ctex I belive the name is and it does have that selection. And I'm very happy with the product and their customer relations dept.

It is probably a lower end c battery tender and I have had it for years. It does not have any selectors on it. It works well on regular batteries. I just don't know if it works on agm batteries.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I'll see if I can locate a model number on it and check battery tenders sites for some specs. I've had it many years, but, there may be some info on it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have the 2020 since February and so far no battery issues.
I had my 2017 for 31/2 years, never changed out the battery and never had an issue. With that said, the 2020 has a different setup with that God awful shutoff nonsense so who knows.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
The two most popular Batter Tender chargers are compatible with AGM batteries.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
283 Posts
I have a $5 Harbor Freight tender that has kept my AGM motorcycle battery alive for the last 11 years.

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
I bought several of those early $5 deal HF chargers. I burned up both batteries with them. At the same time I bought several for our remote building equipment shed. We burned up several more batteries there with them. They all went to HF heaven. Never again.

YMMV
Steve

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
I bought several of those early $5 deal HF chargers. I burned up both batteries with them. At the same time I bought several for our remote building equipment shed. We burned up several more batteries there with them. They all went to HF heaven. Never again.

YMMV
Steve
My step-dad had been using HF "trickle chargers" for years and they'd usually die before the batteries he had them connected to. I bought him one of the cheap Battery Tender brand chargers and you'd have thought I hung the moon - no more dead chargers and the batteries last much longer. I won't buy anything from HF that I intend to use more than once. :)

·
Registered
992 Posts
The thing is if you want longevity you do not want a trickle charger. You want a float charger or maintenance type charger. I have hadvery good luck with Ctek brand maintainer chargers.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
Understood - that's why I put "trickle chargers" in quote - that's what my step-dad calls any low-current device intended to maintain a battery's charge.

·
Registered
133 Posts
The Ctek battery tenders work incredibly well. BMWs are notorious for eating through batteries because of all the electronics that stay alive when the car is not "sleeping." Three years on an OEM battery is a good run. My 2009 BMW 328i hardtop convertible went 10 years using the tender during winter storage and during times I didn't drive it and still had 64% of its capacity left when it finally got swapped out. Used correctly, they can dramatically extend the life of a battery on a non-daily driver.

·
Registered
2017 RTS White
283 Posts

YMMV
Steve
Oh wow. Guess I got lucky. I do have a Schumacher 1.5A for my other MC.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I just went to Schumacher's website www.batterychargers.com and they have their older 1A maintainer on clearance for $14.99. They do charge FedEx shipping, but with 'new customer' 15% discount, I was able to pick up two of them for about $21 each.

The 1A may not be enough to maintain the G2 (i really don't know), but it's better than a kick in the pants.

Actually, i have a ~25y.o. Schumacher Battery Companion 1.5A maintenance charger that has been keeping my ZTR mower happy. I'll probably use that on the G2 and put one of the 1A units on the ZTR and the other 1A unit on the '08 Accord.

If i have future battery issues, I'll bite the bullet and pick up a CTEK.

·
Administrator
15,693 Posts
I just went to Schumacher's website www.batterychargers.com and they have their older 1A maintainer on clearance for $14.99. They do charge FedEx shipping, but with 'new customer' 15% discount, I was able to pick up two of them for about $21 each.

The 1A may not be enough to maintain the G2 (i really don't know), but it's better than a kick in the pants.

Actually, i have a ~25y.o. Schumacher Battery Companion 1.5A maintenance charger that has been keeping my ZTR mower happy. I'll probably use that on the G2 and put one of the 1A units on the ZTR and the other 1A unit on the '08 Accord.

If i have future battery issues, I'll bite the bullet and pick up a CTEK.
It takes less than 0.1 amp to maintain an FLA batteyr and even less to maintain an AGM battery. 1 amp is more than sufficient to maintain any automotive battery.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I use an Optimate unit on my motorcycle. It's never let me down. My current motorcycle is 6 years old still on the stock OEM battery. Starts every time.

Here's the Amazon link:
Optimate TM421

·
Super Moderator
1,525 Posts
IMO you should test your battery with one of these.

And only charge and maintain your battery with one of these.

(or a similar product offering)
And the reason is that these two devices can determine how good your battery CCA / AH are and also can desulfinate your battery cells. This will maintain your battery to it's best long term potential. Much like you check the oil in your car, do you check and maintain your battery the same way ? In most people's cases the answer is no. But you wouldn't ever think of not checking your oil would you ?

Steve

·
Registered
992 Posts
The biggest problem with today's batteries are capless, so checking the the water level is not easy at all.

I have two Ctex maintenaners or float chargers. The newer one can desulfinate the battery. They suggest you do it at least once a year.

If you charge with a 'battery charger' that charges at a steady charge even if it's a low charge it will eventually over charge the battery.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I’m currently using a Battery Tender plus on mine. I used their adapter to be able to hook it up without having to remove anything else once it was wired in and so far have no issues with almost a 3 year old vehicle. If it sits for an extended period of time, I will plug it to preserve the battery. Having a garage to pull it into really helps and keeps other varmits away from the vehicle. If you do a search for battery tender in the second gen forums you come up with a plethora of threads related to various members who have either installed or asked these same questions. HTH!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts