Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 RTL-E and the battery went dead again. I just had the battery replaced 3 months ago at the dealer as the battery in it went dead and they said that that battery wouldn't take a charge, so they replaced it with a factory battery. Anyone having any problems with their trucks battery?? Anyone have any idea what it could be?? Thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I drive approximately 8 miles to work and it sits most of the time the whole week-end without running. Time to work is like 10 minutes.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Any aftermarket electronics installed? Causing a draw? And did you have the alternator checked?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
359 Posts
You might want to try a trickle battery charger on the weekends, just to keep the battery charged. Mine sites weeks at a time and I don't have any battery issues. Maybe parasitic draw?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,905 Posts
Unless 2 bad batteries back to back, I also vote that parasitic draw is the likely culprit. That can be hard to nail down too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have any after market items installed. Maybe I will get the alternator checked. Also, I am going to buy a trickle battery charger . Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2017 RTL-E. I bought it used a year ago and replaced the dead battery within a week or so of purchase. I have had no problem since then. I would personally bring it to another mechanic to have the electrical system checked.

·
Registered
616 Posts
If still under warranty return to dealer for diagnosis. If not probably not the Alternator, have you added or changed any electrical items in the truck. Dash cam’s etc ?

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
102 Posts
You didn't share how many miles it has? Another possibility is the Alternator Belt is loose (slipping) or worn out. Also check all Battery and Alternator connections including Grounds are clean and secure.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2017 RTL-E with 13,000 on it. I just had the battery replace about 3 months ago and I am hoping that they cleaned the cables and tighten all the connections. I charged the battery yesterday and this morning I had no problems. I have a question, I see that some vehicles are having problem with the rear harness cable. Could this cause the battery to fail on starting??

·
Registered
2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
102 Posts
"I see that some vehicles are having problem with the rear harness cable. Could this cause the battery to fail on starting??"

If one of the rear cable harness wires is connected to Battery Plus (Live) when the Key Switch is OFF and it has worn insulation allowing it to touch the body (Ground) then it may be possible.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Dri
I have a 2017 RTL-E and the battery went dead again. I just had the battery replaced 3 months ago at the dealer as the battery in it went dead and they said that that battery wouldn't take a charge, so they replaced it with a factory battery. Anyone having any problems with their trucks battery?? Anyone have any idea what it could be?? Thanks
Driving only 8 miles is not enough to keep the battery fully charged.
Once a week, put a battery maintainer on to fully charge the battery. This will be good for the battery and you!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like the same problem I had on my Acura MDX - not sure this will be same issue but might be a place to start as it was driving me nuts trying to figure it out. Turns out the bluetooth adaptor was draining the battery and it only ook 1-2 days to do it to a brand new battery. If you youtube "acura battery drain bluetooth" you'll see the repair/fix for it. Good luck!

·
Registered
13 Posts
FYI - since I did not want to spend the money on replacing I just disconnected it as the bluetooth in that old car was not worth it.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTL, 2019 Pilot EX-L
36 Posts
Our 2019 Pilot battery completely died while playing golf earlier this year, what a pain in the butt to jump. Luckily one of the groundskeepers has some tools as you can not get near the battery. I may have left the hatch open a little and lights killed the battery, not sure really but now I leave the lights in the off position at all times. I haven't owned a vehicle in the last 20 years that doesn't automatically shit down power after a 20-40 second drain. We drive everyday and have not had the same problem since.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, my 2020 Honda Ridgeline was a few months old and the battery went dead 55 miles from their dealership. Wessel Honda in Springfield, Missouri, replaced it. However, I traveled 110 miles to pick my truck back up. No compensation, no I'm sorry. Very disappointed!!!!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The new battery went dead again. I just went out and bought a battery tender. I hope it works. This battery goes dead after 4 days parked.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts