Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Ridgeline RTL 60K miles

JANUARY 4TH 2015

Replaced an almost 3 year old aftermarket battery because it was dead and had been struggling to start car every morning for about a week prior. Auto parts guy checked battery and alternator and because it was charging, warrantied the battery.

MARCH 6TH 2015

All week it has struggled to turn over and this morning; dead. It's hard to believe the battery would die so soon. I run heated seats, full blower, lights, wipers, radio and it doesn't seem to bog down electrical system while the truck is running. No lights left on, doors open etc. overnight.

It has been cold (0 deg) today and all month for that matter, but truck is kept in garage overnight.

I do have an aftermarket remote starter(came with vehicle), Audiovox APS620N and a PAC Audio Ipod interface(prof. installed) on my factory radio.

Any advice on where to start? I have never had any issues before. I am leaning towards disconnecting the remote starter. Is it as simple as a power wire at the battery?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Supposed to be warmer this weekend and I'll start the troubleshooting. I actually hope it's the alternator to avoid the hassle of the electrical gremlins that you just can't seem to find.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I'll start with the alternator check to rule that out first.

When checking the current draw between the battery and battery cable, how long do you think it takes for all the normal systems which draw current to shut down?

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, alternator is good. Putting out 14+ volts. Charged battery now at 12.6V.
Load tested battery at auto parts place and only concern is that is was 400CCA.
The battery is rated 700. This is acceptable to them as they won't replace the battery unless the tester says to.

I do only drive about 1.5 miles to work every day. (lucky me) Maybe the extreme cold and the short run times didn't allow adequate charging.

I checked for parasitic drain with a meter and strangely saw none. I may recheck with a small light on just to make sure my setup is correct.

Has my battery been compromised or damaged to where it will never be at it's rated specs? It's warming up this week and maybe I'll take the long way to work for awhile to give it more time to charge up.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE:

I'm not exactly sure what caused the battery to fail but certainly the conditions have changed.

Prior to the problem we had 29 consecutive days where it never was above freezing. Ten days which were below zero.

The truck was garaged but unheated.

I drove 1.5 miles each way to work during that time but never drove any further.

My trips usually included blower motor running, heated seat on, lights, wipers, radio.

So, perhaps the battery never got enough charge during those trips and gradually got weaker and weaker or perhaps I do have a small drain which in combination with the other factors killed the battery.

Currently, after a charging and nicer weather, there has been no problem starting. It sat most the day and overnight and started fine so if there is a drain it isn't enough to kill the battery in a short time period.

I plan on waiting to see if it fails again and then do a thorough electrical check.

Thanks for all the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.