Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In bought my 07 Honda Ridgeline a couple weeks ago. I had it for a few days, before something just drained the battery. I took it back to the same dealership and had it checked out. They said the alternator was fine and it was the battery. I had asked that the battery be replaced with a new one anyway. A whole day later, my new battery was dead. Something killed the battery while the truck sat in the parking lot at work for my twelve hour shift. I took it back to the same dealership. There response was the battery terminals were loose. I questioned how could the battery terminals be loose on the old battery and the replacement battery. Did they not tighten the terminals when they replaced the battery? All I got was a blank stare. They could not also explain how the alternator could charge the battery on my 30 minute drive to work because I could turn off the engine and start it back up, but yet the battery would still drain while it sat parked. How could loose terminals drain a battery? I asked them to keep the truck overnight to see if it killed the battery again. Miraculously, it started right up the next day. I brought the truck home and drove it for three days and then the check engine light came on and stays on. I'm taking it to a different Honda dealership on Monday to have the diagnostic run on it. I am highly suspicious that they have attempted to cover up an issue with this vehicle before they sold it to me. In my research on the web, I found that they way that you reset the check engine light is to disconnect the battery. I am trying not to jump to conclusions, but I am growing more and more suspicious. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on something like this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
FWIW, My Honda battery in my RL with a mfg. date of June 2013 went dead on me a little while ago. I did not find any significant draws on the system, but the Honda battery was only 550 CCA. I replaced it with an Interstate group 24F 1000 CCA and have had no problems since. The RL has a lot of electronics, so anything that you can do to help it function better such as a BIGGER battery is a GOOD thing IMHO.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Hopefully the new garage is more competent. Have them check the AC relay. It's a common problem and trained Honda mechanics should know about it. Even if this isn't the problem, they should have reported having run tests for parasitic draw.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33743

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87865

Good luck. Welcome to the ROC! Sorry that you didn't have a very good introduction to Ridgeline ownership, but I'd say that you have more of a mechanic problem than a serious truck problem.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Agree that competent mechanic should be able to chase this down. Having said that . . . do you know if there are any aftermarket or modified electronics on your vehicle? Anything from alarms, to radios, to trailer harness?? That might be a good place to start looking . . . these things can be mysterious. I hope you have good luck finding a more expert mechanic who knows electrics. I'd not want to have to try & find a problem like that.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Disconnecting the battery does not reset the check engine light. All it will do is move the code from active to inactive and as soon as what ever triggers light happens again, the light will come back on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts