Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the original owner of my 2006 RTL with Navi. I've been on these forums since 2006 and have found tons of valuable information in that time.

I feel like I've always had a bit of a battery drain, but in recent months, it has gotten much worse. It had gotten to the point where one or two nights of not driving the truck would result in a dead battery.

Friday night I got out to the truck with a multimeter and tested AMP draw on each of the circuits. I found that the radio had a .58 AMP draw when the vehicle was off. Disconnecting the radio by pulling that fuse, After pulling the fuse, the draw then was within acceptable limits. The NAVI was not the problem, but the radio portion below the NAVI.

The questions are:
Does anyone know what it is within these radios that causes the draw? I.E. is it something servicable? I'd rather not go through the hassle of putting in something aftermarket or buying a used one knowing that this has happened to others with Honda radios.
Is there someone that can reliably repair these OEM units?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,966 Posts
I am the original owner of my 2006 RTL with Navi. I've been on these forums since 2006 and have found tons of valuable information in that time.

I feel like I've always had a bit of a battery drain, but in recent months, it has gotten much worse. It had gotten to the point where one or two nights of not driving the truck would result in a dead battery.

Friday night I got out to the truck with a multimeter and tested AMP draw on each of the circuits. I found that the radio had a .58 AMP draw when the vehicle was off. Disconnecting the radio by pulling that fuse, After pulling the fuse, the draw then was within acceptable limits. The NAVI was not the problem, but the radio portion below the NAVI.

The questions are:
Does anyone know what it is within these radios that causes the draw? I.E. is it something servicable? I'd rather not go through the hassle of putting in something aftermarket or buying a used one knowing that this has happened to others with Honda radios.
I have to say this is the first post I can recall about excessive drain from the OEM radio. There are many other possible sources, but it certainly sounds like you've tracked down your power drain.

·
Registered
84 Posts

The questions are:
I had the same issue thinking it was my 4 year old battery. I ran a check on the 550CCA battery and found it still had 400CCA available. My parasitic drain was .94mA, twice what it should have been. I figured it was worth the $9 to replace the AC relay and the parasitic drain dropped to .31mA. Sure, there could be many other potential fixes, but I didn't feel like pulling every fuse one by one....being lazy :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the same issue thinking it was my 4 year old battery. I ran a check on the 550CCA battery and found it still had 400CCA available. My parasitic drain was .94mA, twice what it should have been. I figured it was worth the $9 to replace the AC relay and the parasitic drain dropped to .31mA. Sure, there could be many other potential fixes, but I didn't feel like pulling every fuse one by one....being lazy :)
Glad you found the source of your drain. I found mine too, but a relay replacement won't solve my issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts