Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving to work and all of a sudden noticed distinct change in engine noise and my aftermarket radio whine suddenly became more pronounced/louder. Then I noticed the red battery light on my dash was on.

Took vehicle to dealer and $96.00 later they said my alternator and starter tested bad. Stating the starter was showing intermittent engagement of the solenoid. I told them to fix the alternator and change the serpentine belt while its apart ($565.00 god I remember the days when I fixed my own vehicles....).
The service writer tells me that "now" the starter is working ok(what with a properly functioning electrical system things test ok? go figure....). At least the dealer was honest enough to say the test on the starter had changed, I'll remember that.
I had to charge the battery (Odyssey 34R-PC1500 I think that's the model) Says its a CCA-880 battery, let me drive to and from work 28 miles in traffic each way before getting truck back to dealer.
I bought and used a Schumacher SSC-1000A SpeedCharge 2/6/10 Amp Battery Charger and Maintainer to charge the battery from 11.5V up to full charge. Took it a long time maybe 8 hours at 10amp setting. Nice charger it does different battery types so it was good for the Odyssey.

Just thought I would share.

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
The alternators from the dealership are outrageously expensive. A reman'd Denso unit can be found only for around $125 after core charge refund. Interesting that the starter began functioning properly with a good alternator and fully charged battery.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The alternators from the dealership are outrageously expensive. A reman'd Denso unit can be found only for around $125 after core charge refund. Interesting that the starter began functioning properly with a good alternator and fully charged battery.
Same goes for starters. You can get the stock Mitsubishi unit for about the same price.

Just shows what low batteries can show when it comes to weird electrical problems. It's great that the dealer was honest.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was on my way to work today when so noticed that the battery light was on... but when I braked I could feel a slip and a jelly then all types of lights were coming on the hazard... 4 wdrive... I turned around and came back home... it barely made it back into the garage... cut the car off went to start it would not start. Just made clicking noises. few hours later I go to see if it will start ... it starts right up having AAA come out to test the battery .

·
Registered
316 Posts
I was on my way to work today when so noticed that the battery light was on... but when I braked I could feel a slip and a jelly then all types of lights were coming on the hazard... 4 wdrive... I turned around and came back home... it barely made it back into the garage... cut the car off went to start it would not start. Just made clicking noises. few hours later I go to see if it will start ... it starts right up having AAA come out to test the battery .
Time for a battery and alternator. Alternator failed, drained the battery. When you stepped on the brake, the energy used to light the brakelamps took the remaining battery power away from the fuel pump and everything else that needs electricity.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts