Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding that I'm rather hard on my Ridgeline's battery, and I'm looking to replace it with something higher end like an Optima yellow top. Anyone have any suggestions? All the websites I try say they have no battery recommendations for the 2017 Ridgeline.

·
Super Moderator
1,475 Posts
Just take it out of the truck and down to the place that has Optima batteries in stock. Compare them for size and terminals and get the biggest one you can fit. That'll work just fine.
Electrically it's just a 12V battery. It won't matter cause you'll end up with something with a larger CCA anyway.

Steve

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
It's a very common battery. Group size 48, 70AH, 620 CCA. RH POS terminals. 12.10/6.9/7.6 L/W/H for inch dimensions. Should be easy to find something a bit heftier using that info.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Are there any precautions on losing security codes for radio or drive cycle info when disconnecting the battery on the 2017 ridgeline?. The manual is a little vague on this. I know early 2000 models required a security code on radios for anti theft.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Depending on where you get a battery, they can plug in a small power source that allows you to keep your radio codes, stations etc.

As for the brand of battery, I just replaced my Optima Red Top just short of three-years old, of normal wear and tear. Replacement warranty bought me a new one. My advice is to get the battery with the best 100% replacement warranty, and stay away from Honda batteries.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I gleaned through several installation PDFs for trailer harness etc, and determined that the battery can be disconnected and reconnected with no problems. You have to hold the radio power button for a minute or two and the old nav and stations come back after re-powering.

I cleaned my battery posts and put on anti corrosion washers. I was going to check and add deminerlized water but the OEM battery was sealed tight. I have experienced adding water to many new batteries as they seem to ship them on the low side. After a long hot summer I wonder how long the OEM battery will last.

My only other suggestion is to watch the plastic fasteners as they can easily get awayl Spent $20 for parts and shipping for a new handful of plastic clips and screws.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Coming up on 4 years and 23k.,Time to replace the battery don't want to push it.. I'm looking and 99% of the time it says to use group size H6. Occasionally group size 48 comes up. I look at the dimensions and they are the same and they both have recessed terminals. Anyone know what's the difference? I've had good luck with Autocraft batteries from Advance but now they only have DieHards. Thoughts and recommendations?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Coming up on 4 years and 23k.,Time to replace the battery don't want to push it.. I'm looking and 99% of the time it says to use group size H6. Occasionally group size 48 comes up. I look at the dimensions and they are the same and they both have recessed terminals. Anyone know what's the difference? I've had good luck with Autocraft batteries from Advance but now they only have DieHards. Thoughts and recommendations?
Group 48 is the group sizing used in the USA by the Battery Council International. H6 is the european designation for this size of battery. If you go to a place that sells batteries and they have a BCI battery replacement book it will give you all the information needed, such as width, lenght, height, type of terminal and terminal replacement. You want to replace battery with same or better CCA as your original battery.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
On previous vehicles, I've had good luck with Diehard Gold (for the wife's car) and Walmart battery for me. Bad luck with Honda batteries, and they cost more than Diehard Gold.

The nice thing about Walmart, besides lower price, is it is easy to find one if you need to swap out a failed but pro-rated battery.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If I understand correctly, Honda's 5-year warranty battery was a huge value, not sure if it's still around but it was a full replacement if it went bad, and I think it was like 100 bucks.

·
Premium Member
4,013 Posts
If I understand correctly, Honda's 5-year warranty battery was a huge value, not sure if it's still around but it was a full replacement if it went bad, and I think it was like 100 bucks.
Yeah, but does that cover labor, or will the dealer let you trade out and install yourself? Most dealers don't want to give up the opportunity to charge you $70 or so for a simple install.

My nearest dealer is over an hour away, so not a good deal for me either way.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Last battery I bought for my wife's car was at walmart, I think Everstart brand. Better warranty and cheaper than any of the auto parts stores. I believe it was right at $100. Warranty was 5yr prorated IIRC. Somewhere we have the receipt put up just in case, but I don't believe I've ever used the warranty on an Everstart battery. Probably only bought maybe 3 of them though, so small sample size.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yeah, but does that cover labor, or will the dealer let you trade out and install yourself? Most dealers don't want to give up the opportunity to charge you $70 or so for a simple install.

My nearest dealer is over an hour away, so not a good deal for me either way.
I'm pretty sure you can just buy the battery and install yourself, but I certainly havent done it myself. I tossed an Exide 24F in my 2013 Accord back in the day but my '19 RL is of course in tip top shape still @ 10k miles so I'm a ways from battery issues.

Just relaying what I've read many many times on this forum and DriveAccord forums -- someone always swears by the more expensive Honda battery due to the warranty and full replacement with another 5yr batt.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can just buy the battery and install yourself, but I certainly havent done it myself. I tossed an Exide 24F in my 2013 Accord back in the day but my '19 RL is of course in tip top shape still @ 10k miles so I'm a ways from battery issues.

Just relaying what I've read many many times on this forum and DriveAccord forums -- someone always swears by the more expensive Honda battery due to the warranty and full replacement with another 5yr batt.
When my 2014 Accord was 2.5 years old, it wouldn't start. Jumped it and drove 10 miles to dealer. When I pull into the express dropoff area the service advisor hits the start button to check the mileage and then tried to start it and it wouldn't start. They then start giving me crap that if the battery holds a charge Honda won't replace it. WTF I find the dealer tries to squeak out of everything. They ended up keeping the car overnight and giving me a loaner. When I pick the car up the next day there's a booster pack in the back seat which I returned. I think the dealer makes money from the Honda on the loaners but all in all what a PITA. That's a big reason why I'm gonna try another brand as my local Honda dealer has an answer for everything but never satisfies. Not to mention all the stuff that needs to be removed to get to the battery on the RL, I see them losing screws and breaking fasteners. When my Accord needed a valve cover gasket when brand new they lost two of the rubber grommets that hold the engine cover on. I ordered some from Bernardi but I find it's easier to stay away from the dealer.

Believe it or not, Walmrart doesn't show any battery available for a 2017 Ridgeline. I tried a Pilot and same story. Napa shows only the group 48, most others show an H6 and sometimes both. Advance doesn't take rebate cards on online purchases (how inconnvenient) but I guess it will be the Duralast or the DieHard.

·
Super Moderator
1,475 Posts
Test your batteries internal resistance and determine it's real CCA / AH by using a battery tester. That's the only real way to go with this. Otherwise you are wasting your money.

Amazon sells a bunch of them for $40.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
Believe it or not, Walmrart doesn't show any battery available for a 2017 Ridgeline. I tried a Pilot and same story. Napa shows only the group 48, most others show an H6 and sometimes both.
I plugged in a 2017 Ridgeline into the battery finder and came up with this:

Year:2017
Model:Ridgeline
Engine:3.5 - V6 (Gas)

Your Battery Match is:† Price may vary
MAXX-H6
Everstart MAXXMAXX-H6

• 3 Year Free Replacement Warranty
  • Cold cranking amps: 730
$119.76†Buy Now More Info
AGM H6
Everstart PlatinumAGM H6

• 4 year free replacement warranty
  • Cold cranking amps: 760
$154.77†More Info

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
That's a bummer about the Walmart not carrying the right size: I find that most things like oil and batteries are so much cheaper and the quality is the same. To me the core issue is Honda Alternators and Honda Batteries are of questionable quality and thats comming from someone who loves Hondas. For my ridgeline I used a very old alternator shop in Houston called Finch Alternator & Starter Rebuilders and my battery and alternator has lasted a very long time. They rebuilt the orginal alternator and I noticed immediately that my phone would charge much faster after they reinstalled at 90K. I have since put 110,000 miles in roughly 4 plus years. Their shop is not the cleanest place so I took her van someplace else. That was a mistake: In four years she has been through two Honda Alternators in and 3 Honda Batteries. I will never again take a car to dealer for a battery or alternator issue.

·
Premium Member
1,772 Posts
That's a bummer about the Walmart not carrying the right size:
Except for these:

Year:2017
Model:Ridgeline
Engine:3.5 - V6 (Gas)

Your Battery Match is:† Price may vary
MAXX-H6
Everstart MAXXMAXX-H6

• 3 Year Free Replacement Warranty