Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So not driving the RL much lately I went out today and it struggled to start so thinking of picking up a battery tender while it's park a week or 2.
So if you have any exp with this please share.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Don't have one on the RL, but both my Porsche and my motorcycle are sitting the garage right now, each with their very own battery tender hooked up. For a vehicle that sits a lot, it's a cheap insurance policy. Just be sure to get a reputable brand, and also make sure it's a "smart" battery tender, so it will only charge as much as the battery needs.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have 6 C-TEC chargers full time on all the toys.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool thanks, I'm gonna order one seems like the brand battery tender gets a lot of reviews

·
Registered
975 Posts
I own several . I have Battery Tender, Battery Minder, and C-Tec in my collection and all work well. The C-tec's are usually more expensive and are sold in 3 different models with different features and capacities. I have one of each.

Any of these should work well for you.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So not driving the RL much lately I went out today and it struggled to start so thinking of picking up a battery tender while it's park a week or 2.
So if you have any exp with this please share.
No way you should need a tender in SoCal if you're only talking about a few short weeks. I'd be checking my battery life if I were you. You really don't want a weak battery in your Ridge.... so if it's been in there a few years & it's starting to get weak... time to swap in a new one.
As for the tender.... save it for something that's gonna be sitting for months at a time.... or maybe very cold climates (I really can't speak to that). My S2000 sat for 3 months this last summer & started up no problemo when I finally got back to it. Same should hold for your RL. Good Luck which ever way you go.
:)

·
Administrator
16,079 Posts
A week or two? I'd say that you need a new battery more than a tender.
Agreed. Assuming the electrical system is working properly, any vehicle should be able to sit for several weeks at a time without draining the battery.

As far as "battery tenders" (incorrect use of a registered trademark like "kleenex") go, I recommend the Deltran Battery Tender Plus. It adds ambient temperature compensation so the battery receives the correct charge whether it is Winter or Summer.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've used battery tenders for over 15 years on several different vehicles. There's one on the RL now...seeing as we'll be gone for 4 months. Two other vehicles in the garage on tenders too for their 6 month nap. I think it good to do if more than a couple weeks. The red security light in my truck is always on I think? If your truck does sit for a few weeks, it needs a good run to charge it back up all the way. Starting is a big draw,especially in the winter.

That being said, I don't think the technology in battery tenders is very complicated in today's world. Nothing against the higher dollar brand name units mentioned here, but you can spend less and get something that works just fine. I've only had one fail after about 8 years and that was $30-40 dollar model. I bought a cheapo from Harbor Freight when buying some tools a couple years ago and it's been working just fine on our Roush the last 2 winters.

If you have a small battery charger now, another option would be to put a small appliance timer on the charger. Set the charger to the lowest setting and have it runs a few hours a day. Even pumping 10 amps in there for an hour a day won't hurt as they all taper down to 2-3 amps

Before tenders were around, I put a 1 amp trickle charger on our stored car and let it run all winter. Never had a problem

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The batt tender should be delivered tomorrow, I'll still take the battery to be checked just to make sure.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
The batt tender should be delivered tomorrow, I'll still take the battery to be checked just to make sure.
The test will probably indicate current (by measuring internal resistance), but will likely not measure the battery's capacity. Capacity is what is in question from its discharge after 1-2 weeks.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_measure_capacity

The tender will likely ensure that the battery is good enough for a season or so. I'm not sure whether the Deltran is a pulse conditioning charger, but I have the Noco Genius to recover marginal batteries:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/noco-genius-g3500-smart-battery-charger-0111927p.html

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
I was recently out of town for about 10 days. Upon my return my 2014 Ridgeline struggled to start at about 28 degree F. The parasitic draw on the Ridgeline is high. A battery tender is appropriate (a good one) if the vehicle is going to sit for over a week or so. Two weeks and it will be dead even with a new OEM battery.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,346 Posts
2 weeks sitting to discharge a battery in the Ridgeline?? Something is wrong with the battery or the vehicle . . .Is it the bluetooth gremlin??

OP,
Not sure what Battery Tender you bought but the smaller ones will not charge up an automotive battery if its starting point is highly discharged. As a maintainer for a battery that is well charged but is going to sit for a long period of time even the small ones will work.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I was recently out of town for about 10 days. Upon my return my 2014 Ridgeline struggled to start at about 28 degree F. The parasitic draw on the Ridgeline is high. A battery tender is appropriate (a good one) if the vehicle is going to sit for over a week or so. Two weeks and it will be dead even with a new OEM battery.
... then how do they tolerate sitting at a dealership for months?

I am pretty sure that my Ridgeline has gone unused for more than two weeks in my "low" seasons, spring and fall. There has never been an issue like this, even when the first battery was getting old and low in reserve capacity. I couldn't leave the headlights on for an hour (key in ignition, engine off), but I could leave it unused for a week or two in the cold.

Note: I don't have Bluetooth in my Ridgeline, so that possible glitch isn't present.

·
Administrator
16,079 Posts
A VERY quick estimate of battery capacity...

Based on conservative battery rating of 40 AH and the Ridgeline's maximum parasitic current draw of 52 mA, the battery should last at least 32 days. In reality, the current draw probably won't be as high and the battery may have more than 40 AH of capacity.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
2 weeks sitting to discharge a battery in the Ridgeline?? Something is wrong with the battery or the vehicle . . .Is it the bluetooth gremlin??...........
... then how do they tolerate sitting at a dealership for months?
I am pretty sure that my Ridgeline has gone unused for more than two weeks in my "low" seasons, spring and fall. There has never been an issue like this, even when the first battery was getting old and low in reserve capacity. I couldn't leave the headlights on for an hour (key in ignition, engine off), but I could leave it unused for a week or two in the cold.
Note: I don't have Bluetooth in my Ridgeline, so that possible glitch isn't present.
A VERY quick estimate of battery capacity...
Based on conservative battery rating of 40 AH and the Ridgeline's maximum parasitic current draw of 52 mA, the battery should last at least 32 days. In reality, the current draw probably won't be as high and the battery may have more than 40 AH of capacity.
You're not often wrong Joe, but I think you're giving "designed in" parasitic draw too much credit in this case. I have to agree with the other fellas' comments above. I'd say you've got a problem of some sort.
My frame of reference is a trip taken in 2013.... was gone for 10 weeks. Came home & both cars fired right up, no problem. I have a 2006 RTL with NO aftermarket electronics installed. Does have Navi, rear camera, XM.... and the car was locked (anti-theft active) while we were away.
Maybe you just got a poor battery when new...... the newer RLs didn't change THAT much electrically, did they?????????? Two weeks is not good no matter how you slice it (unless your in Yellowknife or ???). Might you have some add-on device(s) that are causing you electrical leakage-grief??? You might want to get her checked out, just to be sure, while she's still under warranty.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts