Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a BE and it's like a trophy wife it looks great but needs a lot of upkeep. My problem is I just got a job at a construction site. The parking lot is not paved but stoned. Is there any coating or wax that would help me keep it clean? I can only wash it on the weekend but here in the NE it's starting to get cold. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Lots of threads on paint protection/sealants/wax... sorry I forgot where, but if memory serves me correctly some owners have used: (in order of cost not preference, imho)

1. Paint Protection Film, such as Scotchgard Pro or Expel ultimate; cost $20 for door cups to $2500ish for a full wrap.

2. Ceramic Coating then wax; cost $50 for DIY to $200ish installed.

3. Sealant & Wax; cost $15 to $25 DIY... depends on what quality products you use will determine final cost and frequency of reapplication.

As for what I did on my BE, I have the entire front clip + A-pillars + roof (windshield yo moon roof)
covered in Scotchgard Pro - the rest I used Jet Seal and Butter Wax from Chem Guys.
The PPF helps keep my sanity when the GF puts her purse on the hood. lol :wink:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
I use Wolfgang paint sealant. It's the best I've found for protection & lasts a long time (important for me because my truck isn't garaged). Mother's Heavy Duty Back to Black Trim Cleaner followed by Wolfgang Exterior Trim Sealant is fantastic for keeping the Trim looking new. In the end though I'm afraid no product will repel the dirt - the price we pay for a black truck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Paint it Lunar Silver Metallic... I had a black 2014 SE. It was beautiful. But, I didn't fully appreciate the effort it would require to keep it looking pretty! I feel your pain! Only advice I have is to be careful not to scratch the paint by trying to touch-up a spot without the proper preparation. A little sand will go a long way in a microfiber towel. Good luck.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Never really understood the thought behind purchasing a black vehicle for work, when they are the most work to keep clean and looking nice. I would never have purchased my Modern Steel thinking of ever driving it on dirt roads or dusty parking areas, at least not unless it was a one time have to. A black vehicle, in fact any color parked on dirt will become full of sand scratches and upkeep will become a nightmare, I think it's time to buy another work truck and leave the black on home. Maybe a little harsh here, but look at workers vehicles that do construction work, there's total dust inside and out, it get into everything and after awhile it becomes impossible to clean.

trainman

·
Registered
410 Posts
my solution was to purchase the unlimited car wash :D
I think that's the only solution to owning a black vehicle. It will be my last black car. I've pretty much given up on trying to keep my BE clean. What a PITA

Reactions: Clews

·
Registered
371 Posts
my solution was to purchase the unlimited car wash :D
I get those with my purchase from my dealer for free, do read the small print, it says, "Only One Per Week", I'm glad I didn't buy Black.

trainman

·
Registered
251 Posts
I couldn't even use an ultra fine compound on my previous black truck. Anything but a microfiber cloth left scuff marks. I used one of those red mop dusters from Autozone between washes sometimes. But every day would be a problem. No more Black for me. My new Scarlet Red G2 is going to be bad enough i'm afraid.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I get those with my purchase from my dealer for free, do read the small print, it says, "Only One Per Week", I'm glad I didn't buy Black.

trainman
got mine at the Holiday gas station we have here in MN here for $30 a month. I can wash it as much as I like and there's plenty of Holiday gas stations here that I can choose from with all sorts of washers. I choose to use the touchless ones to prevent swirl marks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
This is my first black vehicle and so far I dont regret it. I have a white M3 and my wife drives a blue pilot. We replaced a red crv with the BE. Also had a silver accord before that lol! I find the BE no harder to keep clean in comparison to the blue pilot. Won't get a silver vehicle again because it's too generic and just blah all the time but that's just my personal preference. I use hydro2 touchless sealant and use a McKee blower to dry the vehicle so most of the time I don't touch the paint with anything and don't have any swirl marks.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,412 Posts
Try this stuff. You don't even have to wash your car before using it. Two years on my black Durango and I never washed it and it always looked beautiful. http://www.ultraluster.com

1 - 14 of 14 Posts