Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need your opinions here.

My dealer just sold a BE and the lucky new owner wants RTL-E/Touring wheels (picture below) instead of his shiny new black ones. Dealer asked me if I'm willing to switch to the BE wheels. I have an obsidian blue pearl.

What do you guys think? Never had black wheels before so I do not know much. Are they easier/harder to maintain/clean, etc.? Maybe someone with photoshop skills can give us a better visual.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Black wheels hide brake dust better and easier to keep clean because you can't tell if they are dirty. I'd go for it. Will separate your truck from most and the best part is it won't cost you a dime. Have the dealer put them on a lift and just swap one wheel so you can see how it looks. I bet it looks good.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've got a BE and have never had black wheels before. To me, the BE wheels show dust and dirt way easier to chrome or at least are way more obvious. Going from Shiny Black to a dusty matte black happens all too easy. I live in Alaska and we have a lot of dust and glacial silt but I'm in Anchorage and my BE is payment 24/7.

Honestly, I really like the black when they are polished but I sure would like to see chrome wheels. I really thought about doing what the OP was talking about.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I wouldn't. Dark blue/black are closer than Modern Steel/black and would simply look mismatched IMO. I tend to like contrasting/complimenting colors or matching vs. "mismatched" color schemes. I think charcoal gray wheels would be a better look with dark exterior colors. Could impact resale value too. I like the BE look OK but not everyone likes black wheels or the blackout look. I also think the blackout look is trendy but may or may not be in a few years.......

edit: some of us remember when white 5 spoke wheels were the rage for trucks/4WD vehicles a "few" years back. I had a few sets of those..... :wink:

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
I'd go with the black wheels in a heartbeat. They may show dust and dirt a bit more than the silver, but they don't show the biggest offense (in my opinion), brake dust. A dirty silver wheel just looks plain dirty. A black wheel next to that dark blue would look killer. Here's the good part: if you end up not really liking them in a few months, I have no doubt there would be at least one forum member who would swap wheels with you. As long as the tires are in equal condition, go for it!!!

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Here is a pic of a BE with polished chrome wheels. He says they are 19" 255/55R19's. He also has a sport grille,running boards, trim, rails, and a modified tailgate emblem. (exuse the scratch on the camera lens) :nerd:
Wouldn't want to see 10 of these, but love this owner's customization as a one-off.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
That wheel design looks awesome on that truck. The 19's give it a very good balance of wheel size and sidewall height. The chrome doesn't look too bad, but I still think something less shiny would be better. Just personal opinion.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Pictures are, of course, necessary on Friday, then. :)

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Here as promised is your Touring/RTL-E model with the BE wheels. Apparently the BE owner wants to chrome up his BE and buying all these chrome accessories, so I thought why not just get a black touring. He couldn't wait that long, so he got the BE instead. That feeling is all too common when we get bit by the RL bug! Fun fact: the chrome on the grill is more expensive than the black chrome. Sorry BE owners >:)

IMO things would look better without the rest of the chrome around the windows, grill, and back, but my wife doesn't want me to plastidip anything. She let me get the Touring instead of EX-L, so I let her have her say.:grin:

Attachments

·
Registered
388 Posts
That's pretty funny. Paid the premium which is mostly to get black wheels and then trade them for what he could have had cheaper.
Good find on you though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts