Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Following are some pictures of a bed bike rack that I built for my Gen 1 Ridgeline. The device sits on the bed floor, between the front, lower tie downs. Nothing holds it in place because when my bikes are attached the closed tail gate prevents the rear wheels of the bikes to move backwards. Obviously, this requires the removal of the front bike wheel. The front fork hold downs are made by Yakima, part #8001117, and cost me $23.00 each in 2012.

I have used this system traveling over 300 miles at a time without ever encountering any problems or issues.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
After reading a couple of other bike rack threads on this forum I purchased the Swagman in-bed rack (Swagman Pick-Up Truck-Bed-Mounted 2 Bike Carrier - Locking - Fork Mount Swagman Truck Bed Bike Racks S64702). For my needs it works great. Easy to snap into place and remove. Pictures are available in other threads. I have a 56cm Cannondale Synapse and it easily fits in the Ridgeline bed with a little room to spare when mounted to the rack.
I'm thinking of the same...I have a Specialized Roubaix and Gary Fisher 29er that I'd like to take to ride events or the 29er to a trail...I used to have Rocky Mounts on the utilitrack in my Frontier, but might get something like you linked.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Very nice and innovative. Nothing to have to mount to the truck. I just purchased a 2014 Ridgeline and am looking for a way to transport two road bikes. Can you tell me if you can get your tailgate closed once your bikes are loaded? Thanks much

·
Registered
4 Posts
I took some inspirations from other posts on here and just finished building my own. Holds 2, I think I can get a 3rd in the opposite direction if I got another mount, but it isn't necessary for me atm. Still allows access to the trunk. I have a Peragon cover than I need to remove in order to install this, which is kind of a bummer.

I mount it using the existing T50 bolts for the tie downs (tie down left there so I can't lose it). Paint was supposed to be darker, oh well I kind of like the vibrant.

Attachments

·
Registered
285 Posts
I also have the Peragon cover. I opted to mount the bike fork mounts along the leading frame rail. With the cover retracted we can transport 3 bikes. No need to remove the cover. The downside is that the back bike wheels are on top of the trunk lid. But, we transport bikes to our destination, typically an RV camping location and remove the bikes.

Paul.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
I have tried a lot of ways but my favorite is with a tail gate pad,,you can load and unload the bikes from outside the truck with out taking any parts off the bikes,then I would slide the pad off and store it in the trunk,lock my peragon cover and go riding ..I know many people are against it because you think that the paint will get damaged ...but I could tell you that after two years of transporting 4 to 5 bikes in mine I saw nothing on my tail gate from my Race face pad.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
i like this idea . i wonder how it'll work with longer wheelbases ie mountain / dh bikes
My Santa Cruz Solo (27.5) fits with room to spare, my SC Tallboy required me to move the mounting plate, but my buddy's Pivot 429 Trail still requires me to slant the bike in order to get the tailgate closed. I'd expect the slacker the head angle, the less likely it will fit. Downhill bikes especially.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts