Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, this being a new (to me) Ridgeline, with an ew bed liner, I’m wondering what you all use to clean/treat yours, to keep it looking clean, dark black and ‘healthy’? That’s a big area for Armor All. I’m hoping there’s something better. What do you all use/recommend? Anything that works particularly well on these bedliners?
Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Just spray it out with water and call it a day. Use carwash soap if it's really dirty. No protectant like armor all is recommended and likely will make the bed slippery/dangerous.

It's a fiber reinforced composite bed with built in UV protection. There is no liner. The black color is all the way through as to not show scratches easily like in the last gen Ridgeline.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used some lacquer thinner to remove a few marks. This bed is way, way better than my 06 was. That one looked awful within the first month

·
Registered
375 Posts
An all-purpose cleaner like Simple Green can work for the real stubborn stuff, but you should dilute it a bit and rinse immediately after cleaning. After I got some wax on the black plastic, I actually sprayed Simple Green on a soaking wet microsoft fiber towel, and it restored the trim to showroom black after being throroughly rinsed off. Followed that up with 303 protectant, and it's kept my black plastic looking quite good. 303 is also not slippery, so it works well on the rear bumper.

One nit to pick, the RL doesn't really have a "bed liner" in that the composite material is the bed surface. It's one of the best features of the truck. While rebuilding a deck, I lugged all sort of supplies and lumber. A contractor was worried I'd scratch my new truck. I said, it is a truck, so it has to get used some time to justify the payments. We were both surprised at how well it cleaned off with just a broom.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Butter Up!

An all-purpose cleaner like Simple Green can work for the real stubborn stuff, but you should dilute it a bit and rinse immediately after cleaning. After I got some wax on the black plastic, I actually sprayed Simple Green on a soaking wet microsoft fiber towel, and it restored the trim to showroom black after being throroughly rinsed off. Followed that up with 303 protectant, and it's kept my black plastic looking quite good. 303 is also not slippery, so it works well on the rear bumper.

One nit to pick, the RL doesn't really have a "bed liner" in that the composite material is the bed surface. It's one of the best features of the truck. While rebuilding a deck, I lugged all sort of supplies and lumber.
Peanut butter will help with the wax-on-plastic.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Re: Butter Up!

Peanut butter will help with the wax-on-plastic.
So will a pencil eraser. No, really. I tried it for a few small spots. The eraser took off the wax, and I used a gentle-bristled brush to remove the eraser rubbings. I just had too much wax to bother with this the whole way.

I use the Turtle Wax Ice now, and it's safe for all surfaces. I still haven't assessed its longevity, though. The liquid form is a bit messy to put on and is not very visible, but you can apply it in sunlight, so there's that.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Go to a self serve car wash where you have a pressure washer and it should make that go away and look like new.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I found a bit of slime adhering to the floor next to the cab. I have a tonneau cover, so that area stay dark, and water won't dry out easily. It cleans up easily enough. I used a nozzle on my garden hose with a bristle brush. Not a big problem, but something to look for if you cover your bed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Cleaning the bed is definitely easier with a pressure washer.

I just want to know how to get rid of the fiberglass resin smell in the trunk.

·
Premium Member
4,134 Posts
I just ordered an ozone generator off Woot yesterday, but i don't have a Ridgeline trunk to try it on yet. I kinda doubt it would help much....would probably have to leave it in there so long that it would deteriorate the seals.

Meanwhile, take the spare tire out and leave it out for a couple months. Replace it with some activated charcoal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
After the cleaning of your choice I use Bondo back to black. Makes it look like new!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m curious about a treatment or a spray to make cleaning the bed if my 2nd gen truck easier. I live in Hawaiʻi and have dogs so think red clay stainy dirt on black “plastic” or composite or whatever it is. But I like to camp out in the bed at the beach every so often.
To clean it, I use dish soap and a hand brush to scrub it out 2-3 times to improve the appearance (no, not showroom quality at all 😳) and I would love something that the dirt doesn’t stick to as easily. Any ideas would be appreciated! ☺ peanut butter might drive my dogs crazy 🤔😂

1 - 20 of 20 Posts