Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

81 - 100 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Anybody have tried the RetraxPRO up north. Wonder the freezing weather how it reacts to the cold? Looks really nice and that's what I would like on my next Ridgeline.

Sorry for the link, it's only there so that others know what model I'm talking about. Hope I don't bust any rules.
I watched a video on it on YouTube, by memory the guy had some trouble with it freezing, it does take up some considerable room when rolled up, you need to drill holes in the bed for water drainage, and it has some sealing issues at the tailgate.

I agree it does look nice though, I definitely considered it before further research. I'll see if I can find and share the video.

EDIT: I suspect my brain has combined multiple brand variations of retractable cover reviews. The one I was thinking of is for a pace edwards jackrabbit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you know which BakFlip model you have, and where did you buy it? I think $700 is a pretty low price.

The first RL I ever drove - a used one I was thinking of buying 8-9 years ago - had a BakFlip and it seemed like a quality item. (Drove it late morning, thought about it, called early afternoon....and it was already sold, lol.)

I now have a G2 Ridgeline. Is yours a G1 or G2?

Thanks.
I have a 2017 RTL-E and the cover is a BakFkip MX4. I bought it on-line from Truck Hero. They were offering free shipping, a rebate and a military discount of $75 or $100. It was easy-peasy, but the rebate took months. Install and fitting took a little time. Just returned from a trip and forgot I had put a paper bag and cardboard box in the bed. Dry as a bone! A little

·
Registered
262 Posts
I got the lomax today and got it installed in about an hour, probably could be done in half that. Search the community for lomax, and you will see a thread called lomax install tips, very helpful.

Love how it looks, very good quality.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just bought a 2018 RTL-E. Can anyone recommend a bed cover? I’m interested in the panel kind - hard and fold open one panel at a time. Does Honda offer one or do I go through an 3 party?

·
Registered
44 Posts
i still say OEM is the way to go. Can be removed by one person and no bed width robbing rails.

Well my dealer didn’t return my calls after saying they’d sell the Honda cover at their cost - so I called some other dealers. I asked if any could come close to Bernaldi’s $680 price (which doesn’t include over an additional $200 of shipping). One offered $750 which I thought was great since msrp is right at $1k. So I took the offer & installed this afternoon. Only took about 30 minutes - very easy install. Hope I like using but my initial feeling is I like it a lot.

interestingly my dealer called about an hour after I finished with their “dealer cost” number of $800. Tax to be added. Disappointed since the dealer I bought the top from said they still made money at their $750 offer.
View attachment 397750 View attachment 397751 View attachment 397752
Some pics ......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just bought a 2018 RTL-E. Can anyone recommend a bed cover? I’m interested in the panel kind - hard and fold open one panel at a time. Does Honda offer one or do I go through an 3 party?
I would go with the Honda Bed Cover and get a tailgate lock! Honda makes a tailgate lock that requires a key to lock and unlock. There are some out there that can be installed to auto lock and unlock with your other doors as well.

I would not get a Peragon Cover however. I had one. Reason I hated it was because you had to remove everything from inside the bed to fold the Peragon Cover. The slots fold down into the bed then up against the Cab. Also when folded you would hear rattling in the bed when driving from the Peragon cover moving a bit when driving. Not waterproof by any means but pretty good. You loose only a tiny bit of bed access when folded. Not easily taken off truck

I have the Honda Bed Cover now! It is a bit heavy. When folded it does still cover a bit of the bed. Have to loosen 2 screws (hands can loosen these screws) to Pull the cover out completely to have 100% bed access. Quality is great!!

Different Bed Covers have their Pros and Cons. Really personal preference.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I did notice today in rain that my OEM cover leaked a little on both sides. Not a big deal to me, and I think I could easily fix if I wanted to w some additional sealing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only time my oem cover let's water in my bed(and it's not a large amount) is when I'm washing my truck and I spray water in the 'seal' area, where the cover sits. I do this just to remove any soap from the seal area as I wash.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
Mine let in a trickle of water at the first “fold” from the back on each side. I might could stop by clamping tighter - although I didn’t want to deform the seal by over tightening. The little bit that came in really doesn’t matter to me. I mainly want the cover to keep the bed cleaner, occasional use for carrying without worry of things blowing out and I think it gives the truck a cleaner look. If I wanted to be sure things stayed dry I’d just put some adhesive weather stripping on the tops of the rails.

·
Registered
40 Posts
.......... ps: I’ve read both that the OEM cover is and is not the Extang solid cover. It sure looks like the same cover to me. I noticed on their website they’ve added another solid folding cover for roughly the same price called Xceed. Reviews look good and it looks like a great choice also. Might be a notch better than the OEM version.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got the lomax today and got it installed in about an hour, probably could be done in half that. Search the community for lomax, and you will see a thread called lomax install tips, very helpful.

Love how it looks, very good quality.
I also got mine and installed it. Pretty easy. It might have been a tad bit cold for the adhesive to stick well enough, but overall pretty nice cover. I love how you can take it out without even removing one bolt.

So far so good. Thanks for all the recommendations and reviews.

Please forgive the dirtiness. Crappy weather here.

Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
.......... ps: I’ve read both that the OEM cover is and is not the Extang solid cover. It sure looks like the same cover to me. I noticed on their website they’ve added another solid folding cover for roughly the same price called Xceed. Reviews look good and it looks like a great choice also. Might be a notch better than the OEM version.
I just got an Xceed Saturday and will mount it later this week. It looked very good in the dealer showroom.

81 - 100 of 125 Posts