Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

101 - 120 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Anyone have issues with LoMax paint? I just received my cover and both of the rail are nicked up just from being in the shipping box. The packaging it was shipped in is fine and the rest of it looks ok. The seller is going to replaced, but now I'm a little concerned about the quality of the paint.
20191203_172645 (2).jpg 20191203_172640.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
I did read your excellent reviews, but to be totally honest, after watching 30 videos and reading a bunch of reviews, I forgot that your review was on the Lomax. I certainly would have added it to my short list of reasons for my decision. I went through them again. Really well done.

My cover is set to ship on 12/2. Looking forward to it.

FYI... in my past, I have been on many a forum. Mostly motorcycles, some cars. This forum seems to be up there in content and personalities of its members. I'm pleased to have found it.

Phineas...50+ cars and trucks huh? Now I have to go count, but I don't think I'll quite catch up with you. I might have 40. If I were to add motorcycles, I could probably beat you. :)
Motorcycles count!

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
Anyone have issues with LoMax paint? I just received my cover and both of the rail are nicked up just from being in the shipping box. The packaging it was shipped in is fine and the rest of it looks ok. The seller is going to replaced, but now I'm a little concerned about the quality of the paint.
Sorry, I didn't have that problem. In fact, the quality of the finish is first-rate in my experience.

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,842 Posts
.......... ps: I’ve read both that the OEM cover is and is not the Extang solid cover. It sure looks like the same cover to me. I noticed on their website they’ve added another solid folding cover for roughly the same price called Xceed. Reviews look good and it looks like a great choice also. Might be a notch better than the OEM version.
It is not 100% the same cover. It was designed slightly differently by a different team (one that probably includes the input of Honda engineers). But the parts that are the same are directly Extang parts. And I would put the sameness at 85 to 90%.

·
Registered
40 Posts
For anyone interested, here is why I ordered the Lomax:

I was very interested in the Peragon, and multiple retractable versions, but didn't like the rails on the side or not being able to remove the entire thing. I also didn't like the strap that was always going to be in the way on multiple models.

Hope it lives up to my research.

Tom
I was looking at them and they have three option for the top, black matte, diamondback and black urethane . I guess I get the diamondback but what is the difference in the urethane and matte?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was looking at them and they have three option for the top, black matte, diamondback and black urethane . I guess I get the diamondback but what is the difference in the urethane and matte?
Matte is textured flat black, quite close to the tops of the truck bed rails. Urethane black is brand new, the website makes it look more aggressively textured and more glossy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im very eager to see how you are getting a rail system installed over your bakFlip!
2017 Ridgeline over-the-bed rack system for bikes

I’m not sure why I needed to do this project now but I have felt compelled to get it done. We have essentially entered winter here in NH. Just before the weather changed toward winter I purchased a recumbent bike. This takes up considerably more room to transport and the tube system and length don’t lend themselves to standard bike carriers. I also wanted a system to carry the bike a a way that I could still use the truck bed for carrying luggage (I have a backflip bed cover) and to carry bikes when towing my camper. Here is what I came up with.

If you take off the plastic covers that travel the length of the truck bed you uncover 4 lag bolt holes on each side. These take 6M-1.00 x 45mm bolts ($20). You can use these to anchor Thule TB60 ($100) (Amazon). This fits perfectly along the side of the truck bed. I had to drill the TB60 to align with the anchor bolt holes. I had to drill the plastic covers as well to accommodate the anchor bolts.I reassembled the plastic bed-side caps and anchored the TB60 on each side overlapping it with my Bakflip rails sealing with a generous amount of black DAP Dynafelx Ultra under the tracks. Now I had a Thule rail system.

Next I used Thule Podium Fit Kit 3101 ($119.95) (Amazon) topped by Thule Podium Foot Pack ($199) (Moosejaw). These held the Thule Square Crossbars ($60 after using Moose Bucks) (Moosejaw). Here you can use the square bars or aerobars…. To hold the bikes I used carriers by Swagman ( a combination of fork down and upright (my son’s bike doesn’t have a quick release wheel)). I added 4 of these carriers ($36.95 x 4 = $147.80) (eTrailer). It’s all done and ready for spring (yah I know it isn’t even winter yet).

I’ll be watching for other things that I can use the rail system for as well. Maybe even create some custom tie downs.

Sorry that the pics aren’t the greatest. My project day was gray and rainy so the work was done in the garage.

Bakflip rail along the inside edge of the plastic bedside cap

With the plastic cap off you can see the 4 anchor holes (this is the other side of the truck). I used white-out to make markings to help align the holes I’d need to drill.

Trying to align the holes.

Drilling and aligning the TB60

Here is the system installed

I only tried it with 2 bikes to get the fit right. It is set up for 4 bikes. I placed the fork down attachments to the back for easy access.

The whole system is removed by removing 8 bolts. It leaves you with the Fit Kit that have these covers. Or you can remove the whole thing including the Fit Kit leaving just the rails. I haven’t decided what I will do.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes Honda makes one. They aren't cheap though, they msrp for like a grand at your local dealers.

But you can get one from a place like College hills Honda or Bernardi Honda and use the online parts store for around 699 plus shipping and tax.

I have the oem and find it to be fine. But there are some out there who really like the non-oem ones they have.

Link below is for Bernardi. College hills Honda is more expensive now(they want 860ish)

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
I have this tonneau cover on my 2017 RT. It retails for about 700. I don't recommend it. In the 2 years since I've had small glued on parts keep falling off. At lwast count, I'd collected about 5-6 of these pieces that have fallen off. Yesterday , the corner glued on bumper fell off. The locking mechanism handle has a part that has broken off. I am not hard on things but many parts of this cover are simply glued on and fall off. I am looking to replace it with a Lear brand which is more expensive but the manufacture looks sturdier or at least smarter. Who just glues bits and pieces on something that will bake in the sun and be expected to be moved frequently? It still works but I would expected much more longevity for the investment.

·
Registered
18 Posts
When you go to the Honda link you will see the 3 rubber bumpers that have all fallen off as they were clued on. Poor design. Little logic . Now corner bumpers which are also glued on have started falling off. Maybe if you garage it 100% of the time those little things will stay put. I don't and they don't . Buy at your own risk.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Had the OEM tonneau cover installed last week. Ordered it off estore.honda.com and delivered to my dealer to include savings on install as well. Hard cover, easy to fold/remove, and pretty dry so far after raining a little every day since. I'm happy with it.

image0.jpg
image1.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a weathertech bed cover for mt 2019 RTL. $495.00, Installs without drilling any holes. Very good quality and easy to install. Check out their website.a friend of mine has the same cover for two years and is very happy with it.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Hi, I just purchased a weathertech bed cover for mt 2019 RTL. $495.00, Installs without drilling any holes. Very good quality and easy to install. Check out their website.a friend of mine has the same cover for two years and is very happy with it.
No drilling required on OEM cover, just change out the upper fore and aft cargo tie down brackets and attach the cover.

·
Registered
512 Posts
No drilling required on OEM cover, just change out the upper fore and aft cargo tie down brackets and attach the cover.

Are the replacement brackets much different than the originals?

May I ask what it cost?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Are the replacement brackets much different than the originals?

May I ask what it cost?
Sorry for delay in responding, busy lately. Bought off Honda eStore and dealer installed for $880. Cover was about $835 I think. Install is straight forward, only replacing the four cargo tie downs and attaching the cover; I was too busy during holidays to DIY it.

Interior bed cargo space isn't compromised when folded. The three sections fold up behind cab atop bed rails extending aft about 20 inches over bed. Easy to remove if you need that 20 inch vertical space above bed rails.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Oh, and the replacement brackets have extended bar for latches to attach to just below and parallel to bed rails.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Oh, and the replacement brackets have extended bar for latches to attach to just below and parallel to bed rails.

Great info - thanks.

Could I trouble you for a pic of the rails or "underneath", down the road when you have a chance?

BTW, your garage is beautiful.

101 - 120 of 125 Posts