Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would like to hear from anyone with a 2G, that has this discoloration issue in their bed. My 2017 had the graying under the bed floor, in the compartment - but not this bad. But in 50K miles, this never happened. And it sat in the sun full-time.

This 2019,with just 14K miles and only is in the sun when driven, has this cloudy/fading issue, plus the trunk area is almost silver. Honda (here-say) from the local service manager that "American Honda" will not cover this under warranty. Additional (here-say) info, is that they think its chemical damage. Funny....that none of the other bedside trim has any issues, anywhere - if this is damage rather than poor quality.

Please post with a pic if your having this issue, needing help getting Honda to take care of this - thanks!
ridgeline bed 2.jpg
ridgeline bed 3.jpg
ridgeline bed 4.jpg
ridgeline bed.jpg
ridgeline bed 2.jpg
ridgeline bed 3.jpg
ridgeline bed 4.jpg
ridgeline bed.jpg

·
Registered
538 Posts
This 2019,with just 14K miles and only is in the sun when driven, has this cloudy/fading issue, plus the trunk area is almost silver. Honda (here-say) from the local service manager that "American Honda" will not cover this under warranty. Additional (here-say) info, is that they think its chemical damage.
The first two pictures clearly show that some type of liquid has dripped or been sprayed onto the bed and left spots.
I have no clue what it is, but it is definitely not just a fading issue.
I tend to agree with Honda on this one.

You can probably get it looking close to new in less time than it took you to talk to the service manager.
  • Use a good APC and thoroughly scrub the bed using brushes and microfiber towels.
  • Thoroughly rinse and dry.
  • Seal/restore the bed with Sonax PNS (cheap/easy) or Gyeon Trim (more expensive/involved)

Post pics here afterwards so we can see how it turned out.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 2019 has the same issue. For what it’s worth, I have never hauled anything in the bed other than furniture...and that was over a year ago. I also put a blanket down to protect it from any scratches.

My uneducated opinion is that it is weather/sun related, but...shrug.

Edit: I will post pictures when I am able to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The first two pictures clearly show that some type of liquid has dripped or been sprayed onto the bed and left spots.
I have no clue what it is, but it is definitely not just a fading issue.
I tend to agree with Honda on this one.

You can probably get it looking close to new in less time than it took you to talk to the service manager.
  • Use a good APC and thoroughly scrub the bed using brushes and microfiber towels.
  • Thoroughly rinse and dry.
  • Seal/restore the bed with Sonax PNS (cheap/easy) or Gyeon Trim (more expensive/involved)

Post pics here afterwards so we can see how it turned out.
If you are speaking to the side trim, it was rain that dried just before the pics were taken. The flat surface of the bed - no. My engineering degree and experience with plastics and fiberglass, plus trying to restore just a spot - after the first wash in my driveway with soft, conditioned water and a no abrasive soap - the discoloration came right back. Also, if it was staining, why would the underside of the cargo box compartment be discolored?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I will post pictures after this post, as I am not smart enough to figure out how to do both in the same post.

I never noticed the trunk lid till seeing the OP’s pictures. The last two are from the inside of the trunk, which look fine.

Perhaps car wash related??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
538 Posts
If you are speaking to the side trim, it was rain that dried just before the pics were taken. The flat surface of the bed - no. My engineering degree and experience with plastics and fiberglass, plus trying to restore just a spot - after the first wash in my driveway with soft, conditioned water and a no abrasive soap - the discoloration came right back. Also, if it was staining, why would the underside of the cargo box compartment be discolored?
I'm talking about the mostly horizontal "trim" right next to the sides of the truck bed, where it transitions to the flat floor of the truck bed.
You're saying normal rain water left all that white discoloring/staining spots? It is highly doubtful that rain water would leave those stains. Do you live next to a power plant?
I can see those same staining "drops" on the top edge of the trunk lid.

The underside of the trunk lid has a chalky look to it from the factory.
Some if it is leftover fiberglass/plastic "dust" from the manufacturing process (which can be cleaned up a bit), but the material itself has a grey/mottled look.

Either way, I'm not sure how you want Honda to "take care of this", short of giving you a brand new truck.
I definitely wouldn't want them trying to replace your truck bed, as it would cause more trouble/issues than it solves.

Why don't you follow the steps I suggested in my first post (to a small section of the bed) and let us know how it turns out?

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,665 Posts
It bothers me when I see this kind of stuff happen to vehicle owners. It would irritate me immensely, especially if I had nothing to do with it. If Honda does nothing for you, my suggestion would be to clean it up as suggested by @bluegrass, and then install a bedrug and most of it would be covered up.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
155 Posts
Mine looks the same. Here’s a pic of my trunk lid, from the day I bought it.

I noticed some actual dirt around the bed, and thought it was just a poor make ready. When I got home I got a good look and thought, “that sucks, guess I’ll have to clean it”

You can see the bed’s a little cloudy under the trunk lid, and zooming in can see identical looking stains on the trunk.

Dealer had the truck for 3 weeks to fix the rear window water leak, which just started rattling today. I was so concerned about the leak, I never brought up the bed condition.

Definitely taking it back and addressing it. This isn’t just a car wash issue, somethings either wrong with the material or somewhere along the line something got spilled or applied that’s staining the parts.

·
Super Moderator
2021 Radiant Red RTL
6,665 Posts
The underside of the trunk lid is not meant to look pristine. Similar to the underside of the front hood where the paint is not finished and looks dull. Having said that though, the top of the trunk lid and the bed should not be discolored.

I wonder if the OP, @finnster, ever got a resolution to his problem?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E, Pacific Pewter
155 Posts
The underside of the trunk lid is not meant to look pristine. Similar to the underside of the front hood where the paint is not finished and looks dull. Having said that though, the top of the trunk lid and the bed should not be discolored.

I wonder if the OP, @finnster, ever got a resolution to his problem?
Yeah, the bracing is different from the cover. I really was focused on just the cover as it was clearly sprayed with something.

After looking into the beds of about a dozen new RLs, I've seen differing amounts of it in almost all of them. It's areas of lighter color, not limited to the high spots that might be from friction.

I've also closely zoomed into pics of loaners given to media and have been able to see some of the same stuff in the same areas as mentioned here.

My dealer agreed to clean it up. Unfortunately, they also put some kind of glossy stuff on it. Once that evaporated, much of the discoloration remains, so I'm just accepting it as varying quality of the appearance of the panels and "it's a truck bed after all"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts