Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into the bed extender. I have checked out other postings about it...and have seen both positive and negative comments.

I don't see any advantage to it (at least not to justify the cost)...but am new to owning a truck...so I admit I could easily be missing the advantages of it. What does it do that I can't acheive with straps?

Is the OEM extender the best solution? The "angles" on the corners of it seem to cut down on the bed space available.

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
Guess that it all depends on what you're hauling! ;) Mine spends most of the time in the garage (whereas my bungee cords and tie-down straps are always in the trunk) but at times it has come in pretty handy.

Pros:
  • Once the brackets & snaps are installed it's very easy to mount/dismount and equally easy to use.
  • Easiest way that I know of to haul something bulky (bags of mulch, firewood, boxed cargo, etc.) that might want to slide out without having to tie it down.
  • More secure than tieing down with rope or bungee cords.
  • Fits under a BakFlip (and, I presume, other tonneau covers).
Cons:
  • Way more expensive than rope or ratchet-style tie-down straps.
  • Have to dismount to open the trunk.
  • Limits the length of what you're able to haul.
  • I wouldn't trust it as the sole means of holding something really heavy.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have the OEM bed extender and mine also spends the majority of the time in the garage. It came with the truck so I wasn't going to turn it down but it likely isn't something that i would purchase on my own as I've only used it a couple of times. I guess it just boils down to what you're hauling.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have a bed extender and a Truxedo tonneau cover. I use them both all of the time.

What I like about the extender:
- Easy to remove and re-mount.
- Makes a great 'trunk' under the Tonneau cover for groceries and other shopping trips
- Easily flips over to haul/hold longer items

What I don't like:
- I have to roll up the cover to get it out to access the trunk.

I think I'll keep them both ;-)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I have the OEM tonneau and bed extender. They complement each other in providing security and a ready to use "compartment". I don't have to futz with stuff rolling all over the bed.

I am very glad to have both with my RL. It "extends" the practicality of my RL (no pun intended).

I'm not a weekend handyman kind of guy; unlike many other members on the ROC. I'm not likely to haul sheet rock, plywood, mulch or anything likely to cause a bead of sweat. I do keep it in the bed at all times.

When needed, I moved a IKEA sofa; moved daughter from university housing to home, back to university housing, back to home, back to university housing; moving miscellaneous stuff from the house to the storage facility; moved the daughter to her first apartment after graduation; helped moved brother-in-law to condo. You get the picture.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
I got the Pepboys Extender when they were having a blowout sale and only paid $39 for it. Still I don't use it very much and it spends most of it's time in the garage with boxes stacked on it. I just have to find a clean way of mounting it in the back of the truck so it doesn't interfere with the trunk.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Agree with the posts in this thread.

I have the OEM one too. I like the functionality, including being able to mount it behind the cab (though I haven't used that feature yet). It is overpriced, though. And will live in the garage for the rare needed occasion.

It was perfect for when I bought new a twin mattress for my daughter's bed: the mattress and box springs fit perfectly in the bed snug to the extender, no tie downs required.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I have used the OEM Bed extender a few times.
I have used it when the BBQ Grille has been put into the bed of the truck.
Also when I got some indoor outdoor carpet I put the bed extender on for use. I have used it in the forward front positon once when the Tonneau Cover was off it did a nice job of keeping stuff in secure in the bed.
Like said it depends on whhat your hauling at the time.

·
5,740 Posts
I use mine a lot. It is like a second line of defense when you sorta over cram the bed with crap.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I use mine all the time.It stays in the back,when not in use I'll just flip it over and close the tailgate then i have a place to put small item and they don't roll around the bed.It comes in handy when hauling long pieces of lumber,plywood,Sheetrock,ect.yea I use my truck as a truck and one of the best add on is my bed extender.I believe the bed extender that angles out is for motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
If I lose a tie-down, My hope is that the bed extender will keep the scooters in the bed until I can get over to the side of the road.

In my many years of hauling bikes, I've never lost a helmet bag, ice chest, camp chair or anything from the bed of my trucks. It may only be just "piece of mind" but you really can't put a price on that right? :)

Attachments

·
Registered
7,369 Posts
I use mine a lot. It is like a second line of defense when you sorta over cram the bed with crap.
If I lose a tie-down, My hope is that the bed extender will keep the scooters in the bed until I can get over to the side of the road
No one can ever accuse either of you of being afraid to use your trucks to actually haul "stuff"! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
40 Posts
I can get a lot more camping gear in my Ridge' when I use the extender and it just feels more secure than when I've used the platform that fits into the hitch receiver. Be very careful when you install the brackets, I stripped one of the 3 screws and had to rely on the other two to do the job. :mad:

·
Registered
5,885 Posts
Great for extra security when hauling the JD and worth $39. Bungee to the front tiedowns when trunk access is needed. The front brackets would be nice but not necessary.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I can get a lot more camping gear in my Ridge' when I use the extender and it just feels more secure than when I've used the platform that fits into the hitch receiver. Be very careful when you install the brackets, I stripped one of the 3 screws and had to rely on the other two to do the job. :mad:
Oh man, you aren't kidding. Rear brackets are a pain. The right side 3 are almost all the way in, but the lefty has just 2, like yours.

·
Registered
201 Posts
You'd be surprised how much it comes in handy. I use mine all the time. It never fails, you will always need a couple more inches...

·
Registered
63 Posts
5S Dude,
I see the bed extender you have looks like the oem standard one. When I purchased my RL the salesman ordered the same one you have. My problem was., when I loaded ours bikes the bar would not fit around the bikes. I had him reorder the motorcycle one. Now, it fits with just a lil pushing in on each rear tire towards the middle. Looks like yours fit ok!. Is there another different bar extender?.:act002:

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
Not only is it good to use it when your bed is open, it works great to create a little space against the inside of your tailgate and the extender. I used mine that way a lot on my Tacoma. That's where I used to put my groceries when I went shopping and it would keep 'em in their place. Also good for other things. It kept a lot of things from sliding all around the bed whenever the tailgate was up.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
I don't use the bed extender too often, but it has come in handy on several occasions. I used it today to take some things be recycled. I had to replace the dishwasher, and called to see how much it would cost to set it out with the trash...$35.00. I found a local recycling center that will take appliances etc. A trip to them and they paid me $10.00 for some wore out items.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
as DLIT said, not only is it good to use when your bed is open, it works great to create a little space against the inside of your tailgate when its closed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts