Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Bed Extender on the G2? Mainly I wanted to know if its mounting points were the tie downs, if it impacts the opening of the trunk when its flipped forward into the bed, and if it can stay on under the tonneau cover?

I have the AMP Research one in my 12 Silverado and love it for keeping things from rolling forward, and using it when I haul an ATV or something that's just a bit too long to close the tailgate.

I'm waiting on my local dealer to call me for an update on a RTL-E order I'm trying to get in, but until then I'm researching accessories that I would like to get.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Here are a couple pictures that I hope will answer your questions. The trunk will not open with the extender in either position when mounted in the tailgate position. The trunk can be opened if mounted in the forward position, I don't have the forward mounts, but they replace the lower tie downs, I just placed the extender in about the position it would be.

I don't have a tonneau cover, but maybe someone cam guess from my pictures on where its top level is and if it they will work together.
I bought an extender that was unused from a Ridgeline G1 owner. It didn't come with the two forward mounts or the two rear mounts, the owner had left them on the Ridgeline when they sold it. I didn't think it was a big deal until I went to buy them, the retail price was almost $180 for the set!! The Parts guy at the local Honda dealership felt sorry for me and gave me his friends and family discount for the two rear mounts which was about $38.00 (the fronts are twice as much). So, if you happen to buy a used one, make sure you get all the mounts and hardware!

·
Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E, Northeast U.S.
2,891 Posts
I don't have the bed extender but I've had them before. The word is that the bed extender will not fit under the tonneau so you can either open the tonneau and have the bed extender inside the bed or open the tailgate and roll out the bed extender when you want to close the tonneau. So they will coexist. The tonneau is designed to be completely open and to drive around that way. It has clips that lock it in the open position for safety. I'm not sure I would want to always drive it that way. But I guess it might be better than always driving with a tailgate open.

In case you haven't read the other threads about the Honda tonneau: it leaks like a sieve. It's not at all watertight; if that matters to you, don't get it. Fit and finish of my particular unit isn't as good as I'm used to from the OEM, Extang, either. I don't think the leakage problem is primarily Extang's fault. Honda should have built a bed rail system into this truck like that Tacoma and others have. There's no other way to anchor anything onto the bed rails. That's the real problem.

Two questions back at either of you: Does the bed extender have a quick release mechanism? Also did you have to do any drilling to install it? The last Amp Research bed extender I bought, for Tacoma, required drilling so I sent it back.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Two questions back at either of you: Does the bed extender have a quick release mechanism? Also did you have to do any drilling to install it? The last Amp Research bed extender I bought, for Tacoma, required drilling so I sent it back.
The G2 has tapped holes in the back for the bracket which has a "quick release" feature on it. The front brackets replace the lower two tie down brackets (which also have a tie down loop designed into them, so there is still a lower tie down). Hope that answers your questions.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses. I did read all the posts about your tonneau and saw the leak problems. I'll probably still get it. I don't rely on it to be water tight, but at least it keeps the rain off better than having nothing at all. The extang on my Silverado gets water in from the tailgate and a little on the side if it's windy enough, the seals arent the greatest after 4 years.

I didn't realize the Ridgeline has front mounts for the extender. I'll probably end up passing on the extender and just rely on straps a little more if I leave the gate open. With the swing out gate, and trunk I probably won't have much that would roll around or I wouldn't reach.

I'm not even sure if my truck has been ordered yet. The dealer submitted to Honda yesterday and will know by the end of the week if they accepted the order. If they didn't, they're back to trying to swap with another dealer, but from what I understand the White on Black RTL-E are hard to come by. I would've
loved to get the Blue, but I won't do anything other than black leather. I'll never understand why Honda doest give you all interior options in all colors.

By the time I end up getting the truck, maybe some of the other tonneau options will be out!

·
Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
The G2 has tapped holes in the back for the bracket which has a "quick release" feature on it. The front brackets replace the lower two tie down brackets (which also have a tie down loop designed into them, so there is still a lower tie down). Hope that answers your questions.

Thanks, it does.

·
Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
ErieRidge:

Welcome to ROC.

Good luck on the new truck. There are some very well-known characters around here who also chose white on black. I love the white personally, because it looks almost cream in the right light. Anyway, those folks have gotten their trucks so you will too.

Question about your Silverado's Extang. Do you remember what model that is? Is it by chance a Solid Fold 2.0? I don't think the Solid Fold 2.0 has been around for four years, though.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you. I've been quietly hanging around here since I got my 2008 Ridgeline, and after waiting for a new one to come out, I traded that at about 60k miles for the Chevy. After about 3 years with a vehicle I start to get the itch for something new. That Ridgeline was actually the longest I ever kept a vehicle at 3.5 years. I've been following Joes updates for at least 2 years though anxiously waiting for he G2. I'm really looking forward to the new truck. My 80 mile daily commute at 15.5 mpg highway isn't as easy on the wallet as the new Ridgeline should be!

My extang is the Trifecta. I rarely have anything in the bed, but do drive the truck once a year from Pennsylvania to South Carolina on vacation. As long as I can keep some rain off the suitcases, I'm good to go.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You didn't have to drill through the skin of the bed on the sides to reveal the threaded mounting holes for the bed extender mounts?

My G2 has "pads" on each side which coincide with the holes in my G1 bed extender quick release mounts. But I was a little queasy about punching or drilling through to see if threads existed below the skin.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
You didn't have to drill through the skin of the bed on the sides to reveal the threaded mounting holes for the bed extender mounts?

My G2 has "pads" on each side which coincide with the holes in my G1 bed extender quick release mounts. But I was a little queasy about punching or drilling through to see if threads existed below the skin.

Yes, there is a very thin rubber/plastic skin that you use a needle to poke thru (no drill needed) to reveal the threaded holes.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Can we assume the G1 extender does not work for G2?

·
Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
Thank you. I've been quietly hanging around here since I got my 2008 Ridgeline, and after waiting for a new one to come out, I traded that at about 60k miles for the Chevy. After about 3 years with a vehicle I start to get the itch for something new. That Ridgeline was actually the longest I ever kept a vehicle at 3.5 years. I've been following Joes updates for at least 2 years though anxiously waiting for he G2. I'm really looking forward to the new truck. My 80 mile daily commute at 15.5 mpg highway isn't as easy on the wallet as the new Ridgeline should be!

My extang is the Trifecta. I rarely have anything in the bed, but do drive the truck once a year from Pennsylvania to South Carolina on vacation. As long as I can keep some rain off the suitcases, I'm good to go.
And you can always put the most important stuff in the trunk!

·
Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
Well, I wouldn't want to do it but the fellow who posted the pictures of the bed extender says that he installed a G1 extender.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
It works, if the one I bought that was off a G1 was setup for a G1, then all you have to do is loosen up the center bars and add stretch out some (I didn't take any before and after measurements), but there is plenty of tubing length to do it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Anyone have pics of the extender actually mounted at the front? Does it sit flush to the cab or back a bit?

Thanks
I purchased an OEM G2 extender, it does not sit flush with the cab when in the front mount position (it is very close). I don't think you would want it flush with the cab however as the bed has a small lip in the front that would make it a pain to clip into the forward mount.

The G2 extender does not sit level in the bed like the G1 does (or i need to move the feet a little?). There is a picture of it on the G2 picture thread.

The curve of the G2 extender makes it feel as though it is smaller than the G1.

·
Registered
5 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
On the bed extender for motorcycle the top two hoops are bigger allowing the motorcycle tire to extend pas the end of the bed. The regular bed extender all three hoops are the same size. Looking at a vertical profile the regular bed extender would look like this | and the motorcycle like this /

1 - 20 of 32 Posts