Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
i bought a bed mat at e-z automotive concepts for 75bucks its cut to fit 5'x9' worked out great solved the scratching of the bed

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
I decided to go cheap. The bed mats and liners I looked at were fairly heavy and none fit right. I would have to do a major cut and paste job to make it come out right. Also, I could see a problem with keeping a liner in the bed all the time as it would be a pain to get in and out of the trunk with a mat laying on top. I could cut it in two pieces I suppose but still a pain. Plus, they wanted nearly a hundred bucks for the ones I looked at.

I was just going to get an old piece of carpet but that too would interfere with getting in the trunk and would not protect the walls at all. So, since I don't use the bed all that often (at least not with too many items that would scratch it), I went with an old, thick quilt I was going to toss out.

I fold it up and secure it with a bungee cord and keep it in the trunk. When I need to line the bed I toss it up and over the sides thereby protecting the entire bed area. I've hauled lawn equipment that way a couple of times with no problems. The lawn clippings and twigs that fall off my machines and lawn mower are just shaken off; no sweeping required and no scratches of any kind.

I have a cheap $12 rubber cargo net I got on ebay to secure anything that is very smooth, such as a table - which is about the only thing that might slide on a (thick) quilt anyway. I would recommend this approach if you only use the bed to haul with once in a while. I would think daily use would require a bed liner of some sort that you lay down and forget about (at least until you need to get into the trunk that is).

If you don't have things like a thick quilt, comforter or old sleeping bag just go to a couple estate sales and you will find them there for sure - and CHEAP!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Okay I took the cheap route. I bought a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet (Lowes $15) and cut it to fit the bed. It doesn't interfere with the trunk at all. It opens just fine without moving the carpet and you don’t have to hold up the trunk panel. I made this because the black bed gets so hot in the sun when the dog’s back there. I’m not really sure why everyone is so worried about scratching the bed. After all, it’s a truck and the bed won't rust. Look at this way. In a hundred years who’s going to care.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I ordered and just installed a mat from truckcustomizers.com. I am not the first with this, I got this info somewhere on the site awhile back. The item number was R4LRV4.3D, made for a 88 and up c/k pickup. $56.68 delivered. I just put it in last night, width fit perfect between 'wheel wells' I cut off 17inches and that fit perfect in trunk bottom, my plan if I need to haul something across tailgate is to put this piece on it, fits here nice also. One small thing, when you cut, snips work well and turn mat around and cut excess off end that will wind up against cab. This makes finished end of mat wind up at tailgate and the ProTecta name come out almost in center of box.

·
Registered
491 Posts
exactly what I did! I also scored the back where the trunk opens...I don't think it did anything though. Otherwise this works great.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I got the Protecta mat too and cut it to fit. Looks good and fits perfectly. Just used a box cutter to slice through the rubber. Took a little while, but with a piece of wood trim as a straight-edge it came out looking fine. It's heavy enough not to go blowing around in the bed and yet light enough so it doesn't mess up the trunk operation. It's easy to just flip it back too for those times when I'm showing off the trunk to newbies!

·
Registered
491 Posts
The other day, at about 8o mph, I noticed the front corner was flipping up in the air on my bed mat. I had a few items in the bed that may have changed the airflow. So be careful, and keep an eye on it if you are doing 80 mph!

·
Registered
774 Posts
Thanks for the advice, everyone. I just placed my order with truckcustomizers.com. $56 is a small price to pay to keep the bed looking good. For those questioning the need to protect your bed, remember that you will need to sell your RL someday. Why not keep the bed looking close to new?

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Ordered my mat today and look forward to getting it. I don't want to use the bed of the truck for any hauling until then.

Hey, Maybearidge.....did you plan on putting anything down to keep the mat from coming up again?

·
Registered
774 Posts
oridgenL said:
I ordered and just installed a mat from truckcustomizers.com. I am not the first with this, I got this info somewhere on the site awhile back. The item number was R4LRV4.3D, made for a 88 and up c/k pickup. $56.68 delivered. I just put it in last night, width fit perfect between 'wheel wells' I cut off 17inches and that fit perfect in trunk bottom, my plan if I need to haul something across tailgate is to put this piece on it, fits here nice also. One small thing, when you cut, snips work well and turn mat around and cut excess off end that will wind up against cab. This makes finished end of mat wind up at tailgate and the ProTecta name come out almost in center of box.
Followed your instructions exactly- worked out great. I ended up cutting the extra mat to fit in the trunk. A good use of the waste piece. Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have been on the receiving end of very helpfull information many times from the people on this site. I am thankfull to the folks who bring this all together. Gary Flint did a fine job engineering this truck, the Ridgeline Owners Club is bringing us "The rest of the story" :)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Got my Protecta mat this weekend and put it in. Thanks to all for the suggestions! I put it right to use by hauling a bed couch for my sister. Nice not to have to worry about the scratching!

Although I cut the bed mat to size (59 1/2 inches), I am going to trim the excess piece to fit the tail gate. Does anyone know if a bed extender will be affected if I 'glue' the mat on to the inside part of the tailgate? Otherwise, I'll just carry it in the trunk and use it if I put the tailgate down (like I did today).

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
meanmachine19 said:
Although I cut the bed mat to size (59 1/2 inches), I am going to trim the excess piece to fit the tail gate. Does anyone know if a bed extender will be affected if I 'glue' the mat on to the inside part of the tailgate? Otherwise, I'll just carry it in the trunk and use it if I put the tailgate down (like I did today).
The Bed Extender may be impacted by the mat because it has a strap and buttons. I am not sure if the strap has the extra length to it to allow it to reach the buttons if you add the mat in between. Of course you could drill the mat for the holes that match up with the extender legs and maybe find some sort of plastic cap that will fit inside the holes. Then when you have the extender out you pull the caps and drop the legs into the holes so that the straps still reach. I have my extender up at the front so I haven't really tried to see how must play there is in the straps, but I would hope not much if any.

L

·
0 Posts
I saw a comfy, cuddly carpet in Ultra-HOG's bed the other night. It worked great!!

·
Registered
858 Posts
I just got the Protecta today. I think it will serve my needs nicely. I tried flipping it back to get into the trunk and it wasn't difficult. I think I may not cut it to fit and leave it long to protect the tailgate. It isn't as thick as other bed mats I've had but the others wouldn't roll up as easily as this one.

:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Just install a bed mat today by cutting down the stall mat from Farm and Tractor. The mat comes 4' by 7'. By cutting it 59 5/8 inches it fits perfectly with enough left to make a mat for the trunk. The mat itself is 5/8 inch thick and does a great job of protecting the bed. I paid $35.00 for it so it is a great buy.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts