Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking to see if anyone out there has made a bed rack with a basket for the back of the truck. I am currently in the process of fabricating a mock up. To start with I am using Schedule 40 PVC Pipe (Very durable, and easy to work with). I plan on getting the measurements from the mock up and having a friend of mine weld up a steel frame / rack for the basket. I am running into a little bit of a snag when it comes to mounting the legs of the frame / rack to the bed of the ridgeline using the bed tie downs. Has anyone ever attempted to mount anything to the 4 tie downs in the bed and if so how did you do it. Currently I have drilled a hole through the pvc pipe, inserted a threaded bolt on the front end, and a large washer and nut on the back end (securing it to the tie downs)

I will have pictures in the next couple of days of the mock up.

Thanks for your help ibn advanced with this.

Reactions: Jeff Barbour

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
PVC breaks down under UV light, so I would not recommend using them for anything on a car.

I went through the thought process before and here is what I came up with.

Adapt a roof rack for the back by drilling into the bed rails/through the black plastic. The bed length is short and needs to be measured to adapt anything.

ProLine Racks >> Permanent Car Roof Racks - OEM style rooftop luggage rack, has a great selection to choose from. This makes it a one stop shop for something solid and also leaves you with the tie downs usable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
smurfguy - The PVC will not be a permanent item. The PVC was only used to create a mock up. I will be making the final rack out of diameter steel. Thanks for the link you supplied.

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
I managed to take a couple of pictures of the mock up. Let me know what you guys think and any modifications I could make, especially to attach to the ridgeline tie downs.

Attachments

Registered
That rack looks pretty danged cool. Any reason you didn't go a little higher though to match the roof line and also avoid blocking the rear visibility? Also seeing your pictures makes me wish I had gotten a White RL and black rims like my original plan... It's just such a great look. Some days I love the Black Edition and some days I wish I'd have followed through.

Premium Member
That rack looks pretty danged cool. Any reason you didn't go a little higher though to match the roof line and also avoid blocking the rear visibility?
My guess is wind resistance and noise...

BTW, I agree, that's pretty cool!

Reactions: DKinney

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The mock up does allow you to get to the height of the cross bars of the roof rack as well. Tough to tell from the pictures, but the 2 vertical pieces attached to the tie downs near the back of the truck and in front are 2" diameter. The "inserts" that go into those 2" diameter pvc pipes are 1.5". I have a couple of different increments / heights that I could but the rack at. So when the bed rack is at its lowest height (pictured above) it sits below the roof line of the truck, and still allows me to put stuff in the bed of the truck as well as on top of the bed rack (basket).

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
I have not seen much, However I have not seen him around for the last 2.5 months to witness an update.

Registered
This thread inspired me in my rack build. I wanted to make a rack that work over the tonneau cover. I figured I'd post it here to maybe help others.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts