Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys! Just purchased my first Ridgeline Friday. I got a 2006 RT with only 44,000 miles and am loving it. So much cab space compared to my Tacoma Access cab that I sold for it. Anyway, I paddlesurf and kayak fish and need a good way to transport them. I have read the posts about the Vantech Racks and was about to buy them but then I found these by U.S. Rack.

http://usrack.com/honda_ridgeline_rack.php?gclid=CJXuhIeQz6YCFcXD7QodKnubFw

I have found a few threads that talk about the Vantech racks but nothing about these racks that are also made for the Ridgeline and apparently also install without drilling.

So my question? Has anyone tried the U.S. Rack system? I would love to hear about how you feel about them. Also, if anyone has the Vantech racks, I would love to hear how you feel about those as well.

I need to make a decision soon so I can get out there and surf. Since neither company sells their products in stores and therefore cannot see them first hand I could really use some help. I haven't seen anyone with them here in San Diego I would love to hear pros/cons and your experience with each one.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Welcome to the ROC.
Please post pics after you find you racks you are looking for...

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (successor to 2010 Dark Cherry Pearl RTL)
1,206 Posts
Welcome to the ROC and congratulations on your new-to-you Ridgeline!

I noticed on US Track's site that these racks are not compatible with tonneau covers. I do have a cover that requires side rails along the bed rail, so I can kinda see that.

Let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
37 Posts
heres my set up, the bed extender was $100 from amazon the black roof racks are a 2010 Honda part from e bay that i think i paid $225 for and the trailer hitch as installed by u haul for under $400.the roof rack and trailer hitch may have been cheaper from the dealer but i didn't like the way they tried to run the price up at the end of the sale so i don't regret what i did.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That set-up looks like it works well. I don't have racks on my cab though. I guess that would be an option as well. Are you happy with your factory cab racks?

·
Registered
218 Posts
looks good this way too

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
the bed extender consists of three parts , a "T" section,a short 90 degree right angle and a long straight section this set up has a couple of good things to note. first ,pull the pin in the hitch reciever and the whole thing comes down and you can go through a car wash.second the kayak can be transported in the manor shown in my picture with the boat riding up on top of the truck. third reverse the assembly and it becomes a true bed extender with the kayak resting in the bed and the tail end supported by the bed extender.easier to load like this but i didn't like the boat extending beyond the tail lights just waiting to be hit by someone texting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tech 35: Are those the aluminum Gen 2 racks? How happy are you with them? Are they sturdy? I plan on using them to load up 1-2 kayaks on one side for fishing (62 lbs. each) and 2-3 stand-up paddle surf boards on the other side (20-30 lbs. each). How do you think the rack will hold up with all of the bumps and vibrations created on washboard dirt roads in Mexico? During my trip to Mexico last summer the racks that a buddy bought for his truck and our trip vibrated into pieces by the end of the trip with a similar load. We had to finish the trip fixing the rack with spare bolts and screws, a couple of 2x4 boards, clamps, and duct tape. It was pretty sketchy, especially when you factor in the replacement cost of all the water sports gear riding on them is well over $6,000. I don't want to relive that. I want to be sure that the rack I buy is very securely fastened to the truck and whose workmanship will not succumb to the dirt roads in Mexico.
How well are they connected to the truck? How wide are your racks? Is wind noise an issue (or whistling) with either the two uprights in the back or with the over the cab version?
Thanks for any help, it is greatly appreciated.

It sure would be easier if they were sold in stores, I would love to see them in person.

·
Registered
218 Posts
chazms, this is the steel version and very sturdy, if you have taken off the plastic bed rails you will see i think 6 slots that accepts tabs on the plastic bed rail but for the rack you slide some split spring nuts in place, so its sturdy if down force is applied but the front area may shimmy left and right slightly if you are on washboard roads. i did get wind noise with the full rack but nothing in "sport mode" as i call it. I am happy with it but i am also one of those guys who tries to reinvent everything and make it better. up here in snow country i have taken it off for winter in fear of rust starting and will upgrade to stainless steel hardware next spring. i think it would hold up fine for your purpose.:act035:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the response. Is there a reason you went with steel over aluminum? Is the steel more durable? I was leaning towards aluminum since I live by the beach and wanted to avoid rust.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i was lucky enough to be selected by Jason at Vantech to get a big discount to be the model for the website, so this was the first steel version, i think the alum version would be just as sturdy, and the siderails if alum would be lighter and serve the same purpose probably.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I've got a Ridge Rack #1 coming from US Rack next week. Will post installation pictures.

Chris at US Rack tells me it's a clamping system that secures the rack in place - so no drilling at all. Also, this rack has Thule sized cross bars which will help me with accessories I need to attach for carrying boats and potentially more bikes, since my Raxter hitch rack only carries (4). (I own / operate a guide service that specializes in guided mountain bike trips and I do add-ons for rafting, canoeing, kayaking, and other stuff).

Worked out a good deal with US Rack on this and am excited to try it out!

Now...about that camo wrap someone posted elsewhere....hmmm.....:act035:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome guys! Thank you so much for the input. So far I am leaning towards the Vantech rack because I may add a roll up cover to the bed later and you can't do that with the U.S. Rack, but I am anxious to see your pictures when you install.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ordered the Vantech 72" Silver rack. Should have it next week. Can't wait to see how it is going to work for my surfboards. Will post pictures next weekend.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts