Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted to share with you guys a bed rail I added to the G2 with a tonneau cover. Looks nice and doesn't get in the way of anything. One issue is that it's recessed a little too much so the side walls can block something you're wanting to install.

Because I had to remove 4 brackets for the tonneau cover, I used them on the bed rails. I plan on putting a J hook on next.

Not sure how popular this can be so let me know if you guys want me to post instructions.

Update:

Here's the instructions, I got most of it from a Tundra DIY and just worked it in based on Ridgeline specs. - https://www.tundras.com/threads/diy-unistrut-bed-rails-cheaper-option-than-oem.1906/

Parts:

Rails-Unistrut
Unistrut from a local hardware store. I know Home Depot carries these in the electrical section. I did 44-1/2" long in each side.

Installation Hardware:
(6) M6 x 1
(6) 1/4" fender washers

Mounting Hardware:
3/8? Unistrut channel nuts or cone nuts
3/8? Hex Head Bolts (length depends on what your attaching but I used 1" for the d rings)
3/8? Lock Washers
3/8? Fender Washers

Tools for Mounting:
Torx T30 Bit
Screw driver, ratchet or impact driver that can fit a bit.

Bed Rail Installation:

Before you install, be sure you know what you're doing and have all the correct tools and part. Safety is the biggest concern so please have all safety equipment for your safety.

Step 1:
Cut the unistrut to the desired length. Mine was cut so I still have a gap on both ends, but after installing it, I can tell it doesn't really matter if you leave a gap or not.

Step 1.2:
Paint the rails if desired - the paint does come off easily so it's up to you.

Step 2:
Remove the existing bolts from the bed with a torx T30 bit.

Step 3:
Line up the holes to see if you can screw the bolts in. I had to drill another hole for the center bolt and that got a little messy because it right next to a unistrut hole.

Step 4:
Once everything lines up, march the washer holes then the bolt through the washer, screwing it in to each hole until it's tight.

Repeat steps 2-4 for the other side.

At this point you're done with the rail installation.

Mounting Accessories Installation:

Step 1:
Slide the unistruit nut(s) on to the rail in desired location.

Step 2:
Place the accessory bolt holes aligned with unistruit holes.

Step 3:
I put the locking washer between the accessory and unistruit nut, then the washer and finally screwing in the bolt.

Step 4:
Tighten the bolts

If you want to move the accessory, just loosen, slide and re-tighten.

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2017 Ridgeline RTL-E | Northeast U.S.
2,967 Posts
Hey, this rocks. This is exactly that what I suggested to the Rugged Liner people that they build – a recessed rail for their Premium Hard Folding Tonneau. So let me see if I understand what's going on in this picture: you built a rail about 3 inches below using the three bolts that run along the side is my guess but also clearly the T50 tiedown bolts. And then you used the clamps that came with a tonneau to clamp to your rail? What tonneau did you buy? Is that rail something you bought at Home Depot? What did you do in the front under the rear window, more of the same?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did use the 3 existing bolt mounts that I believe are for the bed walls to mount the rails but this system is stand alone, it has nothing to do with the tonneau cover.

I have the bak revolver x2 which rolls up and it comes with an extra rail so you can install it but does cause a lip over the top rail to extend into the bed more. The bak came with mounts so I had to replace the OEM d rings which left me with extra d rings to put on the rail to help tie down anything.

I didn't do anything under the rear window yet but there is the same type of set up there as well but it sits higher so it won't be leveled with the other rails, so I'm still debating whether I want to do it or not.

As for the rail I will include instructions soon.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
OK. I want to know where you got the rails. They look like a picture someone posted of rails you can get at Menards. Unfortunately Menard's isn't in my area, and the Home Depot equivalent is clearly nowhere near as good.

· Super Moderator
2,967 Posts
There are plenty of accessories that can be mounted on a rail like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rails can be used to install a variety of items where you can attach to the rail.

For example:
- Extra d rings to help tie down your cargo and even adjust the location for better tie downs
- j hooks to hang bags, tools, etc
- boxes to store items
- dividers so your cargo won't slide around

Depends on your needs and what you can come up with.

It's super low profile so it doesn't get in the way and fairly easy and inexpensive to do as long as you have the right tools.

Attachments

· Registered
310 Posts
The rails can be used to install a variety of items where you can attach to the rail.

For example:
- Extra d rings to help tie down your cargo and even adjust the location for better tie downs
- boxes to store items

It's super low profile so it doesn't get in the way and fairly easy and inexpensive to do as long as you have the right tools.
I like that rack in the top picture. I could imagine that being an excellent place to store a full size spare tire for some of the guys who do some off-roading or long road trips.

· Registered
302 Posts

For example:
- boxes to store items

do the rails impede on the trunk opening in any way?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wanted to share with you guys a bed rail I added to the G2 with a tonneau cover. Looks nice and doesn't get in the way of anything. One issue is that it's recessed a little too much so the side walls can block something you're wanting to install.

Because I had to remove 4 brackets for the tonneau cover, I used them on the bed rails. I plan on putting a J hook on next.

Not sure how popular this can be so let me know if you guys want me to post instructions.

For example:
- boxes to store items

do the rails impede on the trunk opening in any way?
The rail doesn't get in the way of the trunk but if you have any accessories that stick out pass the wall, it will get in the way of the trunk opening. But with this system you can move you accessories. See picture.

The bak revolver x2 does get in the way of the trunk but still opens about 95% so it still works.

Attachments

· Registered
225 Posts
Im going to add these soon, I'll probably purchase the supplies this weekend. Theres a few tools I would like to have with me when I go up in the woods, and this is a great alternative to be able to add things to the bed like a lot of the Toyota guys are able to do from factory.

· Registered
225 Posts
really easy mod to the trunk bed...it cost about 35 dollars. I ended up just using hardware I had already and the bolts the were original to the truck. I dont have plans to bear much weight on these, so it will be fine. Coated in bed liner to try and match the factory anchor spots. I'll be adding a rotopax fuel canister shortly.

· Super Moderator
2022 Sonic Gray Pearl RTL-E
9,158 Posts
View attachment 395276

Got the rotopax mount set up and installed with slight modification. I used the mounting plate intended for toyota/Nissan. I had to move the mount up about 1.25 inches to allow for clearance of the 2 or 2.5 gallon can I intend to mount. Pretty happy with results.
That looks great and seems like a sleek installation. Where did you purchase the rail?

· Registered
225 Posts
Finally order and received the rotopax 2 gallon canister. Had to tweak it a little more...but it fits tight and sturdy and out of the way of the trunk. I originally had it sitting below the bed, sideways, but decided I rather have it sit vertically because of where the handles are. I dont really mind it stick up above the bed side.

· Registered
RTL-E Lunar Silver
7 Posts
Hi,
I traded in my 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport for a 2020 Ridgeline today. I'm really excited about this truck. Anyway, I have a Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack setup from the Taco that I'm hoping to install on the Ridgeline so I can carry my kayak. I think this bedrail system might just solve my problem.. Has anyone here installed a Yakima rack on the bed? Thanks

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
I traded in my 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport for a 2020 Ridgeline today. I'm really excited about this truck. Anyway, I have a Yakima Overhaul HD bed rack setup from the Taco that I'm hoping to install on the Ridgeline so I can carry my kayak. I think this bedrail system might just solve my problem.. Has anyone here installed a Yakima rack on the bed? Thanks

I installed the yakima Overhaul hd on my 2017 rtl. Here's the link. Hope it helps.

· Registered
2017 Black Edition
24 Posts
I did a Tacoma accessory rail install on my Gen 2 Ridgeline. My goal was to keep it to the Tacoma dimensions of 2 1/2 inches to the center of the rail (measured from the top of the truck bed) with a slight reveal so I could use the Toyota cleats, reattach my Softopper, and eventually attach an UpTOP Overland bed rack.

I used two of the OEM Tacoma header rails, which I cut down to 48 inches. This is the length of the Tacoma factory side rails and just fits in between the Honda tie-downs. A 2 inch wide piece of steel bar stock was drilled and attached using the three factory M6 holes with countersunk bolts. The bar was then primed and painted. Nylon spacers on the bolts between the bar and the truck bed were used to create the proper positioning. The bar was drilled and tapped along its length, which allowed attachment of the rail along the upper edge.

Since the rail partially covered the three attachment points in the truck bed, I had to first attach the bar, then the rail. Photos show the steps and the final rails with Toyota cleats.

Some of the parts are as follows:

Grille Bumper Gas Automotive exterior Electronic device
Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Machine Grille
Grille Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Auto part
Wood Bumper Automotive tire Automotive exterior Automotive design
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.