Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just discovered that the trailer I usually use to tow my lawn mower around has been stolen. It was kind of old and beat up anyway so I'm thinking that instead of replacing it I'll just get a set of ramps for my bed, now that I have a truck :D

I don't have any experience with this kind of thing so I'm looking for advice from those of you who do. I saw a set of steel ramps at Sears for $150, they also had a set of aluminum ramps form $180. I'd definitely go with the aluminum I think. Are these good prices though?

Advice? Suggestions?

Thanks!

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
No doubt the aluminum ramps are nice. I can't comment on the price. If you want to save some coin for your Ridgeline accessories, you can always make your own ramps. Jacks Small Engines sells a nice set of ramp ends.

ramp ends

They work great.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bellteck said:
I was looking at a set at SAMS, $97.62 is what the web site says. 1200lbs. Not bad for ATVs, bikes, mowers etc...
Yeah, I've seen that one I'm looking for something that'll fold up more so it'll easily fit in the bed, even with the mower in it.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tiger said:
The rampst hat Bellteck shows do fold up. I used a set like this for a number of years.

Tiger

Tiger,

I wasn't saying that it doesn't fold, I was saying that I want one that folds more than that. I believe that this ramp is 6', which makes it too long to fit in the bed with the tailgate up. It looks to me like it folds in half with the hinge running vertically down the center of the ramp. I'd prefer two ramps that can fold in half to make them short enough to fit in the bed.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
bellteck said:
Yea cool those were 6Ft - they also have these 7 1/2 foot folders for $125
Yup! Those are the ones that I'm considering! They'll fold in half the right way to fit in the bed.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Make sure the folding ramps have features to prevent pinching your fingers when folding. There have been some real horror-stories regarding folding ramps in the MX world....

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Londo said:
Make sure the folding ramps have features to prevent pinching your fingers when folding. There have been some real horror-stories regarding folding ramps in the MX world....
No offense intended, but I think it takes the same amount of intelligence to close the tailgate without pinching your fingers in it as it does to fold/unfold a pair of ramps without pinching your fingers.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Londo said:
Yikes, I guess I'd better have my wife close the tailgate for me
:eek:

As I said, no offense intended. Accidents do happen. :eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Why not just spend 19 bucks a month on 24 hour fitness and pick it up yoourself..... You will live longer ,,,, unless you have a bad back.
And if thats the case just sell the mower a hire it out.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Baja said:
Why not just spend 19 bucks a month on 24 hour fitness and pick it up yoourself..... You will live longer ,,,, unless you have a bad back.
And if thats the case just sell the mower a hire it out.
Well, as a matter of fact, I do have a bad back. But that's beside the point, I don't think that anyone in their right mind would try to lift an 18hp Craftsman Lawn Tractor with 42" mowing deck into the back of a pickup truck. That sucker's got to be upwards of 300 lbs., not to mention how doggone big it is. You'd need at least two Mr. Universe types for that kind of job. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
your yard must be allot bigger than mine....

I would still go for the small utility trailer and just drive that thing up on it if that is possible.

Happy mowing.

BAJA

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
Probably closer to 450lbs. My Deere 345 weighs 650lbs, and I doubt it would fit in the bed. If you're looking at $150 for ramps, have you thought about $300 for a nice used landscape trailer?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts