Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been reading the forum for awhile now, and I love the new look. You guys are really helpful for everything Ridgeline. It's awesome.

My son is getting older, and I want to start doing small to medium truck jobs with him. I'm good with my hands and have a fairly broad background.

What I don't have is specific ridgeline knowledge. I've got a 2014 SE.

If I wanted to do an A12 service, I know that's oil, brake fluid, tire rotation, check the drive belt, and filters.

I think I've got the filter stuff down, but before I take the plunge on the oil and brake fluid I wanted to see if you guys have any recommendation on Ridge specific tools. Is there a particular torque wrench you like? A particular brand of oil filter? Brand of brake fluid?

I know not to chince out on brake fluid, but I don't really have a good lead on oil filters.

So, really, my hope for this thread would be to compile a list of tools and products that make caring for the Ridge easier.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,376 Posts
OP, There are many threads on the topics you asked about, if you try the search in the upper right side, change the setting to VB Search \/ (use the down arrow) several threads, loads of good reading.

In addition to the OEM Filter also refered to as the A01 by Filtech there is also a filter by Mahle which many like, I've been a fan of the KN Oil filters, I like the 1" nut on the end, but not a necessity on the RL because of the ease of access, others like the WIX, others like the Purolator Pure One. YMMV

Reactions: skelley521

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
For a torque wrench, I've been happy with Craftsman from Sears. Get a 20-150 ft. lb. model for general use (tire lug-nuts, etc.) which is 1/2" drive, and a 25-250 in. lb. (note: Inch Pounds!) for things like spark plugs, which is 3/8" drive.

Think about picking up a 1/2" breaker bar while you're there. You shouldn't use a torque wrench to loosen bolts - you can damage it. Use the breaker bar for that.

Chip H.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
It doesn't sound like you're headed that way just yet, but if you decide you want to change some of the other fluids underneath (VTM-4, Transmission, Transfer Case); one rule to always keep in mind: Be sure you can remove the fill plug (make sure it's not so tight you can't get it off) before you remove the drain plug & let out all of your fluid. Otherwise you're stranded.
Some of those plugs are known to be Big Gorilla tight; especially if they've never been removed.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,860 Posts
Ditto the recommended torque wrenches above... the wrench is most accurate in the middle of the range. So for wheel nuts at 94 lb-ft, the 20-150 lb-ft range is spot on. For spark plugs at 13 lb-ft (156 lb-in), the 25-250 lb-in range is fine.

Personally, I don't worry about using my 20-150 lb-ft to torque drain and fill bolts in the 33-36 lb-ft range (near the bottom end of the range). That should be close enough for gov't work. ;) But I like accurate torques for spark plugs (aluminum heads) and wheel nuts.

Here's a 1/4 inch 40-250 lb-in TW that several of us have for spark plug duty.
Neiko Pro® 03706B 1/4-Inch Drive Adjustable Torque Wrench, 40 to 250-Inch Pound | Chrome Vanadium - Inch Pound Torque Wrench - Amazon.com

I doubt you'll need anything higher than 150 lb-ft for the other normal service items unless you plan to do your own timing belt (crankshaft bolt).

I also use a traditional 20 in 4-way speed wrench to loosen the wheelnuts and to do the initial spin back on after a tire rotation. I then follow that up with my 10-150 lb-ft TW to the required spec.

Regarding the oil filter, be aware that there are two known OEM filters. The preferred one is the -01 mentioned above (made by Filtech). The -02 is made by Fram and is generally panned due to cardboard end caps. So stick with the -01 OEM filter... or other quality filter as mentioned above.

You'll find that the RL is pretty easy to work on for normal routine maintenance. I like to have 4 jackstands and a floor jack so I can lift it enough to do tire rotations and brake work (pad changes and fluid changes). My personal favs are Torin 6t double locking jack stands from Northern Tool/Amazon/Tractor Supply. I like them because I can lift my RL enough to get all wheels off the ground and only use the mid-range of the adjustable lift (around 18-19 inches to the saddle with a lifting range of roughly 15.5 to 23.75 inches). I have some other, lower capacity j/s that while they offer plenty of capacity, they are near the top end of the adjustable lift and don't seem nearly as stable as the higher capacity j/s at half height.

http://www.amazon.com/Torin-T46002A-Double-Locking-Jack/dp/B00026Z3DQ

Comparison of my j/s. Here you can see top of the lifting range vs middle (3t, 4t, and 6t - left to right):

I'm personally a fan of OEM fluids for everything except engine oil and hypoid gear oil for the transfer assembly. I suggest no substitute for tranny fluid, VTM-4 fluid and coolant. Also, the rear diff (VTM-4 fluid) does not like to be contaminated. I suggest you keep a gallon hand pump/tubing dedicated to this fluid. I keep mine stored in double gallon ziplock bags between uses and clean with denatured alcohol.

This will be a great learning experience for your son! Enjoy!

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Second the recommendation for using Honda-brand fluids in critical systems.

Transmission, differential, power steering, coolant.

Others can be any good quality brand that meets the specifications.

Oil, brake, transfer case, windshield washer.

Chip H.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts