Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 model year. Schedule B service completed in 2015. Now have additional 20K miles... Considering my low mileage every year, when should I change belts due to age?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,190 Posts
Schedule B service? Last time you changed oil was 5 years/20k miles ago?

Generally, there's both a letter and a numerical code that pops up when the MM hits 15% remaining. Your maintenance history is not clear based on your post. And what belts are you talking about? The timing belt? The accessory (serpentine) belt?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I change the oil every 5K or 1 year, which ever occurs first. I'm talking about the timing and serpentine belt, pulleys and tensioner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I change the oil every 5K or 1 year, which ever occurs first. I'm talking about the timing and serpentine belt, pulleys and tensioner.
Did mine on 09 Ridgeline at about 90k miles. Do the sepentine belt, idler pulley, tensioner and the water pump all at the same time. It’s cheap insurance since you are in there aleady. Tried to do it myself, but couldn’t get the huge nut off ( used a cheap Harbor Freight 3/4” impact driver ) that goes to the crankshaft (Even with the electric impact wrench and special nut holder tool). Took it to the dealer and mechanic used a 1” impact wrench! Hot and cold climates deteriorate the belt faster. I park in a garage so things don’t age as fast. Belt was still “good“ but cracking upon flexing it in the opposite direction it’s suppose to be flexed in. I‘m mechanically adept, but getting that nut of was a bear. Watched YouTube videos which warned me about it, and they they were right!

·
Super Moderator
23,190 Posts
I just changed the TB on my 2008 RIdge with 120k/12 years on the clock. Normal service, garaged. The old belt looked new on the inside, but you could see the outside part had been around the tensioner pulley a few times.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Dunno what the pic is telling me speedlever, so "looked new on the inside" is helpful. Having never seen a WORN TB is it your judgement that you could have run a lot longer on this one? Also, is your NC location a hot one in the summer?

I change my mind every other day it seems about our 2006 w/100Kmi on it. Thing's been babied for sure, but OTOH most of its life was spent in brutally hot Texas where one summer we had >100 days of 100F temps! Hard on rubber but then I dunno the composition of these belts!

·
Super Moderator
23,190 Posts
Dunno what the pic is telling me speedlever, so "looked new on the inside" is helpful. Having never seen a WORN TB is it your judgement that you could have run a lot longer on this one? Also, is your NC location a hot one in the summer?

I change my mind every other day it seems about our 2006 w/100Kmi on it. Thing's been babied for sure, but OTOH most of its life was spent in brutally hot Texas where one summer we had >100 days of 100F temps! Hard on rubber but then I dunno the composition of these belts!
There's no doubt in my mind but that belt would have lasted much longer (miles and years). However, it was time to change it for my self-imposed 120k change interval.Other than towing one time (a tow dolly with my daughter's Corolla in tow), it's lived a pretty easy life and is garaged (normally). Right now it's been out of the garage since late January when we needed my side of the garage to store household goods while we renovate the first floor. I hope to get my side of the garage back sometime in the next week or two.

Here in central NC we often see mid to upper 90s in the summer with high humidity. It's also not uncommon to see the temps rise into the low 100's.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,019 Posts
For the OP - how many total miles are currently on your truck now? If it's anything over 95-100k, I would suggest changing the timing belt. If your serpentine belt has never been changed, that's something you'll want to do, too. That service would take a tech literally 5 minutes. I had my timing belt changed on my 07 back in 2012 when it had 110k miles. Shortly after that, we moved into our current home and my commute decreased significantly to the point that I put on about 5-6000 miles per year. I'm currently at 176k miles and don't plan on changing the belt again for at least 3-4 more years if I have the truck that long.

·
Registered
274 Posts
There's no doubt in my mind but that belt would have lasted much longer (miles and years). However, it was time to change it for my self-imposed 120k change interval.Other than towing one time (a tow dolly with my daughter's Corolla in tow), it's lived a pretty easy life and is garaged (normally). Right now it's been out of the garage since late January when we needed my side of the garage to store household goods while we renovate the first floor. I hope to get my side of the garage back sometime in the next week or two.

Here in central NC we often see mid to upper 90s in the summer with high humidity. It's also not uncommon to see the temps rise into the low 100's.
Thanks one more if you don't mind: does the Timing Belt experience any more-or-difference stress as the engine itself? I can imagine that as the engine spins faster (RPMs) that there is wear associated with THAT, but does towing or deep snow or water or anything else like that which places drag on the engine actually have anything at all to do with the TB?

:unsure:

I guess it rotates the Water Pump, and of course the valves but...?

·
Super Moderator
23,190 Posts
I suspect one of the reasons the TB change interval is halved in severe service conditions is partly due to higher RPMs from towing. But the other factors are related to high or low temps in normal driving, so apparently ambient conditions do factor into the change equation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts