Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried searching but found no info on Belt tensioner bearing noise?

I thought it was the Power steering pump bearing making the noise but when it growls i didnt feel any vibration from it.

I touched a screwdriver to the tensioner bearing while I hear the growl and I feel decent amount of vibration leading me to believe that's the issue/

Is this a common failure?

How hard is it to replace the tensioner bearing in the wheel?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,602 Posts
I have not heard much in this forum about noise / failure of the serpentine belt's tensioning pulley. I did replace the entire tensioning assembly in my 06 Ridge a while back to eliminate some persistent belt chirp that I was experiencing. If you are going to the trouble of replacing the pulley, I would get the entire OEM tensioning assembly rather than just the pulley. Here's a thread for you . . .http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80257

What is the mileage of your truck and has the timing belt service been done?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Truck has 110k miles.
the upper serpentine Belt tensioner moves a decent amount and while it moves it makes a horrible noise which sounds like bad bearing. Seems to move/make noise a lot more often when the truck is in Drive or reverse.

I tried replacing just the wheel and bearing and that didnt fix it.

How hard is it to just replace the upper serpentine belt tensioner assembly?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E in pewter pacific metallic
2,614 Posts
Mine was making a high pitched "scream" that was above my hearing level. My wife got in to ride with me one Saturday about 6 months ago and said what's that noise?

It went to the local Japanese repair shop for a new tensioner and belt the following Monday.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
...What is the mileage of your truck and has the timing belt service been done?
Truck has 110k miles.
the upper serpentine Belt tensioner moves a decent amount and while it moves it makes a horrible noise which sounds like bad bearing. Seems to move/make noise a lot more often when the truck is in Drive or reverse.

I tried replacing just the wheel and bearing and that didnt fix it.

How hard is it to just replace the upper serpentine belt tensioner assembly?
A key part of Eurban's question was about TB.... have you replaced it yet? If not, then just do this with the TB service.
And no, you shouldn't be getting that kind of movement/noise from your serp tensioner. Not a big deal to replace it IIRC.... and since you've already replaced the pully/bearing, you know it's the tensioner itself.

Tip: If you remove the serp belt & start/run the engine briefly, you'll be able to verify that it's the serp tensioner that's making the "horrible noise".

It's also possible, but not likely, that one of the components being driven (alternator, A/C, etc.) has a bad bearing that's resisting the belt & causing the movement & noise.... as I said, possible, but not likely.

Get that tensioner replaced & you'll probably be good to go. (assuming you're not due for your 105Kmi TB service, in which case you should just get the whole shebang done if you can)

Bear in mind that if you're tight on cash, the serp belt & tensioner are completely separate from, external to, and much easier to access than the TB & related components..... so a 'bridge' service addressing just the serp belt problem would not be out of line.... especially if you're doing it yourself.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the writeup Dnick

I bought the truck with 100k miles and the prior owner said the Timing belt was just changed at 95k but I never got a receipt for the service so I guess I dont know if it was done 100% for sure.
Is there a way to verify the timing belt was in fact changed?

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks for the writeup Dnick

I bought the truck with 100k miles and the prior owner said the Timing belt was just changed at 95k but I never got a receipt for the service so I guess I dont know if it was done 100% for sure.
Is there a way to verify the timing belt was in fact changed?
Only two things you might do:
1) Check with local dealer to see if they have a record of doing this (they can look up by VIN#). You could also check local garages if you're in a small town.
2) Call the seller & ask where he got it done and verify via the performing shop (presuming he did not DIY).

Good Luck trying to verify.... it will be VERY valuable information. FWIW, many RLs have gone WAY past the prescribed TB service interval w/o issue, but I wouldn't recommend ignoring it if you don't have to. It is however a fairly low likelihood that TB will fail .... but keep in mind that consequences are very harsh if it DID fail.

:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts