Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a bit long, but bear with me. I'm driving my second RL now, a 2012, which replaced a 2010, both purchased new. Having had a prior RL gives me a pretty good frame of reference for vehicle performance. I also drive a pretty reproducible route, mostly to and from work, and my gas mileage is pretty constant. Right off the bat with RL #2, I noticed that the gas mileage was about 3 GPM less than the 2010. I expected this would improve with miles and engine hours but it really didn't get too much better. The second issue (and probably related to the lower mileage) was a very pronounced drag when coasting, almost as if the transmission was downshifting too soon.

A few weeks ago, I found the interior lights had been left on all weekend. Everything was dead: tripometer, dash computers, radio and nav codes gone. All dead. After jumping, I noticed that the idle was a bit rough. I thought, "oh yeah, probably lost the ECU data too."

Well, since the dead battery, the drag when coasting has miraculously disappeared. Even better, the mileage is up to around 19.5 MPG which is where it was with the old RL. It seems likely to me that there was some glitch in the ECU from the factory which cleared after the dead battery. I just hope it stays that way. I'd hate to pull the battery every few weeks to keep it running better.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
A forced "idle learn"?

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I was going to say that the ILP was done unknowingly. It should be done anytime you lose battery power for any reason.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts