Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting in the correct category. :smile: I have a 2018 Ridgeline BE and checking on the best length for the Black Widow full-width motorcycle ramp (8ft or 9ft): Black Widow Motorcycle Ramps, 4-Beam Arched - 8' and 9' Long | Discount Ramps

I have a GSXR-1000 and a few other motorcycles/dirt bikes. The GSX-R 1000 has the lowest ground clearance (4.7") and using this for the worst case loading scenario. With a 55.1" wheelbase, I need a 9 foot ramp minimum, according to the site's ramp calculator.

Looking at various G1 owner posts, (bed loading height at tailgate: ~33'') they mostly use the 8ft ramp (actual ramp length is 7' 10-1/2") but the G2 loading bed height is higher at 35-3/4". It looks like the 9 footer would definitely give you the needed length for loading cruisers, not worrying about scraping the bottom, versatility, etc. but like the more compact 8 ft. length to fold and store it in the floor of the 2nd row (interior floor width is ~53-1/2") for security when needed.

If this helps:
Actual ramp lengths:
8 ft:
Open: 7' 10-1/2"
Folded: 48-1/2"

9 ft:
Open: 9'
Folded: 54-1/2"

Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
4,588 Posts
Thoughts....

- Get the 9 and store it at an angle in the rear seat area. You won't be able to put the rear seat down anyway, since it would have to rest in the floor track. Put towels over the ends/edges so you dont scratch the interior of your truck!

- Get the 8 and try it. What happens if your Gixxer scrapes bottom a little? Is it bodywork, or something tougher like a kickstand mount or engine case? Possibly put temporary skid protection under the bike (slick plastic poly sheet or even cardboard), or fashion a small "hill/ramp" out of wood to fasten onto the ramp to raise one end of the bike (while rolling) to make it over the built-in hump on the ramp? Is ground clearance the same if you tilt the bike in one direction or the other? What if you run the bike up the ramp caddy-corner to "flatten" the hump a little? Just throwing out some ideas.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Probably just get the longest one and a little cable lock to lock it in the bed when not in use. I have just your basic dirtbike ramp and I load my FJ-09 in my lifted G1 just fine. Little higher then your bike though.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I used to use a straight 7 foot ramp in my vans but I always backed up against a curb. Bikes were a Triumph Trident and a Laverda cafe racer. I was skinny but young and crazy at the time.

Decades later I picked up two Yamaha XS750s (one at a time) in my S10 using a crowned and hinged 8 foot ramp and a winch with a hand held remote. No curbs or hills around to help but the winch made it so easy. It's one of those portable jobs and I connected it to the corner of the bed. Wires ran outside the truck to the battery. That's what I'd try with the Ridgeline. No more long running starts and Hail-Mary stops on slippery truck beds. I darn near put that Laverda through the van's windshield one night.

Now my bikes tend to come in many small boxes. Some of which I find later have nothing to do with the bike in question.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I know you didn't ask this but...
Is getting a small dedicated motorcycle trailer a problem? I own two trailers a single and a double and can use the lightest one that will work for the task at hand. There's much less drama loading onto a trailer that's significantly lower to the ground that the RL bed.
I know some people don't have storage places for trailers.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
On the GSXR you should be able to pull the chin of the fairing off and gain a lot more clearance.

The real questions is how often are you putting bikes in the back and why. If you do it once a year then it's no big deal to pull the plastic. If you do it weekly it gets to be a pain. If you're going to track days then no problem with leaving the ramps in the bed or beside the truck during the day.

The longer the ramp the easier it is to get the bike up. The more often you do it the easier it becomes. I walk the bikes up on the gas with 2 ramps. One for me and one for the bike. The ramps get hooked to the truck with tie downs so the won't slip off the gate when the bike's weigh hits the bed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@RoadRdr: I agree with you on less loading/towing drama. I actually do have a 5x8 tilt-bed utility trailer that I currently use for bikes but would like the occasional convenience of not keeping up with a trailer depending on the situation (ie. no worries about trailer flats, going someplace where you don't have a place to put it, finding a great bike deal and have your ramps in the truck bed LOL, or helping buddies). Another trailer benefit is putting wear/scratches on your trailer and not your truck. It looks more "official" too :)

I also have a couple of dirt bikes (CRF 100 and KDX 110L) for my kids in which I don't need the trailer when I'm taking them to a spot for them to ride in the local area.
@johnson-rod: I agree with you! I called discountramps.com and they state the average truck bed height range is 30-36" inches so it looks like we're not in the minority.
@Danke: Thanks. I will be using them for the occasional track day (1-2Xs a year at this point lol) or transport to and ride when I visit family (ranges from 3-10 hour drives). The other reason is for the kids' dirt bikes. I do have a 5x8 tilt-bed utility trailer and have never worried about fairings getting caught. I plan on also getting an FZ-10 in the near future.

Thanks for the input everyone. By the way, just loading some pics I've found through my ramp quest journey for your visual pleasure :)

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ longboat I see what you're saying. I'm definitely going with the 9 footer. I'd be ordering it and wouldn't know how the 8 footer works unless I buy it, so I'm going for the longer one. It's better too long than too short! Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
@RoadRdr: I agree with you on less loading/towing drama. I actually do have a 5x8 tilt-bed utility trailer that I currently use for bikes but would like the occasional convenience of not keeping up with a trailer depending on the situation (ie. no worries about trailer flats, going someplace where you don't have a place to put it, finding a great bike deal and have your ramps in the truck bed LOL, or helping buddies). Another trailer benefit is putting wear/scratches on your trailer and not your truck. It looks more "official" too :)

I also have a couple of dirt bikes (CRF 100 and KDX 110L) for my kids in which I don't need the trailer when I'm taking them to a spot for them to ride in the local area.

@johnson-rod: I agree with you! I called discountramps.com and they state the average truck bed height range is 30-36" inches so it looks like we're not in the minority.

@Danke: Thanks. I will be using them for the occasional track day (1-2Xs a year at this point lol) or transport to and ride when I visit family (ranges from 3-10 hour drives). The other reason is for the kids' dirt bikes. I do have a 5x8 tilt-bed utility trailer and have never worried about fairings getting caught. I plan on also getting an FZ-10 in the near future.

Thanks for the input everyone. By the way, just loading some pics I've found through my ramp quest journey for your visual pleasure :)
Those big folding ramps are a long way from that 12' wood plank most of us used to wind up with for loading.

Run at the ramp, knock ramp of gate and ram bike into tailgate. Run at ramp and flip bike off other side. Run at ramp and make it up but hit head on cap and drop bike off side. Run at ramp and make it up but hit back of box and pop the weld. And so on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts