Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know my 2021 Ridgeline has different off-roading settings I can select, but I am wondering what is the best way to get it closest to 4 wheel drive? Id only be going less than 15 miles an hour in situations while ice fishing on a lake or if I got stuck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What little we have driven on snow and ice, paired with Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires, our Ridgeline did just fine leaving it in “normal” mode. Experimenting with other settings did not show us any advantages.
Bill
I added the Jsport lift and also added cooper AT3 tires now too. I’m assuming that will help from the junk factory tires.

the turning off of traction control might also help?

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E Obsidian Blue Pearl
426 Posts
If you get stuck, you might try turning off traction control to allow some wheel spin to get going. Sometimes one slipping tire can cause the brakes to try and quiet the one spinning wheel thus allowing no movement at all. Just a thought.
Best tip so far. I have done this numerous times.

·
Registered
2020 RTL AWD
20 Posts
Yep, it's better than a locking diff. It's mostly locking the rear wheels in sync, but not quite enough to do irreparable damage to the vehicle like a true locking diff will... :ROFLMAO:
The Honda Press Release for the AWD system does a pretty good job of explaining how it works and which modes might best work for @Lharger. It uses electronically controlled hydraulic clutches to independently apply torque to each of the rear wheels. The truck does not have a conventional rear differential.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
You might also want to get tire chains.
We purchased chains as required in Oregon and even with the Firestone tires they have not been needed. We purchased an extra set of wheels to mount snow tires on for when we move to Montana later this year. But after our trip last year on snow, ice and below zero weather with the Wildpeak A/T Trail tires, we are probably going to be selling those extra wheels for they don’t appear to be needed.
Bill

·
Registered
554 Posts
not quite enough to do irreparable damage to the vehicle like a true locking diff will... :ROFLMAO:
Not sure I understand this statement. It certainly is not better. A locking differential dis-allows the wheels to spin at different speeds (on the same axle). This provides much more traction and forward movement offroad than a non locking differential. How is functioning the way it was designed causing it irreparable damage? What make/model vehicle with a locked differential did you own?

·
Premium Member
2019 RTL awd, MSM
6,356 Posts
Not sure I understand this statement. It certainly is not better. A locking differential dis-allows the wheels to spin at different speeds (on the same axle). This provides much more traction and forward movement offroad than a non locking differential. How is functioning the way it was designed causing it irreparable damage? What make/model vehicle with a locked differential did you own?
A true locking differential locks both rear wheels together. People who don't know what they are doing can easily bind up the drivetrain once all wheels have traction and they start to steer a bit. Plenty of stories out there of busted differentials, u-joints, even driveshafts.

Honda gives you most* of the benefits of a locking diff without the risk of drivetrain breakage. The clutches will slip before breakage occurs, and the outer wheels still overdrive when steering.

I don't currently own any vehicles with true locking diffs. I've driven a few over the years, plus a number of tractors with lockable differential. Do you own any?

Now, what percentage of mid-size pickup trucks, in terms of actual registered vehicles, have true locking diffs. What percentage of Ridgelines have "locking" diffs?

* if you're dumb enough to get into conditions where you need that extra 5% traction a true locking diff will give you over the Ridgeline's Sand mode, then you probably need that. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
554 Posts
People who don't know what they are doing..
Sounds like operator error, not the mechanism itself.

Honda gives you most* of the benefits of a locking diff without the risk of drivetrain breakage. The clutches will slip before breakage occurs, and the outer wheels still overdrive when steering.
In sand mode, the AWD torque vectoring is turned off. It still won't outperform a locking rear differential no matter how you spin it. It can give a lot more than just 5% more traction. I've owned several vehicles with locking rear differentials, and the performance offroad is night and day IMO (all other factors aside)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts