Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve read as much of the threads pertaining to the factory and aftermarket tonneau covers available. I had the typical Amazon.com $200-ish tri-fold removable model for my 2014 Nissan Frontier, and it lasted me 4 solid years in brutal desert summers. That truck had a lockable bed, which made securing items a cinch. I rarely folded back the cover unless I needed to haul a tall item, and then I generally had to remove it completely—which really wasn’t too awful of an experience as it tucked nicely in the back seat area.

With the Ridgeline, I’m liking the roll-up tonneau covers because of the in-bed trunk access, and the ability to roll it back to the rear window and leave it there indefinitely. My budget is $300 to get the best model I can, and I’d really appreciate the forum’s help. I’ve had luck with theses standard ‘Amazon’ brands, like thishttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B07MBF261Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_opiRDb5KV7P3D.

For me, ultimately, the tonneau cover offers a covered bed which improves the highway driving experience, keeps the bed clean (prob my #1), and keeps valuables out of view or ‘quick grab/theft’.

Any experiences to share on these vinyl top roll up tonneaus?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone have specific follow up experience with the models available for under $300.

Seems some sub-$200 models on Amazon are troublesome in the install category (non specific instructions, etc...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have zero experience with tonneau covers, but that North Mountain one on Amazon does look pretty good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I ordered the MGPRO which is North Mountain and it arrived within 3 days.
It was well packed. Install instructions are poor but it is pretty easy to install. I had to buy a external star bit set from Harbor Freight as I did not have a #30. That cost $10. The shipped cost of the cover was $186. It took me about 55 minutes to install working slowly. No special tools (other than the #30 star bit which is not supplied and you need it to remove the HR bed bolts and to reinstall them).
Step 1. Remove the 3 #30 star bolts on each side of the bed -total of 6 bolts removed. (will be reused in step 2).
Step 2. Mount the 3 large brackets (all are the same) on each side using the bolts removed in step 1. Snug them but do not tighten.
Step 3. Place the tonneau cover on the shelf behind the rear window making sure it would roll out in correct direction.
Step 4. Fasten (tighten) the 2 side rails to the cross rail in the tonneau cover using a medium phillips screw driver.
Step 5. Place the aluminum track slider pieces in the track with a special note that 2 of them are marked "R" for REAR not right. These 2 go at the back of the bed close to the tailgate one on each side.
Step 6. Use the supplied bolts to fasten each of the 6 sliders to the wall brackets. Use 1 small washer (6 supplied - one for each bolt) then the bolt goes through the slider and then use 2 to 3 larger washers (supplied) as needed. Tighten these down ONLY finger tight now.
Step 7. Once all brackets are bolted together you align the tonneau cover to the bed of the truck. If done correctly there should be an excellent fit. Once you are happy with the alignment then roll back the cover and carefully tighten each of the bolts using the allen wrench supplied and the #30 star bit. I used a metric T-Handle to speed it up but not necessary.

That's it. Fits nicely. A bit hard to close but there are tension adjustment which I have not done yet. I will let it stretch for a bit. Also remember there is a release cord on the tonneau cover above the tailgate handle. Use this to release the locking mechanism.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased the same cover from amazon, the install was super easy especially compared to a similar product on my raptor. Seems to be good quality and fit, for under $200.00 really can't go wrong.

·
Registered
265 Posts
@2007drz @Imolas54 any wind buffeting/highway drum issues?

I was first leaning toward an access roll-up, but they are almost $500, might as.well spend $800 then and get the lomax. This under $200 cover is an appealing option.

·
Registered
4 Posts
what does is it look like at the front of the bed? also with it rolled up. Trying to figure out if this could stay rolled up while a dirtbike is in the bed pushing against the front.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just installed an Access LiteRider roll up tonneau. $325 on eBay. My neighbor came and checked it out and bought one as well. Relatively easy install, looks great, works well, fits great, and yes, I do seem to notice an increase in MPG's. Pretty happy with it for the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
what does is it look like at the front of the bed? also with it rolled up. Trying to figure out if this could stay rolled up while a dirtbike is in the bed pushing against the front.
I see no issues with it as I haul my KTM and it works fine. It sits on the ledge at the front of the bed. Use the 2 straps and it sits tight against the cab. Might want a towel or cushion between the front of the tire and the cover to protect against rubbing especially if you tires are dirty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2007drz, excellent pics and instructions. I purchased this online and delivered it was $200 w tax. Great value. I did the purchase because of your post so thank you. The company who made this should be commended. It’s not completely waterproof but that’s not what I was looking for. The car wash showed me where after I went through it just in case I ever wanted to try and make it less leaky. I just want to keep snow out of bed when I do my cooking gigs in Vermont and beyond. I use the bed trunk quite often and this is easy and quick to fold back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just installed an Access LiteRider roll up tonneau. $325 on eBay. My neighbor came and checked it out and bought one as well. Relatively easy install, looks great, works well, fits great, and yes, I do seem to notice an increase in MPG's. Pretty happy with it for the money.

same here....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just received and installed my North Mountain based on this thread. So far, I am completely happy with the purchase. This is one of the few things I have purchased that I actually think is with more than I paid.

·
Registered
18 Posts
We should start getting our commission checks from North Mountain any day now.... :) I am very picky about quality and value for the $$ I spend. I am very pleased with the NM tonneau cover so far. My motorcycle bed extender even fits under it with no issues.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts