Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read through most of the other thread "Aftermarket tonneau covers: who has them out?" but at 55+ pages already, it makes my head hurt. :surprise:

I am looking to purchase a tonneau for my G2 that spends most it's life inside a garage at home and covered parking garage at work, so it sees very little weather except when being driven. I do not want to spend over $500 and am torn between the Extang Trifeta and the Access covers (Literider, Rollup and Lorado).

I have never had a tonneau cover before so want any opinions you guys have to share about the durability, ease of use, etc. between these two brands.

What are the pros and cons?

Thanks for any suggestions. :nerd:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have no experience with the Access covers, but the Extang Trifecta on my Silverado has lasted me a good 3 years, and I bought it used. I park in the garage at home and outside at work. I go through car washes that blow dry the car and put a lot of force on the cover and it always bounces back and doesn't sag.

I'm happy with the Trifecta, but am going to move to something solid for the G2 just because I want to.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Phineas will probably sell you his Honda OEM tonneau for well under $500. AFAIK, its only major con is that it leaks some. So far, no one has demonstrated any tonneau for the G2 that doesn't leak.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had an Access cover on my Gen1 and it was very good. I'm leaning towards a trifecta if I don't get a solid cover. No rails to worry about and full bed access...good luck.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have had Access covers on both a Titan and a Silverado. They were excellent. Never had a problem at all. Even in Minnesota winters. I just did not want anything with rails this time.l

·
Registered
39 Posts
I picked up my RTL-E last weekend and I had the dealer put the Access cover on it. I live in the same part of the country as Ross so hopefully snow/ice won't be an issue in the winter. Fortunately, I keep the car in the garage at home and have a covered parking spot at work so that should help. I've driven it in the rain a couple of times so far and have only seen a couple small puddles of water in the bed. Yes...it slightly limits access to the trunk, but not so much that it effects its use.

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
I have had Access covers on both a Titan and a Silverado. They were excellent. Never had a problem at all. Even in Minnesota winters. I just did not want anything with rails this time.l
I've been in the business since 1999 and have seen quite a bit of stuff. I can also get pretty much an item for any vehicle, so this isn't biased. I've had the least amount of issues with Truxedo, and Access. Have sold a ton for Titan over the years. Ross, were you on the Titan forum ever? We sponsor that as well.

If you guys need a cover, let me know.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Phineas will probably sell you his Honda OEM tonneau for well under $500. AFAIK, its only major con is that it leaks some. So far, no one has demonstrated any tonneau for the G2 that doesn't leak.
It does leak, but hard to say if much more than other similar options available. At first I thought it leaked excessively, but it has recently performed fairly well in drives through heavy rain. I wouldn't be too concerned with bed contents getting soaked in a storm.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey george248,

I've been going through the exact same exercise and decided to go with the Access Lorado. It arrived this afternoon and I installed it this evening. Can't make any comparisons but I can tell you that it was pretty easy to install and it look slike it will work out well. Access has an install video you should watch.

The trunk opening is fine - in fact I expected more of the light to be blocked. So no problem here. Haven't driven it yet, nor been in the rain.

While chatting with the CSR at autoanything.com, he offered me a 12% discount. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

--MM

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just a quick update: I contacted Jason B and ordered the truxedo lo Pro cover. The price was great, lower than any retailer on line and it shipped the next day and arived a day later, all in all my experience with ordering from Jason B at Burtman Industries was FANTASTIC! Like another member (check the photos section) I sanded off the edges and painted the brackets last night and will be installing the cover tonight. Pics posted soon.

I've been in the business since 1999 and have seen quite a bit of stuff. I can also get pretty much an item for any vehicle, so this isn't biased. I've had the least amount of issues with Truxedo, and Access. Have sold a ton for Titan over the years. Ross, were you on the Titan forum ever? We sponsor that as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So , I installed the cover tonight, unfortunately it was already dark outside and my garage does not have great lighting for pics. However I have a few tips for anyone that may be installing the Truxedo Lo Pro, the fit and finish is superb! however the latch mechanism comes installed on the drivers side rail (where the hinge for the swing gate is) it works way better on the passenger side and is an easy swap (if you do it before you install the rails!) the install should really be done with two people, one to hold the rails and compress the gasket while the other tightens the screws. (I will need to adjust mine) the existing torx screws that you loosen and reuse to install the brackets have a malleable washer that disintegrates while tightening, you will need to get different rubber/plastic washers... thats just my 2 cents worth.

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts

Yes, that's me above. I'm here to help.

Just a quick update: I contacted Jason B and ordered the truxedo lo Pro cover. The price was great, lower than any retailer on line and it shipped the next day and arived a day later, all in all my experience with ordering from Jason B at Burtman Industries was FANTASTIC! Like another member (check the photos section) I sanded off the edges and painted the brackets last night and will be installing the cover tonight. Pics posted soon.
Glad to get you squared away and I'm happy you're happy. Looking forward to some photos! That cover is one of my favorites for the money. If anyone else needs a cover, text or call me at 717-319-2100.

EDIT, Truxedo Lo pro order link added!

http://www.burtmanindustries.com/zoomprod.php?id=ridge_trux_lopro

·
Registered
231 Posts

Yes I was, but it I sold the Titan in 2009 and bought a Wrangler Unlimited. We needed something we could tow behind a motor home. Jeeps work well for that. Do not need that ability anymore. Ridgeline

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just installed one of the first Extang Trifecta covers on my truck this afternoon. Am disappointed with the 'accessory rail' that mounts to both the right and left side of the bed rails. I just assumed it would include the nice brackets that come with the 'Honda Tonneau' that is just actually a re-badged 'Extang Solid Fold 2.0' but was sadly mistaken. The Trifecta comes with black painted extruded aluminum rails that run the whole length of the bed and extend inwards into the bed about 5/8-3/4" and as you can probably imagine interfere with the 'in bed trunk' when opening. The driver-side rail 'skims' the trunk lid and the passenger-side rail makes significant contact with the trunk lid when opening. This afternoon I ran over to the local Honda dealer and measured the 'Honda Tonneau' brackets and they will work perfect for the Trifecta. I tracked down the part number for the brackets that come with the 'Honda Tonneau' and ordered them and should see them Monday, then I'll have what I consider the perfect solution... the solf-shell Trifecta with the Solid Fold 2.0 ('Honda Tonnneau') mounting brackets.

I'll post picks when the retrofit is done.

Reactions: Max57

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just an observation, it appears that all of the accessories rails for the different covers are exactly the same as the rails for all truck brands. You would think that someone would figure out how to make a rail that works with the trunk ... I guess it's just market demand. I really like my cover but wish I could open the trunk fully....

·
Vendor
1,886 Posts
Yes I was, but it I sold the Titan in 2009 and bought a Wrangler Unlimited. We needed something we could tow behind a motor home. Jeeps work well for that. Do not need that ability anymore. Ridgeline
That's cool. Here's a Truxedo LoPro I just did on the 2017 Titan:

And here is the order link for the new Ridgeline LoPro:

Truxedo LoPro at Burtman Industries

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just installed one of the first Extang Trifecta covers on my truck this afternoon. Am disappointed with the 'accessory rail' that mounts to both the right and left side of the bed rails. I just assumed it would include the nice brackets that come with the 'Honda Tonneau' that is just actually a re-badged 'Extang Solid Fold 2.0' but was sadly mistaken. The Trifecta comes with black painted extruded aluminum rails that run the whole length of the bed and extend inwards into the bed about 5/8-3/4" and as you can probably imagine interfere with the 'in bed trunk' when opening. The driver-side rail 'skims' the trunk lid and the passenger-side rail makes significant contact with the trunk lid when opening. This afternoon I ran over to the local Honda dealer and measured the 'Honda Tonneau' brackets and they will work perfect for the Trifecta. I tracked down the part number for the brackets that come with the 'Honda Tonneau' and ordered them and should see them Monday, then I'll have what I consider the perfect solution... the solf-shell Trifecta with the Solid Fold 2.0 ('Honda Tonnneau') mounting brackets.

I'll post picks when the retrofit is done.
I'm planning to get the Trifecta as well. Please post pics of this using the Honda brackets and the part numbers you ordered. Really looking forward to seeing your results.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm seriously confused why Extang chose to go with the rails for the Trifecta. One of the many reasons I bought a Trifecta for my old '11 Frontier was because it did NOT use any type of rails.

I almost waited to get a tonneau until the Trifecta came out. Glad I was impatient and just went with an Access roll up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
That's cool. Here's a Truxedo LoPro I just did on the 2017 Titan:

And here is the order link for the new Ridgeline LoPro:

Truxedo LoPro at Burtman Industries
I have the Truxedo Lo-Pro on my 2008 Canyon. The release for the cover is on the left hand side. Being the Ridgeline tailgate can swing out from the right, can the release lever on the Lo-Pro be switched from the left side to the right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
yes it can, the rails are identical left and right including the cutouts for the release mechanism, there is just one bolt holding it in place. I did it with mine, just make the switch before you install the rails. (ask me how I know!)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts