Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
1,686 Posts
Just about anything these days, aside from the dollar store wax, will do the job. Since there are so many, you'll get so many different answers with such a broad question. good luck

· Registered
55 Posts
I use turtle wax "black box" it works great at hiding scratches and swirls but after a couple good hand washes it needs to be done again. It's a three step process and all three steps have black pigment thus hiding finish imperfections. You will be able to do your rl 6-8 times, I do mine twice a year but I park in a garage most of the time so that probably makes it last a little longer. It probably doesn't offer the best protection but I don't think you can beat the end result for looks.

· Registered
606 Posts
This is by far the best product for a black vehicle:

https://www.chemicalguys.com/Black_Light_Hybrid_Radiant_Finish_16_oz_p/gap_619_16.htm

My buddy who details drives a black 2015 Civic SI and his car was way more shinier than my BRAND new 2017 black Ridgeline that was just waxed the day before!! He swears by it, and I ordered my bottle that day. If you follow up that sealant with this wax:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/Butter_Wet_Wax_16_oz_p/wac_201_16.htm

you'll have a deep shine on your black Ridgeline that is car show worthy. (Note I am not affiliated with Chemical Guys, they just make the best detailing products on the planet)

· Registered
27 Posts
I don't think there's an end-all-be-all wax for black paint. I've used lots of waxes and one I can recommend from experience is the P21S carnauba. You only need a very thin coat and it buffs off really easy with no streaking or dust residue.

Not sure if your RL is brand new or not. If its not brand new, the effectiveness of any wax will depend on the paint condition and potential prep needed. More important than the final coat of wax is how you get there before the wax. If your vehicle has spider-webbing then any of those gentle wipe-on products won't cut the mustard - they may offer a short-term hiding of the issue but to fix the spider-webbing properly it will require paint correction. Depending on the severity you would need to polish with random-orbital or circular machine. Prior to polishing you may also need to clay your vehicle. Only when the paint is perfectly clean and scratch free will you get optimal results from wax.

· Premium Member
7,342 Posts
The real answer is NONE according to the Honda exterior finishes people, but many of them say Turtle Wax Ice is the least dangerous. NEVER put anything on the headlight lenses... that's the #1 cause for lens clouding. PUT NOTHING ON THEM other can clean water and a mild detergent for car washing (not the strong stuff that removes bugs and tar, etc.).

The clear coat is sealed and nothing you put on it will matter in the long run. Just a temporary polish that does nothing to improve the longevity of the paint itself. As a matter of fact it may reduce the life of the paint and other products.

Straight from a top person in the field less than a week ago. His STRONG advice... use NOTHING, but keep it clean. Never use a wax of any kind. A polish like Ice is far superior to any wax.

As for Black... you're screwed no matter what you do. It shows dirt, dings, scratches and is hard on the A/C system. Anything you put on the paint will likely result in swirl marks.

· Administrator
24,840 Posts
Years ago, I used to regularly wash and polish or wax my vehicles. I got lazy and now only wash. I can't tell any difference. It seems regular, GENTLE washing with a good quality wash is the best thing you can do. If anything, a good, long-lasting wax can make the road film and bug juice a slightly easier to remove during a wash. The key is a gentle, frequent wash to avoid damaging the paint in the first place. Once the paint is damaged, all you can do is temporarily cover it up or remove a little clear coat through aggressive polishing. Unfortunately, you can only do that a limited number of times before all the clear coat is gone.

· Registered
71 Posts
I wouldn't use wax. I've been using sealants for years now with great ease and success. Wipe the sealant on all paint, lenses, black trim, and walk away. I can do my whole vehicle in under 10 mins. Lasts longer than wax and no need to buff off and worry about getting wax all over the black plastic trim.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.