Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any thoughts from 2G owners the best way to carry bicyles?

I have factory roof rocks and cross bars, but feel it is too high to get bikes on the roof. I also considered mounting a rack to the bed, but since I plan to get a tonneau cover eventually, this might not be feasible.

I am thinking of a hitch rack from Kuat, like the NV 2.0. Not the cheapest option, but well made and nice features for the money. Anyone have experience with them?

·
Registered
422 Posts
get a set up that places them against your tailgate and then get a folding bed cover. I have the OEM one, and I just pop it all the way off to put my dirt bike in the back. Takes about 3 minutes.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I usually only have one so it goes in the bed with tie downs like ti's a tiny motorcycle.

There was another thread recently with an interesting looking rack but if I was getting one I'd go for either the North Shore Racks, or the Recon Rack Co.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E Black and Low
209 Posts
First decision to make is are you willing to remove front wheel.

Once that is decided you would pick from the remaining options for in bed, in rear seat area, on hitch, how many bikes at one time.

Roof rack always seems to me the worst way to carry a bike and way more so with its front tire on it.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
857 Posts
I've had roof rail mounted bike carriers and now have a hitch mount one. With the Ridgeline, roof mounted ones would be too high to be practical. If I was just going for a day's mountain biking I'd just put it in the bed. If I'm going camping for the week and I've two bikes to transport, hands-down the hitch mount is the best option. There are plenty of good choices for hitch mounts.

·
Premium Member
2021 ridgeline sport (platinum white pearl)
72 Posts
Im waiting for my dealer to locate my 2021 Ridgeline so I can duplicate the set up I had on my 2017 Ridgeline before I traded it for my passport. I had a Peragon tonneu cover which folded out of the way with out removing it from the truck,I put a tailgate pad on the tailgate (that I am so happy I still have).Then I could mount my 4 to 5 mountain bikes standing from outside the truck never having to climb into the bed or taking the front wheels off..Once they where on I would velcro strap all the front wheels together and then I would ratchet strap from the left rear upper tie down to the other and presto those bikes did not move the whole 2 hour drive to the trails.I know alot of people are not fans of the tailgate pad because they say it damages your paint, but I used mine for three seasons and my tailgate was fine.It could also be the brand, mine is a Raceface tailgate pad which has a soft felt lining .Once at the trails I unload the bikes ,slide the pad off ,fold it and lock it in the trunk close and lock the tonneu cover and ride. Another thing is price tailgate pad =about 100 dollars, the trailer hitch bike rack your talking about is about 1,000 dollars.I got one from Hollywood bike racks which holds 4 bikes when I got my Passport and its pretty good and solid I paid about 350 for it, I couldnt pay over 1.000 dollars for a rack and worry that someone could steal it off my truck while I was riding ,but nothing beats having your bikes inside of your truck while you are transporting them.I cant wait to get my new Ridgeline and go riding with my family and friends....this pic is on another thread on this forum but I will show you what my set up looks like and also with my Passport.
Wheel Automotive tail & brake light Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Car Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Car Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Car
Automotive parking light Bicycle Tire Wheel Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
234 Posts
I went with the rocky mounts fork mount.

They make a Ridgeline specific version. Make sure you get the right mount to meed your fork. I went with the “hot rod” version. Less moving parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're looking for a hitch rack, 1Up USA is the best bet. Smaller company, but the racks are solid. I'm on my 2nd (went roof rack for a few years, back to 1Up again).

In the bed, RockyMounts makes a bar that crosses from the upper front tie-down points and takes any track-compatible mounts (including their own; they have 3-4 designs). This is what I'm going to use for now.

If you want something that works with a tonneau, but isn't a hitch, you're pretty limited. VanTech rails might work, search around I think there are a few threads. You can use their rail with Yakima feet to get crossbars that will be 3-4" off the tonneau. Or, you can adapt Yakima/Thule rails, but that's more work - the VanTech rails come with holes in the right places to re-use holes/nuts in the factory bed (though you do have to drill the plastic bed rail cover, I think).

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
166 Posts
I just picked up a new bike for the wife last week. I took off the front wheel and put it in the back seat. It was doable but a tight fit. Also the bike was new and not dirty. Won’t do that again. I have an old Thule two-bike hitch mount from my SUV days. It works great, has some security features, and keeps the bed clear. If I wanted to spend the money on a new one, I’d probably go with the Kuat. Been hearing good things about them.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It seems like the hitch mount is the best option as I won't need to climb up to get bike on roof and it keeps my bed available. It seems if I got a roll-up tonneau cover it would be in the way of a fork mount bike holder at the front of the bed. Decided on the Kuat NV 2.0. Pricey, but looks really well built and will last a long time.

·
Registered
2017 Honda Ridgeline RTL E
12 Posts

I have factory roof rocks and cross bars, but feel it is too high to get bikes on the roof. I also considered mounting a rack to the bed, but since I plan to get a tonneau cover eventually, this might not be feasible.

I am thinking of a hitch rack from Kuat, like the NV 2.0. Not the cheapest option, but well made and nice features for the money. Anyone have experience with them?
$115. very simple solution.

·
Registered
2017 RTL
31 Posts

No experience with Kuat. How about checking on Amazon and shop/compare reviews/buy whichever hitch rack fits your needs? I did a few years ago and bought a 4 bike rack that works fine. It was $125 +/-. I am sure it isn't as good as the spendy ones but it works. Mine has a sticker on it that says Hitchmatch.net if that helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Consider the 1upUSA brand.

·
Registered
11 Posts

We have had a Kuat Sherpa for several years on our ‘17 Ridge. It is well constructed, stable and holds two bikes securely. We did have an issue last summer when the rack and bikes slipped to a 45 degree angle. Found that we must since the rack is broken in make sure that it is firmly locked in place before loading. Since then no issues. They are good with customer care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
1 bike, take the front wheel off and lay it flat in the bed of the truck, covered by the cargo net.
2+ bikes, get a hitch mounted bike rack.

Spend the $500 up front on the 4 bike rack. There's going to be a day when you decide to take a trip and need the bed of the truck for stuff, and you'll be happy your bikes aren't in the way.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 53 Posts