Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Any thoughts from 2G owners the best way to carry bicyles?

I have factory roof rocks and cross bars, but feel it is too high to get bikes on the roof. I also considered mounting a rack to the bed, but since I plan to get a tonneau cover eventually, this might not be feasible.

I am thinking of a hitch rack from Kuat, like the NV 2.0. Not the cheapest option, but well made and nice features for the money. Anyone have experience with them?
Have a Thule 2 bike rack/convertible to 4 bike that works well that clamps on the wheels, not the frame. When I don't want to leave my bike out in the elements, I take the front wheel off and transport in the the back with the seats up. I think Kuat is a great brand and well made, but way to expensive compared to others that essentially do the same thing.

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
The Yakima stuff looks very nice and I have their tailgate wrap thing and it works well for short trips although I wouldn't use it for my Trek ebike. When I was looking for a hitch carrier, the 1UP-USA was on my shortlist. I may get it one day.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I have factory roof rocks and cross bars, but feel it is too high to get bikes on the roof. I also considered mounting a rack to the bed, but since I plan to get a tonneau cover eventually, this might not be feasible.

I am thinking of a hitch rack from Kuat, like the NV 2.0. Not the cheapest option, but well made and nice features for the money. Anyone have experience with them?
See the previous post on carrying motorcycles

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have the Rocky Mounts here (SplitRail LS) with the additional 2 bike add on for a total of 4 bike and I love it. It is a bit heavy in the 4 bike configuration but nothing too excessive. Very easy to tilt the bikes up and down if you use it on a different car (Pilot in my case). I has locks for each bike (but take that with a grain of salt; i.e. deterent not preventative). Make sure you buy it when they go on sale.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have the RockyMounts bar mounted inside the bed. See post 143 here

Reactions: Shaqdiesel

·
Registered
5 Posts
Softtopper with a gate pad. The SoftTopper easily folds up and down. Add a gate pad, and away you go! I also have a Swagman hitch rack in case I need to load the bed up with other gear. BTW, once bikes are loaded into the bed you can pull the softtop back over the bikes for additional coverage. The front wheels are still exposed but the rest of the bike is covered.
Water Tire Wheel Sky Car

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a '21 Black Edition on the way. The Rockymounts bed mount seems to be the best way to go. It supports thru-axle and quick release bikes for reasonable cost. I like the security of having bikes in the bed, but may need to leave the tailgate open for full suspension MTB. Gravel and road bikes should fit with tailgate up.

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL
13 Posts
Howdy! First post. I’ve owned several Hondas, and I am in the process of buying my first ridgeline, a 2019 RTL. That being said, I manage a large bicycle retail store, and have been working in that world for 20+ years so I know a thing or two about bike racks. I’ve been using a Thule T2 since before they released the Pro XT and made mine a “classic.”

You can’t beat the Kuat NV 2.0 or Base 2.0, or the Thule T2 Pro XT for hitch racks for most scenarios. Bikes with fenders are the only case where something else is better. If you need to haul bikes with fenders, 1UP options, or the Saris MTR are the best bet though the Saris is obscenely pricey given that the fit and finish is not up to the same level as the Kuat.

For a less pricey option, the Kuat Transfer is the best value out there combining reasonable price with ease of use, though it doesn’t have the weight capacity to handle ebikes.
Because I haul bikes in the course of my job, my use case is a bit different, but I plan on getting a tailgate pad from Thule, Dakine, or Raceface. I’ll then use my old Thule T2 if I need to carry more than 4/5 bikes, or bikes that won’t cleanly hang over the tailgate. It is also not a stretch in my circle of riding compatriots to carry 6 bikes for 3 or 4 people on a trip... I also like the pad for the ability to carry my own bikes in my vehicle even when hauling the shop’s trailer full of rental bikes.

All this being said, getting your hands on a good hitch rack will be a struggle for the summer of 2021.

·
Registered
52 Posts

Yep, bought that exact rack after much research from REI a couple of years ago and have no regrets. As you said, quality is excellent and ease of use is so quick and secure. The knob tighting feature of rack to hitch yoke works flawless. Zero whobble as if all one piece. Comes with hitch pin lock and integrated bike cable lock. Highly recommend if you can justify 500 bucks for a bike rack.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
59 Posts

I bought the Honda Ridgeline bike rack. Best bike rack ever. Why would you consider anything else??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I went with the Kuat NV 2.0 and built it this weekend. Very solid build and very secure with the hitch tightening knob. I also looked at the Thule T2 XT but it felt cheaper in fit and finish over the Kuat and it wasn’t that much cheaper than the Kuat.

Didn’t want to wait as anything bike related is selling super fast. The shop where I bought had limited supply coming in.

I am carrying carbon road and gravel bikes worth a bit of coin, so the secure fit and high build quality of the Kuat seems worth it over less expensive racks.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
59 Posts
I went with the Kuat NV 2.0 and built it this weekend. Very solid build and very secure with the hitch tightening knob. I also looked at the Thule T2 XT but it felt cheaper in fit and finish over the Kuat and it wasn’t that much cheaper than the Kuat.

Didn’t want to wait as anything bike related is selling super fast. The shop where I bought had limited supply coming in.

I am carrying carbon road and gravel bikes worth a bit of coin, so the secure fit and high build quality of the Kuat seems worth it over less expensive racks.
Everyone has a different need, and if you need a $750 bike rack I say go for it! The Honda rack works for me, and carries the two bikes I have without issue.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Everyone has a different need, and if you need a $750 bike rack I say go for it! The Honda rack works for me, and carries the two bikes I have without issue.

I bought the Honda Ridgeline bike rack. Best bike rack ever. Why would you consider anything else??
I didn't need a $750 rack. I bought the Kuat because it is well built with quality construction, and will last a very long time. I am not sure of this "Honda" rack you speak of or why you feel it is the best.

·
Registered
2019 RTL
857 Posts
One reason would be because you want to use the bed for other purposes. Another would be because you have a tonneau cover.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
59 Posts
I didn't need a $750 rack. I bought the Kuat because it is well built with quality construction, and will last a very long time. I am not sure of this "Honda" rack you speak of or why you feel it is the best.
I may owe an apology, as I cannot find the Honda accsy rack I purchased in 2017, and others I know purchased in 2018 too. Was a genuine Honda accsy, but I do see another
that is identical via amazon. I'm only carrying 2 bikes, and what I liked about this one is if you need to open the tailgate it has a hinge pin and allows the rack to tilt out of the way.
It fits in the factory hitch receiver, ect. As I remember, it was about $150 - which was cheap for a Genuine Honda part. Here is the Amazon link I found. Hope you find something
perfect for your use and bikes!
Amazon.com : IKURAM 2 Bike Rack Bicycle Carrier Racks Hitch Mount Double Foldable Rack for Cars, Trucks, SUV's and minivans with a 2" Hitch Receiver : Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
7 Posts
Generally, when I need something that costs more than I want to spend, I'll try to make it myself if possible. I wanted a bike carrier for the bed which would work with my tonneau cover and also let me close the tailgate, so I looked at lots of ideas (many on this forum) before coming up with my solution. I used a leftover piece of a Haus garage storage system, a fork mount from Amazon and some scrap aluminum to make a 'rack' that works well and (I think) looks pretty good. Here it is installed.

The Haus piece is four feet long and fits nicely between the tie downs. You don't need a whole 'system', just a single piece of the track. The Haus piece is relatively strong plastic and there are other systems (Rubbermaid, Gladiator, etc.) that may work but I can't say for certain. You would have to get a piece of track and try to make it work. This post is simply to put one more bike-carrier idea out there to consider. I've gotten so many great ideas and information from this forum and this could maybe help someone else. Now about making it.

Notice above that the six bolts (two at each end and two holding the fork mount which you don't see) are all located at one of the 'shallow' places in the bed. That way the bolt heads don't get in the way and the entire piece lays flat.

Here is the bottom of one end. I had some scrap aluminum (about 1/8 inch thick) and cut a piece long enough to bolt to the Haus track and also go beyond the holes in the bed for the tie downs. I drilled holes in the aluminum to match the tie down holes.

Here is the end held in place by the tie down bolts. You'll need a Torx T-50 bit for them.

It's a little hard to tell from the picture below but part of the fork mount fits tightly under a 'lip' on the Haus track. After being placed in the center of the track lengthwise, holes were drilled to match the fork mount holes and the mount was bolted in place. I placed mine in the center to carry one bike but holes could be drilled for more than one mount and bike.

I have a roll-up tonneau cover and there's room for my bike to easily fit against it when it's rolled all the way up.

Below is what it looks like for traveling. The ratchet strap keeps the back end from moving around. I thought the bike would be more in the way when looking in the rearview mirror but it really wasn't. On a recent long road trip, the bike was under the cover much of the time but was like this for about 1000 miles and it was never a problem. It takes about two minutes to remove the front wheel, lift the bike in, attach the front fork and strap the back tire. I know it's likely that very few (if any) RL owners will have a piece of Haus track laying around that's not doing anything but you can order a whole system (Sam's Club and Ebay each has them as I write this) and still only spend about $30-40. If you don't want to do that, then look at what you do have (with a creative eye) and try to make it work.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I use a previous version of the Thule Helium on our Subaru and the Ridgeline to carry 2 bikes. It is lightweight, has an internal locking cable, and my wife can use it. We've had it about 4 years and it's rock solid on local or 1,500 mile trips. Another reason I got it is it can be mounted on a 1.5" or 2" receiver, and I used to have a 1.5" receiver on my Honda Fit. Thule Helium Pro 2

·
Registered
15 Posts
I usually only have one so it goes in the bed with tie downs like ti's a tiny motorcycle.

There was another thread recently with an interesting looking rack but if I was getting one I'd go for either the North Shore Racks, or the Recon Rack Co.

Yes have a Sherpa 2.0, excellent rack well made, lightweight, sturdy, highly recommend, great customer service.

21 - 40 of 53 Posts