Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2021 RTL, Metallic Steel, Black Leather, Gray Wheels, Chrome Nerf Bars, Bak Revolver X4s Tonneau
29 Posts
Kuat Sherpa here. Solid and bikes are on and off in 2 minutes, and has a locking cable with an integrated lock. When our son decides to join us, we just put the Yakima tailgate pad on and throw his bike in the bed. The Yakima was $169 and holds either 5 or 6 bikes (medium or large).

·
Registered
353 Posts
Forgive me if I already posted about this…

The easiest way to transport bikes is with a hitch carrier, no questions. The best one out there—and yes I am opinionated—is the Thule Easy Fold. Yes it is really expensive. It is also super sturdy and secure and easy to use. It’s the BMW of hitch bike racks. BTW, it wasn’t my purchase, it was my GF’s—I would never have spent so much on a rack! Though having used it, I can say it is awesome.

OTOH, often we are towing something and can’t use the hitch rack. Therefore I put together a bed mount. The Rocky Mount RL bar is an excellent idea, but unfortunately out of stock for the foreseeable future (is everything in short supply these days??). So I came up with a way to mount it to the O-rings:

Very happy with the result.

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E
166 Posts
I concur. Easiest and best way is hitch mounted. I’m still using a Thule Doubletrack from 10 years ago. Paid for itself by now. Just finished a 2000+ mile trip with it. I may add a swing-away bar to it but that would just alleviate laziness. I used the bed, trunk, and cabin space to the max.

·
Premium Member
2021 ridgeline sport (platinum white pearl)
72 Posts
Just did my third bike ride this season with the family. I have to say that with the RL and a tailgate pad loading the bikes is so much easier, I load and unload from out side never have to jump in the bed and I still have room around and behind the bikes for my large cooler and folding chairs. Only down side I have to remove the bed cover and leave it home.
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL
13 Posts
Just did a 700 mile round trip and used my old Thule T2 to keep the bed free for gear. Took some photos of the back up cam. I think I read someone looking for details?

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline RTL
13 Posts
Also put the tailgate pad to good use. 6 bikes on the tailgate and 11 in the trailer. Of course I took the fully loaded rig home for an early start the next morning and when I got home my wife said there were some sketchy people creeping through the neighborhood that day. We’ve had some cars broken into recently… I got thinking about it and realized there was approximately $20k in bikes on my tailgate, and another $55k in bikes in the trailer. The bikes in the bed ended up in the garage for the night with the trailer backed up against my garage so it couldn’t be opened.

·
Registered
2016 Acura TLX (V6), 2021 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E, 2012 Honda Ridgeline RTL (sold)
32 Posts
For BMX bikes to take my son and his friends to the skate park I’ll flip the bikes over, Handlebars down. Then ratchet strap the outer bikes to the tie downs and bungee cord the rest. 5 minutes and off you go.

I do this with my wife’s bike and my 26” GT pro performer.

Atrains

·
Registered
2017 RTL
38 Posts
I have a $40 two-bike hitch-mounted rack from Harbor Freight that works just fine. It takes about 30 seconds to secure two straps and attach three bungee cords.
How do you like that rack? It always makes me a little nervous to hang bikes from the top tube. A MTB, probably not too much an issue, would probably do that with mine. My road bikes, however, have a really thin top tube. So thin, you can squeeze it and deform it with your fingers for the aluminum frame, tap it and it sounds paper thin on the carbon frame!

·
Administrator
20,139 Posts
The top tube on this bike is oval and appears to be thick aluminum - it's just a low-end MTB from a bike shop.

·
Registered
21 black BE
37 Posts
i never liked having bikes hanging off the back of my vehicles, and I recall seeing someone posted photos of their bikes sitting sideways in the back of the RL, and attached to some unistrut to two bolts in the top of the bed. This is a similar idea, but the bikes are much lower in the bed. I used my old Rocky Mounts from my old Tacoma and some wood I had lying around. It’s attached to 2 of the tie downs using thumb screws and T-nuts. With the swing out tailgate, I can load the bikes without lifting over the tailgate or sides, plus I don’t have to remove my tonneau cover. Only negative is I can’t open the trunk with it in place.
Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Car
Bicycle Tire Wheel Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Plant
Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Crankset Bicycle tire

41 - 53 of 53 Posts