Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all do to clean the engine compartment? A guy use to work at our local oil/lube shop and washed cars on the side. I had him do my Dakota when I wanted to sell it myself or trade it for the Ridge and he did a great job (almost a detail but for $55 it was a super nice). When he finished the engine compartment looked brand new, even my crusty old battery shinned and the hoses looked as though they had been replaced. I should have picked his brain before he quit.

I want to keep my Ridgeline's engine compartment looking as good as I do the outside. There are several threads on exterior washing/wax but none on the engine compartment that I could find. So, are there any tips on how to do this? I hate the thought of taking it to the car wash or using a power spray on the engine but I gather that is how it is done. Then, I think, you use ArmorAll or something like that on all the hoses and stuff. Is this pretty much what you do?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I use the Engine Brite detailing kit found in some auto parts stores. It has the degreaser and the detailer. After washing with the degreaser and drying the engine, spray on the detailer and the engine looks like it just came out of the showroom!

·
Registered
578 Posts
The safest way is to wipe it down with a damp towel.
I do this everytime I wash my cars and it keeps the engine compartment clean. I say safe because other's will spray it down etc. With all the electronics underhood, if you forget to cover something... expensive repair bills.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I think Pep Boys may carry the Engine Brite made by Gunk. I looked it up on the web and it comes in a foam as well - spray it on, let it foam for a while and rinse it off. A damp towel and Simple Green should do the trick too. I think these are better approaches than blasting the engine with a power spray.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
I'd drive over to the self serve car wash booth and spray Engine Brite from a company named "Gunk" and let it soak for a few then rinse it off. Works great!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I spray the entire engine bay down with simple green (dilluted as labeled if the engine isn't too greasy) let it soak in for a few minutes, then rinse. Don't use a high pressure sprayer.

·
Registered
257 Posts
IMHO, the best way to clean your engine ( Been doing it this way for years, dealers and detailers do the same thing)

Go to your local selfserve car wash. You've all seen these things before

Make sure it has " Degreaser and/or HOT High preasure soapy wash"

Just blast it eight ways come Sunday. Then power wash off with clean water.

Now, let it dry. Drive around for a bit, the heat from the motor will kill all the water.

Get a spray can of Tire Dressing or armor-all or whatever, and just spray the hell out of the inside. Just soak it all over. let sit and dry.

in the matter of minutes, your car will look like it came from the dealer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I would strongly recommend NOT doing that. There are a lot of electricals under the hood that are not designed for that kind of water. Wipe it down, it's the safest way to do it. Even if you want to spray it, don't use high pressure... plus you should really cover up the sensitive bits first (you know the f use box, your throttle body, etc etc.

·
Registered
257 Posts
The truck is designed ti withstand water spalshes and under hood interuptions.

Again, I am basing solely off EXPERIENCE, not guesses

My 2 cents

·
Registered
578 Posts
splashes from the BOTTOM of the engine bay. Thus the shields etc. But the top is not designed for large amounts of water.

·
Registered
68 Posts
DWdrums said:
The truck is designed ti withstand water spalshes and under hood interuptions.

Again, I am basing solely off EXPERIENCE, not guesses

My 2 cents
i agree with you dw i have done this also with NO problems .

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi Everyone I was reading the threads about cleaning the engine compartment well I'll tell you a story my oldest son is into cars F-1,Indy,Nascar but has a lot to learn he wanted to do his mother and I a favor an washed our cars an degrease the engine compartment well he used hi preasure hot water an got some water in the weep hole in the base of the distributor an the bearing seized which cost me 100.00

·
Registered
180 Posts
Been using the simple green methods for years on all sorts of cars with zero problems. If you really want to shine, after you hose off the simple green, spray some 303 or armor all over. Close the hood and start engine and let it idle until it gets to operating temp. Open the hood and wala, every hose and plastic piece looks brand new.

Mike

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Better to prevent water/dirt getting in in the first place which is why I put my own layer of thick weather stripping over Honda's which I found inadequate. Did on both my Ridge and Ody and the engine compartment has stayed very clean. When I do clean it, which is about once a year, I'll spray a big dose of silicone spray everywhere and wipe down with a cloth. Silicone is an excellent rubber preservative and won't hurt anything else so I give the whole engine bay a big spray down. Pic is of my Ody but did same for the Ridge:

Attachments

·
Registered
268 Posts
Go with MikeFL's suggestion. We do this for car shows. Spray the engine with "Simple Green". Let soak, then hose off (not power wash). Just rinse the engine. Then, here's the trick. Take a tire spray, Armour All, STP, etc... Spray the whole engine compartment so it looks like it snowed. Here's the best part. Shut the hood, and go off and do something. In a couple of hours, or overnight (as I do), then raise the hood, and stand back. You'll be amazed. The foam will be gone, the hoses will look like new, the metal parts will look clean, and it will look great. The best part being, no labor in doing it. Easy.... :D :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have to agree yes yes and I have to disagree no no.
when i was a mechanic,I made my fair share of money from our detail dept.Those guys would seriously hose down an engine and then spray the shiny stuff all over it.They even left the motor running in hopes it would dry out.I got those cars missing out,check eng. lights on,stalling,not starting. All because underhood electronics got soaked.Sometimes it takes very little water. Moisture from the air can take out a TPS sensor on a Jeep.$175.00
Just be careful when you do the supersoaker.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Moisture from the air can take out a TPS sensor on a Jeep.$175.00
There ya go. It WAS a Jeep. :D :D Had one of those too..:(

Yes, always be careful. That's why I said "not power wash". You don't need pressure if you maintain your vehicle properly. You don't need the spray nozzle either when using Simple Green. I "lightly" rinse the engine, by letting the water "pour" over the engine. I also don't just start the engine afterwards, I wait hours, like overnight. AND..... I NEVER pour water on a HOT engine!!! That will give you problems.

This method has worked great for me for years, and if selling a vehicle, it sells the customer....:cool:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
MikeFL said:
Open the hood and wala, every hose and plastic piece looks brand new.

Mike
wala = voila

French for behold or look there...

I've heard of wala wala onions -- grown in Washington.

edit: nevermind, it's Walla Walla onions - my bad.

As for power washing the engine compartment, I used to do that with all my previous vehicles. Not my Ridge, though. Too many electrical components to have to worry about. Maybe if someone puts up a poll and I see over 50 people admitting to doing it with no problems will I power wash my RL's engine compartment.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I used to spray down the engine bay every 6 months or so with water, towel dry off what I could & then run the engine to dry the compartment.

Kept it very clean and looked like new when I sold it @ 13.5 years old.

Came in handy having a clean engine bay because it was always easy to spot a leak or a potential problem arising - also made my mechanics happy ...

and the new owner was floored when he bought my 92 that looked showroom immaculate

I plan on keeping my RL just as long and just as clean if she allows it

·
Registered
133 Posts
DWdrums said:
IMHO, the best way to clean your engine ( Been doing it this way for years, dealers and detailers do the same thing)

Go to your local selfserve car wash. You've all seen these things before

Make sure it has " Degreaser and/or HOT High preasure soapy wash"

Just blast it eight ways come Sunday. Then power wash off with clean water.

Now, let it dry. Drive around for a bit, the heat from the motor will kill all the water.

Get a spray can of Tire Dressing or armor-all or whatever, and just spray the hell out of the inside. Just soak it all over. let sit and dry.

in the matter of minutes, your car will look like it came from the dealer.
Well, I have lunched one GM and one Toyota alternator doing it JUST this way, but YMMV.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts