Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy a new queen size mattress. The outlet wants $80 to deliver it my home. Do you guys think it's possible to haul it in my RL, therefore saving me the $80 delivery fee? I believe the measurements are 80"x60". I am sure I would have to have the tailgate down in order to do this. Any advice on the best way to do it, or should I not even attempt it?

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,150 Posts
Tailgate down is probably best. Just lay it down in the bed with the edges one the bed sides. The matress will sag in middle some but unless you think the matress particularly fragile I would doubt that this will hurt the matress. Use rope or ratchet straps to keep it from sliding out and or lifting up at high speeds. I just hauled an old queen size innerspring mattress to the dump and it fit easily in the back of my GenI which has a narrower and shorter bed. I of course wasn't worried about damaging the matress but it was no worse for wear when I slid it out into the trash pile.

This is what you own a truck for right?

·
Registered
569 Posts
Old member posted a video

I’ve hauled queen bed/box frame from Costco and I loaded it tilting. one side of bed inside the truck bed and the other side sticking out the truck bed since my peragon rails took some space and couldn’t do it like in the video, I had my tail gate open too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your replies guys. I have Trifecta tonneau cover rails as well so I will probably have to lay it sideways onto one rail. I need to purchase a few tie downs as well beforehand. Thanks and great find with the video.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would lay down two or three 2x4s crossway, then the box spring, then the mattress, and tie into the tie-down points in the bed corners.
I am only getting a mattress. My box springs are still in good shape.

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
I might think about running the ratchet straps around the rear of the mattress instead of just over the sides. Probably not an issue either way, but I would haul plywood with the straps going under, across the back end, then over to the opposite tie-down. IMO, it doesn't hurt to have too many straps, as long as they're thoughtfully placed.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might think about running the ratchet straps around the rear of the mattress instead of just over the sides. Probably not an issue either way, but I would haul plywood with the straps going under, across the back end, then over to the opposite tie-down. IMO, it doesn't hurt to have too many straps, as long as they're thoughtfully placed.
I had considered this too. Nothing like a stray wind to force it to slide right out of the bed.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I transported a queen box spring and mattress in my gen 1 RL with Bakflip cover removed and stored in the back seat. Lay box spring in bed with one side on top of bed rails, add mattress on top. Attach two tie down straps diagonally across end of box spring & mattress (hook one end of strap to top rear tie down cleat on one side of the truck, pull across rear of bedding and attach other end to lower tie down cleat on opposite side of truck. repeat in reverse with other tie down strap.) Third and fourth tie down straps go over the top of the bedding at front and rear. No problems driving 60-miles on highway. I'd use the same method with gen 2 RL.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I transported a queen box spring and mattress in my gen 1 RL with Bakflip cover removed and stored in the back seat. Lay box spring in bed with one side on top of bed rails, add mattress on top. Attach two tie down straps diagonally across end of box spring & mattress (hook one end of strap to top rear tie down cleat on one side of the truck, pull across rear of bedding and attach other end to lower tie down cleat on opposite side of truck. repeat in reverse with other tie down strap.) Third and fourth tie down straps go over the top of the bedding at front and rear. No problems driving 60-miles on highway. I'd use the same method with gen 2 RL.
That is pretty much the way I ended up doing it. Got it home today around noon.
Thanks for all the advice everybody!

Reactions: Sparkland

·
Registered
217 Posts
Holy crap! Now THAT is a load!!! Hauling that would be nerve racking for sure!
With some rope and a good hand at knots you might be surprised what you can haul in the bed of a pickup truck. When I was in school I moved apartments 2 or 3 times with a little S-10 pickup. We hauled every bit of furniture we could pile on top of that thing. Tied it all down tight and away we went.

·
Premium Member
3,901 Posts
With some rope and a good hand at knots you might be surprised what you can haul in the bed of a pickup truck. When I was in school I moved apartments 2 or 3 times with a little S-10 pickup. We hauled every bit of furniture we could pile on top of that thing. Tied it all down tight and away we went.
X2 on learning your knots:

Www.animatedknots.com

I recently picked up a 3'x4' cargo net for the bed:

I was a little reluctant based on some long-ago experiences with tangled cargo nets, but this one works well. Took a load of cardboard boxes to recycle last week, and it was a dream to quickly hook the carabiners over the bed tie-downs and not worry about anything flying out.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I put down my tailgate on my 2014 SE and secured the mattress with a ratcheting tie down diagonally from one inter tie down to another...ZERO issues :)

·
Registered
242 Posts
I need to buy a new queen size mattress. The outlet wants $80 to deliver it my home. Do you guys think it's possible to haul it in my RL, therefore saving me the $80 delivery fee? I believe the measurements are 80"x60". I am sure I would have to have the tailgate down in order to do this. Any advice on the best way to do it, or should I not even attempt it?
I had a late evening job change which was going to require me to load a mirrored wardrobe door on my truck while my truck bed was filled with tools... and I had an epiphany...
I went to my garage, pulled out a 2x4, cut it to length and bolted it to the 2 high tie downs right behind the rear window...
At 6am, I bought a sheet of plywood from the Home Depot I was picking the closet door from, took it to my truck and screwed it to the 2x4 allowing it to sit on and hang over the closed tailgate, then I went back inside and picked up the huge door...
My original plan was to remove it afterward, but it's NOT in the way, and I've used it in the same manner a few more times... It also lets me more securely tie off tall narrow things like water heaters... AND, when passing lumber through the rear window, it keeps the lumber OFF the window frame...
If I had to move my California King Bed, it would go on a sheet of plywood attached to the 2x4...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts