Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of buying a Ridgeline from a local dealer and trying to find info on best way to transport three kayaks that are 12 foot long and weight about 50 lb. each. It's looking like I will not be able to transport these on a roof rack from what I have read here. Can someone please comment on if this is true and will I need to trailer them? Thank you.

·
Registered
869 Posts
There's a picture on here somewhere of 3 kayaks on the roof. They may have had a VanTech Rack System, don't recall. It looked ridiculous though. I Think I'd just get a trailer.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Roof rack, but don't try to run them level on the rack. Set the sterns in the bed and strap the foredecks to the rear bar of the roof rack. Run a line from the bows to the front of the rack or the front bumper as a safety.

KeS

Edit: Or a full bed rack like above - very nice!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have 2, 12 foot kayaks. I just stick them in with the gate up and tie them down. The second one in is turned away from the first one. They do stick up and out at a good angle but I've gone 20-30 miles that way. I have also put a third, smaller one in there too.

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
The Vantech looks like the way to go. I don't know if they sell an "assist pole" to allow one person to get them up there.

Chip H.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have carried two 10 foot kayaks, a 10 foot stand up paddle board and a 6 foot kids kayak in the bed with the tailgate down. I use a gorilla cargo net around the back end of the kayaks to hold them into the bed. I use this for trips of about 15 miles from home.

I also have a bed extender that attaches to the hitch but have found that with the 10 foot kayaks they just about reach the extender so I don't bother for short trips.

On longer trips or trips with my canoe I do use my bed extender and the cargo net

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dont think people carry bikes or kayaks to look good.
Oh YES they do, I would. Check the pic below. I rock these around town. I'll park between 2 ford F350's. If I had that, I could guarantee my wife would have it removed. Just WAY too much testosterone.

Picture below was from a ROC member that helped me out last year. We used the picture for our catalog. It was distributed across US to many upfitting dealers.

Drive it hard man!

I'll probably be banned again for posting that pic with logo..... but it was worth it!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
You'd have length problems with a trailer -- the kayaks couldn't overhang the front because then you'd have difficulty turning. A longer trailer would be harder to maneuver in the typically tight parking lots of the launching area.

Chip H.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I live in kayak central, northwest Washington State. most sea kayaks are 16-18 feet long, and doubles are usually in the 20 foot range. although most carry them up top, all of the tour companies and Parks and Rec use kayak trailers. they work just fine. most of the common launch areas have plenty of room.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Picture below was from a ROC member that helped me out last year. We used the picture for our catalog. It was distributed across US to many upfitting dealers.
Now that is the way to go :act035:

Forget the trailer idea, which is harder to steer, park, back up & store for long periods of non-use!, and would burn more gas!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I carry (2) 12 foot Kayaks in the bed with a 4 foot bed extender..I use ratchet straps to hold them down.. works great..not sure if a 3rd kayak would fit...I may go with a trailer in the future..

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have a 12 foot yak.
Going short distances I just toss it in the back, secure it and put a red flag on the end. The overhang is about 5 feet.
Its legal here. Ck your local laws.

All ya need to know!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts