Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the hardcore pickup guys I talk to say they get better MPG with the tailgate down. Some even remove it and replace it with a net. I don't think the Ridge is made for easy tailgate removal, but I am curious to see if my mpg increases with the tail folded down. Any thoughts ??????

·
Registered
996 Posts
Nope that's a myth, and I know for sure It won't help leaving your gate down on your Ridgeline. That's right from a Honda engineer disccussing their wind tunnel test. Air does not hit the back of the tail gate on your RL, or on most any truck for that matter. ...............and most Hardcore pickup guys are, shall we say .........special or differently abled than the rest of us. :D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
rtpjunior said:
Most of the hardcore pickup guys I talk to say they get better MPG with the tailgate down. Some even remove it and replace it with a net. I don't think the Ridge is made for easy tailgate removal, but I am curious to see if my mpg increases with the tail folded down. Any thoughts ??????
From what I've read, there is no truth to the idea of better MPG with the tail gate down. If this is a big issue for you, consider gettting the bed extender accessory. :cool:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Yep, Ridge & bongus are correct. On most trucks with the tail gate down or removed it will not help or even decrease the mpg. The Honda R&D team paid special attention to this and to the rear window to reduce turbulance in the bed area. The only thing that will help mpg is a tonneu cover. A shell/cap in most cases will either decrease mpg or have little effect depending on it's design.

·
Registered
3,056 Posts
vertrkr said:
The only thing that will help mpg is a tonneu cover.
If the air doesn't hit the tailgate, then why would this help your mileage? Just curious as it doesn't make sense to me. Seems like if you're missing the tailgate, then you're also missing the tonneu.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
swampler said:
If the air doesn't hit the tailgate, then why would this help your mileage? Just curious as it doesn't make sense to me. Seems like if you're missing the tailgate, then you're also missing the tonneu.
I didn't say air doesn't hit the tailgate, that was someone else's quote. However it was accurate enough in simplistic terms to get the message across. I'm no expert on the subject and I've never seen the wind tunnel data but I've taken a few fluid dynamics classes for my degree to understand the basics. Basically the cover will further enhance the slip stream so there's less turbulance and reduce the low pressure zone behind the tailgate.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
do a small test to see if there's wind turbulance in the bed of your truck. Put a pice of paper or new paper in the back end of the truck and see if the paper will lift of the bed or tape a plastic strip on to the bed around the bed of the RL and see how much it flaps around. This small tell will not tell you if your getting a good or bad gas milage, but it will tell you how much wind turbulance flowing through the back end of the RL or inside the bed of the RL.

·
Registered
536 Posts
The reason that putting the tailgate down help gas mileage is because people think that it must be creating drag since it's a big slab of vertical metal.

I think I'll stick with wind tunnel test results myself.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
kanji said:
do a small test to see if there's wind turbulance in the bed of your truck. Put a pice of paper or new paper in the back end of the truck and see if the paper will lift of the bed
I do this every Saturday morning on the way to the dump. I carry a week's worth of recycleable paper in a recycling bin with the lid off at speeds up to 50mph. Haven't lost one yet. In contrast, I used to have to put this bin up against the front endge of the bed in my Ranger or else papers would fly out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't know about fact or myth. My 07 RTL was getting terrible mileage with nothing but city street driving. !3.5 at best with gate up. With gate down, i'm getting 14.3 - 15.4 in the same type of driving. You tell me? I'm planning on getting a tonneau ASAP. I'v heard that the K &N will help some, but others say NO, so I will wait for a while.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
There is some mis info going around here

It gets worse gas mileage with it down, however it gets slighly better with it removed.

that lip on the tailgate is designed to delaminate air flow cleanly from the body, with it down will cause turbulence.

On older trucks with it down was better

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you run around town with the tail gate down, put some red reflective tape on the edge, or your tail gate will get hit like my ranger did....twice!!:mad:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Mythbusters did this test on a small american truck a dakota I think. Tailgate up was second best barely beat by no TG with a net. No net it got worse mileage. The reason the no TG with a net was best is you still have the turbulance in the bed that forces the air up but without the weight of the TG. Im sure Honda has done a better job in the windtunnel than Dodge.

One more VERY IMPORTANT note with TG down you WILL get rock chips on the TG face. Carting my ATV around had produced a bunch of small knicks in the tailgate.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Actually, the ultimate is to have the tailgate down and have the OEM bed extender installed in the back. Slide two 8 foot pieces of 2 inch diameter piping into the upper centre opening of the bed extender and tie them securely to the bars on either side of the centre opening of the bed extender. Plug up the ends of the pipes and tie a red flag to the pipes (both of them). I guarantee that you will gain a minimum of 0.005 miles per gallon with this setup. Remember to have the tie down belts on the bed extender snapped down onto the tailgate or you will get an annoying clanging sound. The same sound that forced one of our former members to take their entire rear seats apart only to find out it was the tie down belts on the bed extender when installed in the front of the bed position and the rear sliding window open and the windows up front open.

It's all about aerodynamics. The unibody design of the Ridgeline is so sophisticated that all previous findings and experiences with conventional trucks have gone out the window.

My findings are the result of hundreds of hours of highway driving with carefully placed pressure sensors around the Ridgeline. These sensors were hooked up to a laptop and using software that I personally developed, I get results that are as accurate as those derived from wind tunnels at testing facilities. I have applied for patents in both the US of A and Canada for my software and setup. I will keep you posted with other findings.

I am also working on a device that will pre-atomize fuel to improve gas mileage by 45%. I have perfected it, but have been forced to stop because the oil companies have slapped a lawsuit on me. Before that, the oil companies got the government of Canada to stop my efforts by claiming that my experiments were too much of a danger for the facilities I was working out of.

Edit: forgot to mention that the two pieces of pipe must be kept parallel with each other at all times. If they are out by even two centimeters, the setup does not work.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
LOL!!!!!!!! :) :) :) :)

Are you looking for a beta tester for your atomizer? I know my Ridgeline should get 16/21 but I think it should get 19/26 because it's a Honda. Can you send me one when they're ready? I'll pay shipping.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Actually, the ultimate is to have the tailgate down and have the OEM bed extender installed in the back. Slide two 8 foot pieces of 2 inch diameter piping into the upper centre opening of the bed extender and tie them securely to the bars on either side of the centre opening of the bed extender. Plug up the ends of the pipes and tie a red flag to the pipes (both of them). I guarantee that you will gain a minimum of 0.005 miles per gallon with this setup. Remember to have the tie down belts on the bed extender snapped down onto the tailgate or you will get an annoying clanging sound. The same sound that forced one of our former members to take their entire rear seats apart only to find out it was the tie down belts on the bed extender when installed in the front of the bed position and the rear sliding window open and the windows up front open.

It's all about aerodynamics. The unibody design of the Ridgeline is so sophisticated that all previous findings and experiences with conventional trucks have gone out the window.

My findings are the result of hundreds of hours of highway driving with carefully placed pressure sensors around the Ridgeline. These sensors were hooked up to a laptop and using software that I personally developed, I get results that are as accurate as those derived from wind tunnels at testing facilities. I have applied for patents in both the US of A and Canada for my software and setup. I will keep you posted with other findings.

I am also working on a device that will pre-atomize fuel to improve gas mileage by 45%. I have perfected it, but have been forced to stop because the oil companies have slapped a lawsuit on me. Before that, the oil companies got the government of Canada to stop my efforts by claiming that my experiments were too much of a danger for the facilities I was working out of.

Edit: forgot to mention that the two pieces of pipe must be kept parallel with each other at all times. If they are out by even two centimeters, the setup does not work.
Your analysis is right on! I appreciate your dedication and sacrifice to this forum and to mankind as a whole. I hope you are able to make some money from your patents to further research. This is just the tip of the iceberg! Are you open to accept private investments?:D

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
http://www.newmediaexplorer.org/sepp/2003/06/07/original_blueprints_for_200_mpg_carburetor_found_in_england.htm

Mine is ready to go and can be retrofitted into a majority of vehicles. Only problem is the bypassing of the ECU, which causes all kinds of problems. Definitely won't pass California emissions standards. However, if it means less consumption of fuel, a 2 to 5% increase in emissions is acceptable, right? More research means more dollars. Please send money.

HA! I never heard of this story so I looked around on the internet...funny stuff.

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/fish3.htm

http://www.snopes.com/autos/business/carburetor.asp

1 - 20 of 36 Posts