Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Better Tonneau Cover Wanted! FOUND??

I am searching for a better Tonneau cover than the OEM Honda Tonneau. The Honda unit requires major surgery to the bed to install, is not removeable, and causes the loss of use of the bed for anything that will not fit under it. The front half of the bed becomes a cavern that will be very difficult to access. Come on Honda, look at the quality aftermarket products and engineer one that is usefull. I understand that the Ridgeline is a very new model and the bed is very different than a standard pickup truck bed. A clamp-on side rail may not be possible. The rails will need to go inside the bed and be screwed in place. The bed trunk lid may have a clearance problem for the side rails. Water seals and drains will need to be different than on a "standard" bed design. All that aside, I still think that it is possible to design a better product than Honda has. The OEM Honda installation manual is freightning. If you are happy with the limitations of the OEM unit, I am sure that it is solid and durable. There simply must be a better design. If anyone knows of a retractable unit I certainly would like to know about it. I searched Google for Tonneau and looked many sites without success.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Re: Better Tonneau Cover Wanted - FOUND??

Hold on! I just heard back from the owner of BAK Industries (www.bakliner.com). He checked out a Ridgeline and he has a plan for a revised design of an existing product that they manufacture. It is a retractable / roll-up unit that they have been successfully selling for other trucks. Just what I am looking for! He expects to have one available in a little as two weeks! I was very impressed with everything that I see on their web site and with the interest and follow-up on my inquiry. He mentioned that it will be mounted to the inside walls of the bed and will follow the lines of the top rails. That will make it slope toward the rear which will allow water to run off the back and out of the tailgate. The rails themselves will allow water that gets over the edges to run out the rear as well. For those of us that live North of the Mason-Dixon line, freeze-up may occasionally be an issue. No different than on other similar products but with the slope of his proposed design it may be less of an issue on the Ridgeline than on other trucks. I think that I would still prefer a horizontal installation for appearance reasons but it may not be possible if you want to keep the water out. I will wait somewhat patiently to see the final design. Please don't take any of this as fact yet. This is all just based on a telephone conversation about a prototype that has not been built yet. I am very anxious to see the final product. I just may be the first customer! I will post anything else that I find out.

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
I just finished watching the installation video. Looks fairly simple to install. Definitely keep us posted. I really like the retractable design.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Ultra-Hog,

While I like the roll up cover design, I had a chance to see one a couple of weeks ago, I question how it could much easier to install or remove on the Ridgeline. You state he is planning to have it follow the lines of the top rails so it slopes to the gate. Well that sounds great, but if you look at the pictures of the Honda cover you will see it comes to the bottom of the rear window, this design sounds like it will have to go above the window. Also won't the bed liners still need to be removed and cut to install it :confused:
On the FAQ page it mentions this must be done for some trucks with bed liners, so no ease there.

I like the idea, and I do hope he can pull it off, if he posts some picture of progress, perhaps I would hold off and wait, but at least I know with the Honda cover I can get it now.

Also I see if does not have an Avalanche cover, which has many of teh same problem as ridgeline for install, and its been out for a while.

Ultra-HOG said:
Hold on! I just heard back from the owner of BAK Industries (www.bakliner.com). He checked out a Ridgeline and he has a plan for a revised design of an existing product that they manufacture. It is a retractable / roll-up unit that they have been successfully selling for other trucks. Just what I am looking for! He expects to have one available in a little as two weeks! I was very impressed with everything that I see on their web site and with the interest and follow-up on my inquiry. He mentioned that it will be mounted to the inside walls of the bed and will follow the lines of the top rails. That will make it slope toward the rear which will allow water to run off the back and out of the tailgate. The rails themselves will allow water that gets over the edges to run out the rear as well. For those of us that live North of the Mason-Dixon line, freeze-up may occasionally be an issue. No different than on other similar products but with the slope of his proposed design it may be less of an issue on the Ridgeline than on other trucks. I think that I would still prefer a horizontal installation for appearance reasons but it may not be possible if you want to keep the water out. I will wait somewhat patiently to see the final design. Please don't take any of this as fact yet. This is all just based on a telephone conversation about a prototype that has not been built yet. I am very anxious to see the final product. I just may be the first customer! I will post anything else that I find out.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Ultra-HOG said:
Thanks for letting us know about that! The OEM one looks cool, but definitley lacks in user-friendliness. When I asked my dealer how much it was, he called the parts department and I heard this: "Oh really, well you can tell Honda that we will NEVER order one of those!" At a dealer cost of nearly $1,200 PRE-install, you can be sure that it will not be one of their best selling items. Please keep us posted as to when you see a release of the aftermarket tonneau covers!
Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've been talking to Cheri at Agri-Cover today about the Access Cover for the Ridgeline. She says that it will be available next week and that the MSRP is $489. I posted a picture in another thread here, so I won't post it again but it you want to see it it shouldn't be too hard to find.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am a dealer for Advantage Torza Tonneau Covers.
Advantage has made many improvements to their Honda Ridgeline Torza Tonneau. I would like to provide you with some updated information.

I read where some owners had issues installing their rail because of holes not lining up, this has been addressed. The rail has a new improved end cap with re-positioned holes in rail for easy installation of rail. The rail is now mat black finished to match inside of Ridgeline bed. The rails have also been relieved more to allow trunk door to open further. Rail is padded in this area to keep door from getting scratched when opened.

Advantage has added safety teathers, and a new clip type fastner on bulkhead, used when cover is in open position.

There are "4" different Torza Tonneau's to fit Honda Ridgeline.
All "4" versions are tri-fold, all hardware included, install in 20 minutes or less, NO drilling required, and are water tight.

All pieces, parts and components are guarenteed for life, the material is guarenteed for 7 years.

Torza Top - Traditional Vinyl -
$399.00 Delivered
Torza Premier - Convertible Top Material
$499.00 Delivered
Hard Hat - Traditional Vinyl Cover with a HARD underlayment
$749.00 Delivered
Hard Hat Premier - Convertible Top Material with a HARD underlayment
$859.00 Delivered

Please email or call me to purchase or for additional information
[email protected]

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well I think it's great that ROC got a new sponsor, but your prices would have to come down significantly to be a service to owners here.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Ultra-HOG said:

Do you want to sell me your old one?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Torza hard hat. It took less than a half hour to install. It is a tri-fold hard cover with a soft vinyl covering. You do no see the folds in the cover and it gives the appearence of a one piece cover. It is the best looking cover on the market for the Ridgeline and one of the least expensive hard covers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Better Tonneau Cover Wanted! FOUND??

I am searching for a better Tonneau cover than the OEM Honda Tonneau. The Honda unit requires major surgery to the bed to install, is not removeable, and causes the loss of use of the bed for anything that will not fit under it. The front half of the bed becomes a cavern that will be very difficult to access. Come on Honda, look at the quality aftermarket products and engineer one that is usefull. I understand that the Ridgeline is a very new model and the bed is very different than a standard pickup truck bed. A clamp-on side rail may not be possible. The rails will need to go inside the bed and be screwed in place. The bed trunk lid may have a clearance problem for the side rails. Water seals and drains will need to be different than on a "standard" bed design. All that aside, I still think that it is possible to design a better product than Honda has. The OEM Honda installation manual is freightning. If you are happy with the limitations of the OEM unit, I am sure that it is solid and durable. There simply must be a better design. If anyone knows of a retractable unit I certainly would like to know about it. I searched Google for Tonneau and looked many sites without success.

I agree that the Honda cover has some limitations, but it is very durable. No cover is completely waterproof that I know of. The biggest negative that I have is the price. I live in Canada and everything here is way more than in the US even though the dollar now is about the same. I paid $2000 for the Honda cover installed. It is easy to remove. There are only four bolts holding it on. I have taken it off by myself but it is probably better to have two people doing it. It is strong enough to stack light loads on top. The only problem is that there are no anchor hooks on the back. I had roll up tops on other trucks and although they were more covenient to open and close they all vibrated at highway speeds. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
54 Posts
That's a vinyl top. but velcro can be scary.. once it gets dirt / etc . seal might not be as pleasent as brand new to deal with or hold tight .. I'll stick with my quik on/quik off torza.
Mine doesn't flap at highway speeds. (80) and I get a drop or two though the car wash.. alot more worse then rain and wind will give me, and I wash this thing twice a week.
one person on / off, installed in 20 minutes (one coffee, two smokes included) looks nice, who wants to load stuff on top of something that wasn't cheap to begin with.. and you can take off and stow in the back seat or bed if you need all the room and height to boot. (not to mention, it leaves ya a few bucks for other things) and if someone wants to break into the rear to steal something, it can be patched easy'r then being re fiberglassed, and painted along with the tail gate where they tried to pry it open..

How many millions of chevy's ford and toy's are made each year and sold.. how many ridgelines? if you have something with a smaller production numbers, you make less.. there fore you have less to spread your cost acrossed, or its not profitable enought to even pursue..

·
Registered
6 Posts

I purchased one from www.teakatoys.com [910.297.1234] (about $450} it was made by truxedo. It installed very easy, it rolls up, is adjustable, held by velcro and has been waterproof so far. I have been very happy with it, However the trunk does not open fully but far enough for me (I can put golf bags in and out with no problem].
I put it on my 2007 RTL Ridgeline which I love.

[

Attachments

·
Registered
82 Posts

We have the honda cover on our 2006, if we have to take the cover off its 5 min to take off four brackets. Also like the fact that it folds over once and because the covers max is 250lbs, its great for suntaining you can sit or ly down on it. Cant handle those trucks with the canapy, and it only goes up to a certain angle. Not practical at all, however the honda cover was a little pricy, but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I would go for a $360 plus tax, Trifecta by Extang! Served me well on my Ford Ranger and will do the same for my 07 Ridge also!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would go for a $360 plus tax, Trifecta by Extang! Served me well on my Ford Ranger and will do the same for my 07 Ridge also!
Are you sure you can get that price for the Ridgeline? If so, that's excellent!
I paid $440 for the Signature Series, and that was discounted $25.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts