Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
When I was working at a Honda dealer we only used the fuel product's. We strickly used only Honda tranny fluid. No additives for anything else. Every time a customer came in with a shifting problem after they changed the fluid we'd ask if they added anything or used another aftermarket fluid. If they said yes then we would do a three change fluid flush then refill and drive. 99% of the time that would fix it. Not sure why the addition if another fluid would change the way the tranny would shift but it did.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,874 Posts
Welcome ROC. Use the search function and you will find threads upon threads about what you asked.
Basic answer is: no additives in the ATF. No additives anywhere actually. Many members, including myself, are pushing close to 250K and some beyond, just using genuine Honda fluids and following proper maintenance schedule. Engine oil is the only one you can go crazy with, everything else, fluid wise, stick with OEM.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like many of the BG fuel products. I had a negative experience with the ATC+ in my old Sequoia. I still use BG fuel and some oils/gear lube. I think the Ridge comes stock with the tranny cooler, the Pilots don't. I just posted this over on Piloteers. My factory DW-1 ATF is very dark / burnt with only 20,000 miles on it. Tranny cooler and fluid change link over there also with some other fluids looking fr a synthetic version.

I'm sticking with the DW-1 for now, at least while under warranty. Tranny cooler should help. I might just order a case of DW-1 from Amazon and do a D&F every other oil change. It has a burnt look and odor and I would not say it was abused. Between ROC / Piloteers / BITOG and then all the DriveAccord and others you could read forever on who likes or hates DW-1 and why.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
We have 2007 G1 Ridgeline always Honda dealer serviced for the past 13 yrs.
The truck has about a little over 222,000 miles now mot seeing high mileage it once did.
The dealer uses the BG products and the last transmission service they again put in the BG products ATC.
The also use the BG MOA on oil changes.
My 2000 Acura TL would get the BG services at the Acura dealership dating back almost 20 yrs ago.
They have put the BG products ATC in also use to have it serviced at Pat Goss from MotorWeek TV shop in Maryland.
Pat was a BG spokesman and the Acura needs services because now it gets driven very short distance.
The independent shop I'm taking it to also uses BG products.
The guy that owns it was a tech for the Honda dealership when I got my first Honda Prelude back in 1980.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
Also the Dodge dealership where we purchased my sister 1993 Caravan was using BG products way back then. They also had several other dealerships under same name including Mercedes Benz. The Benz dealership was using BG products in their service.
When I purchased my 2000 Acura TL.
The dealership had a printed service maintainance handbook for services at intervals and mileage. At certain intervals would say BG products would be used like the fuel treatment 44K or the ATC when transmission service. The same Honda dealership from 1980 was not stating they were using BG products doing services. However I would buy a can of 44K from Honda Service. So something changed for them to start saying they were using the specific BG products at service intervals like my Acura dealership has done years ago.

·
Administrator
15,159 Posts
Dealerships are independently owned franchises - they can use whatever products they want and make their own maintenance schedules to benefit their profit margins. As far as what the manufacturer of your Honda who warrants it has to say about additives:

1594663419964.png
1594663727498.png
1594663801996.png

·
Registered
2019 Sport Lunar Silver
162 Posts
When I was working at a Honda dealer we only used the fuel product's. We strickly used only Honda tranny fluid. No additives for anything else. Every time a customer came in with a shifting problem after they changed the fluid we'd ask if they added anything or used another aftermarket fluid. If they said yes then we would do a three change fluid flush then refill and drive. 99% of the time that would fix it. Not sure why the addition if another fluid would change the way the tranny would shift but it did.

Same here. We only used their injector/top end cleaner, fogged in with the provided tool. Also good results with the 44K. We never added anything to trans or engine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Same here. We only used their injector/top end cleaner, fogged in with the provided tool. Also good results with the 44K. We never added anything to trans or engine.
Yes the fuel products worked Very well.

I did use their 2 cycle products in an old 75 horse Suzuki outboard. It definitely seemed to wake that motor up a bit.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Here is a response from Mobil1 technical staff I inquired about their Mobil1 ATF fluid.

Michael,
Thank you for writing to us. If you'd asked a year ago, I would not have had a fluid to recommend. As of May 2020, we can recommend Mobil Multi-Vehicle ATF for the Z1 and DW-1 Honda specs.

Mobil™ Multi-Vehicle ATF | Mobil™ Motor Oils

This is what we classify as a "suitable for use" situation, based on our own product testing rather than any sort of approval by Honda. If the vehicle is still under OEM warranty, you might want to get dealer approval first.

Thank you for choosing Mobil,
Jim
Mobil Help Desk Team Lead

If I can help further with this inquiry or with any other questions, please respond to this email or phone us 1-800-ASK-Mobil

If you would like to provide feedback on your experience with us today, please email [email protected]
On Fri, 10 Jul at 6:59 PM , M.logan33 <[email protected]> wrote:
Form Data
First Name: Michael
Last Name: Logan
Company:
Email address: [email protected]
Phone Number: 6154598060
Question: I have 2 quarts of Mobil1 Synthetic ATF and can it be used in Hondas that require ATF-Z1 or DW-1? The local Auto Zone does not sell the Mobil1 Synthetic that I have any more.
MLogan
2018 RTL
Smyrna, TN

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
This is Sport Honda service in Silver Spring Maryland.
They have two separate service location. This is because of location to Washington DC
The east/location is just two blocks from DC line and was the old original
Honda location from t 1970s before they moved and purchased by Sport in 90s. The Auto park location has the dealership. This is the one that caught on fire last year. They have a separate Chevrolet Dealership in the same auto park.
This is for Honda service as you can see they are using BG Products in different services. This is similar to what my Acura dealership was doing back in the late 90s when I purchased my 2000 TL.
www.sporthonda.com/rec-maint.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts