Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't know if anyone uses Android Auto on their phone (i.e. phone screen, not in-dash Android Auto) but Google is killing off the phone app version soon. Android Auto will only work going forward if you have it integrated into your vehicle.
The functionality of the former phone version of Android Auto will live on in Google Assistant drive mode (voice commands mostly).

This kind of makes sense with all the states beginning to pass laws that make it illegal to hold or sometimes even look at a phone while driving.

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
Don't know if anyone uses Android Auto on their phone (i.e. phone screen, not in-dash Android Auto) but Google is killing off the phone app version soon. Android Auto will only work going forward if you have it integrated into your vehicle.
The functionality of the former phone version of Android Auto will live on in Google Assistant drive mode (voice commands mostly).

This kind of makes sense with all the states beginning to pass laws that make it illegal to hold or sometimes even look at a phone while driving.
Does this mean that the newest version will or will not work on the G2 Ridgeline?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this mean that the newest version will or will not work on the G2 Ridgeline?
As far as I know, Android Auto should still work with the G2. The in-dash portion is still supported, just not the phone screen version. The updates they are talking about will rearrange some of the UI though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Android Update. Nothing is working. No matter how many times I plug in the phone, reset it, restart the car, nothing is working with Android Auto. Bluetooth still works for calls.

When I plug in the phone it says, "unknown device."

I've removed the truck and phone from each side of the connection, it won't auto discover and restart the connection process.

It's a disappointing mess. Completely broken.

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
That's ^^^^ almost enough to make one go back to the dark side of Apple. We''ll soon see if their new and improved Carplay works on the RL.

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
There is no escaping the data collectors if you are connected to the internet in any way. Scary.
It's a little scarier that Apple is very secretive about the info it collects.

Back on-topic... if it were me, i would force-stop the app, uninstall it, reboot the phone, then reinstall the app.

·
Super Moderator
4,660 Posts
It's a little scarier that Apple is very secretive about the info it collects.

Back on-topic... if it were me, i would force-stop the app, uninstall it, reboot the phone, then reinstall the app.
My Pixel 3 has not received the AA update as of yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the Android Update. Nothing is working. No matter how many times I plug in the phone, reset it, restart the car, nothing is working with Android Auto. Bluetooth still works for calls.

When I plug in the phone it says, "unknown device."

I've removed the truck and phone from each side of the connection, it won't auto discover and restart the connection process.

It's a disappointing mess. Completely broken.
UPDATE!
I'm baffled. The day after I posted this, everything started working. It's now been a week or two, and it's worked very well. I plug in the phone, start the car, and it's been more stable than ever. I didn't change anything from the day before.

Some good: It looks better than it did before.
It's more stable than it was.
It's more responsive/faster than it was before.

That said, while it is much more stable than before, it's still flaky for something that cost an extra $2,500. But, keep working on it, it is getting better.

About a third or half the time the voice prompts don't work. It just hangs without listening.

So I give it a "much improved, but still buggy."

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having a JVC touchscreen head unit installed in my Ridgeline right now and I got it because of the Android Auto. I have 2 phones, sales job, and the unit I got is supposed to take both phone books but I think maybe only one will sync up for the Android Auto stuff. I'm not sure. Man, I hope it works! But really I need bluetooth more than anything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
6 Participants
GDGiles2013Sport
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing