Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I told my wife I would ask. Is there anyway to a smaller key or a folding key like she has with her Mercedes?

·
Registered
323 Posts
I wish there was something smaller also. As soon as I get to work it gets dumped in a drawer.
Is that a key in your pocket or are you just happy to see me? :eek:

·
Registered
59 Posts
VW has cool folding keys as well.

For Honda though I think ours are pretty cool. I love the H logo on the back,its very well done.

I only have 3 keys. Apartment, mailbox and RidgeLine.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just don't put the key on those spring loaded self return key rings with the cord. You know the one the janitors use to carry about 1000 keys. If it slips from your hands that thing has some force behind it and oh boy, for us males, it can cause.... well, birth control not by choice.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm one of the VW owners with the fold over key. It sure is nice and I think the Honda key SUCKS.

A lady who carries a very large hand bag must have designed this thing - come to think of it, maybe my wife has been moonlighting. She can never find her keys in her purse. Hmmmm Could be on to something here :p

Sure wish the key was a LOT smaller!

·
Registered
15 Posts
yup...my other car is a passat (problems...don't ask :) ) and I am used to the folding key. Actually...I am more afraid that as I walk out of the RL I would someday scratch it with the big key. (no laughing please). Actually..even my previous truck, a tacoma, had a slender'er key (of course, it didn't have any lectronics in it. the key does suck though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would much rather have the bigger key than to have a key and remote seperate to clutter the keyring even more. Have you ever priced one of the "stilletto" keys from VW, German engineering is way too expensive.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I love my keys.
It's really not that hard to carry. I don't keep my car keys on the same key chain as the rest of my keys. Makes them easy to carry that way.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
shingles said:
I love my keys.
It's really not that hard to carry. I don't keep my car keys on the same key chain as the rest of my keys. Makes them easy to carry that way.
I am the same way, my car keys and my other keys are separate. Mostly because that way I only need one of each key. With 2 cars it is a pain to have to have two house keys and two of everything else. Try getting the speedpass people to let you have additional dongles. The only problem with this model is the day you walk out of the house with two car keys and no house key (OOPS!!!) and yes I have done it, and yes it was expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have one of those 3-part-key chains that make it very convenient. For example, once I have started my vehicle...and then forget that I haven't locked the house I can simply separate the house keys from the ignition key. However...I would still have loved the spring loaded key on the RL. Its just one of t hose 'finishin' touches. FYI: for those that don't know the VW key has the spring loaded key AND_AND the remote in one small package. ALSO, FYI: the RL key is VERY expensive to replace since they are keyed/matched (no pun) to the RL in question. (I just mention that because someone mentione that the VW key was expensive to replace). one more FYI: the spring loaded key does not seems flimsy at all.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I hate the huge key too... so much, in fact, that I don't use it.

I installed an aftermarket alarm and had some valet style keys cut with the master key pattern, so now I have small keys for my Ridgeline, even if they are gray instead of black. Confused the poor guys at the dealership and had to pay $85 for the programming of the new keys, but I no longer suffer from pocket bulge.

What makes matters worse is that I have the Honda tonneau cover, which has its own key, and the tow package, which has yet another key for the receiver lock. Enough already!

·
Registered
67 Posts
One of these days, I'm gonna scratch the paint, the key sucks. I had a liberty and I like the two piece setup. One for the key, the other for the button.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Redridge said:
One of these days, I'm gonna scratch the paint, the key sucks. I had a liberty and I like the two piece setup. One for the key, the other for the button.
Okay I have to know, why would you have your key near the paint of your car? You have remote locks. The only reason I can see for the key is to roll up the windows from outside, and that is just if I am playing, otherwise I am usually getting in the car to drive away. This is certainly not what I would think is a frequent activity.

·
Registered
15 Posts
how about as you are leaving your car...with keys in hand...or as you are helping your 2 year old out of her car seat.....or carrying groceries, etc, etc.... it is not as if we walk near the car flailing our hands with keys in each hand. It is just that it is a car and these are car keys and they are bound to be near each other and the fact that the key is almost double the length of a normal key doesn't make it easier. But really..it is a knock on honda for not designing a better key/remote/fob to fit the auto. Furthermore...I usually like to hide a key in a magnetic case under the car carriage...well this key is "unusual" so it doesn't fit in the standard plastic/magnet cases you can find at target, kragen, etc.

·
Registered
67 Posts
my scenerio, going home from work, keys in left hand, work bag in right hand, left hand opens back door (big key sticking out, might scratch door handle etc.) Going to work, same thing. Its a real pain for me to throw the keys in the pocket to open the door for access of just a couple of seconds (also have get the keys out of the pocket to drive). Sounds silly I know but, A two pice key set would of worked for me... seems like they went cheap with the one piece setup. Just my opinion, thats all.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I like the big key. I keep it in my front pocket and it seems to attract women. Not sure why ;)

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
First, there isn't a place on your car you can hide a key that someone looking for it won't find it. And if your insurance company finds that you are doing it, they may be under no obligation to cover your car in the case of theft. You have a choice as to what you do, but I would be real careful about doing this. These keys are also very expensive for a reason, the added security that the key creates. Normal keys on older cars were very limited in the number of key combinations the could really handle so the keys were duplicated even within the same model line. Usually this isn't a problem that people run into, but once in a while you will find stories of someone opening the wrong car because the key fit and they didn't notice it wasn't theirs. So if you look at keys in general that provide this facility, most are approaching this general size, in fact my Subaru key which didn't provide this function wasn't much if any smaller than the key portion of this key from a length standpoint (it was rather a bit thinner).

Next, the Honda key is more rounded than most car keys which means that it is less likely than a normal house or car key, to cause any damage in a small bump.

Finally I would bet if you check the one key model is more expensive than the key and separate fob. Ergonomically the one key approach is probably better because you can definitely use the key by feel without having to figure out which side of the fob you have, also it makes for less clutter overall.

But like several other things, people are going to have different opinions on this. I think this key is great, I have less stuff in my pocket now that it isn't a key with a separate fob as I don't have a big ring between the key and the fob anymore. It also lays flatter in my pocket than the old setup. The only way I have ever scratched a car with my keys is trying to unlock the door with the key and not knowing where the keyhole really was, but since going to remote car door openers this hasn't been an issue for me.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I have no issue with the large key. I love how the door lock buttons are integrated into the key. Sure beats having a second remote dangling from your key chain. As for the German folding keys, they're great as long as the car runs. My only experience with German cars was a 2000 Passat with a "cry wolf" engine light that the on-board computers could never figure out. Got rid of that puppy pretty fast and returned to good ol' Japanese quality.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts