Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I recently purchased a 06 RTL with a 115k on the clock. The 105k service had been done at the dealer last May. I noticed a small oil leak so I took it into the dealer to have them look at it. So of course its never a nice and easy fix, the dealer told me that I have a main rear seal leak and also the oil pump housing is leaking. The want 3k to do this, I almost asked the guy if he was joking. The more I looked into this it looks like the rear seal is somewhat of a common occurrence with these Ridgelines. At this point Im kind of regretting buying it, I know its a 10 year old vehicle but it had always been serviced at the dealer and it only has 115k miles. What are your guys thoughts on this? Should I take it to a independent shop for a second opinion? Thanks

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
So I recently purchased a 06 RTL with a 115k on the clock. The 105k service had been done at the dealer last May. I noticed a small oil leak so I took it into the dealer to have them look at it. So of course its never a nice and easy fix, the dealer told me that I have a main rear seal leak and also the oil pump housing is leaking. The want 3k to do this, I almost asked the guy if he was joking. The more I looked into this it looks like the rear seal is somewhat of a common occurrence with these Ridgelines. At this point Im kind of regretting buying it, I know its a 10 year old vehicle but it had always been serviced at the dealer and it only has 115k miles. What are your guys thoughts on this? Should I take it to a independent shop for a second opinion? Thanks
I'm thinking you should be able to get it done for a whole lot less than that..... so YES, try an independent shop for a quote.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Define small oil leak please. Dripping? A lot?

Sometimes the rear main seal leak is really the main bearing cap side bolts leaking. This is an easy fix and might be worth investigating before doing the RMS.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-problems-issues/127961-oil-pan-gasket-replacement-questions.html#post1898321

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-problems-issues/94930-pesky-oil-leak-finally-solved-service-bulletin.html

If it is a RMS leak, then I can understand why it's typically a $1000 fix. Check this thread and especially the video in the first post:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/7-under-hood-performance/128689-another-rear-main-seal.html

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I have to keep reminding myself that I bought a 10 year old truck even though it drives like new. I have little gremlins right now I've just decided to live with. The TPM sensor on the right rear is always lit (the pressure is fine), the airbag icon lights up intermittently, The steering wheel is worn and could use replacement, I will have to have the timing belt done and on and on..If it were my truck and the leak was indeed small I would live with it and save up to have it fixed.

When I was looking for a truck I learned that just about all the brands had issues that could crop up and were known in the age bracket that I could afford. (7 to 10 years old in my area)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
'Agree with Speed.... $1k should be more in the ball park (vs. $3K).

Given the good 'bones' of the RL, and your relatively low miles, I've always looked at the cost of "fixing" flaws as an investment. You can pick off each of those pesky imperfections one by one & typically still get nowhere close to the cost of a replacement vehicle. AND you'll have each of those things fixed fresh & not likely to fail again. I've resurrected several very good but 'worn' vehicles in the past this way, right down to the upholstery, carpet, & headliners. 'Just depends on your inclinations really. Good Luck whatever you decide.

My vote would be to bite the bullet & get it fixed (presuming the cost is more like $1K). But I must say that I certainly would be one to try the leak-stopping oils that are out there first; on the outside chance they might just stop your drip. (Don't ignore Speed's references either.... you might find a much cheaper fix if that's your problem... you wouldn't be the first)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Define small oil leak please. Dripping? A lot?

Sometimes the rear main seal leak is really the main bearing cap side bolts leaking. This is an easy fix and might be worth investigating before doing the RMS.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-problems-issues/127961-oil-pan-gasket-replacement-questions.html#post1898321

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/71-problems-issues/94930-pesky-oil-leak-finally-solved-service-bulletin.html

If it is a RMS leak, then I can understand why it's typically a $1000 fix. Check this thread and especially the video in the first post:
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/7-under-hood-performance/128689-another-rear-main-seal.html
So when I first got it I noticed maybe a dime sized oil spot on the floor, it looked like it was coming from the oil drain plug. Then about a week later I noticed two more dime sized spots that were coming off the bottom of I believe the crank case.
After going over some recipts the previous owner had given me for work he had performed on it from the Honda dealer one of the things they had diagnosed was "oil seeping from main bearing side bolts". He had declined to have this fixed so I figured at least one of the leaks was this.
Fast forward to yesterday,I dropped of the Ridgeline at my local Honda dealership. I had told them what the previous dealership had said about the leak.
So after they diagnosed it the mechanic said it wasn't the side bolts(although he said he could see how they mistakenly dignosed it as the problem at the other dealership). He said it was indeed the RMS that was leaking as he had used some dye to locate it. He also said the other leak was coming from the oil pump housing.
Here is a breakdown of their prices to fix it-
RMS- $1600
Oil pump housing-$1400
That's how I came to the 3k. So I think at this point I'll take it to a independent mechanic who only works on Japanese engines and see what he says. I'll keep you guys notified of what I find out.
In the meantime I might try out the Max Life oil as I've seen some good reviews on it and possibly a oil additive for the seals.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
You could power wash the underside and get some of the spray sealant you see on infomercials. I mean if it will keep a boat from sinking....

(just kidding)

·
Registered
353 Posts
the quote i received for my rear main seal was $1200 at a local shop with former honda employees/mechanics. they said they needed it for at least 2 full days. i tried some atp leak stop and it stopped or sufficiently slowed down my rear main seal leak. the bottom of my engine is no longer wet and i'm not having any significant drop between 6 month oil change intervals.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I think $1200 is a fair price including parts and fluids etc. I would pay $1600 to a dealer if I had no trusty small shops around me.

But every vehicle always will have a rear main seal leak. Just when it will happen is usually inconvenient.

And the oil pump leak they basically need to remove all the timing belt/front of motor. Alot of work as well in a small area. Sucks is it probably wasnt leaking when the 105k was done but shortly after it started..and then you bought it.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
the quote i received for my rear main seal was $1200 at a local shop with former honda employees/mechanics. they said they needed it for at least 2 full days. i tried some atp leak stop and it stopped or sufficiently slowed down my rear main seal leak. the bottom of my engine is no longer wet and i'm not having any significant drop between 6 month oil change intervals.
Sounds like a perfect world ! You have your choice of what to do, and both seem like reasonable options.

:)

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Mine has the leak and I'm on my 2nd RMS. The first RMS only lasted 60,000 miles. I switched to Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage synthetic blend with "seal conditioners" and it made a huge difference. I no longer notice the leak or any spots on my driveway now. If it eventually does leak a little in the future, I'll just tell myself that I'm driving a British car so I'll quit worrying about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My '06 is beginning to have problems too, but I love the truck. My advice is to use a local mechanic you trust, or at least get a quote to compare it to the dealership quote. The closest Honda dealer to me has a very bad rep for ripping people off, but the one I use is good and it's an hour away.
So far, in the last 3 months, my temperature control unit on the dash under the radio needs to be replaced. And, the rad had to be replaced. I posted a string titled 160,000 miles or 267,000km that tells more about the rad issue.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts